Bringing food from the UK

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:03 am

The Defra page was last updated yesterday regarding taking foods out of UK.
This link is to the current poster
http://tinyurl.com/2yyd8x

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:59 am

That clears it up then :) I suppose this will apply to xmas puddings too and mince pies :( Son-in-law usually arrives with lots of luxury stuff at xmas. Suppose I am going to have to start baking :shock:

mary b
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mary b » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:09 am

very small handcuffs please ,or very big so that i can escape easily ,oh yes and a file in my christmas pudding
i never repeat gossip,so listen very carefully

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:59 pm

Oops, I look forward to the monthly goodie bag courtesy of the OH - who has unwittingly broke the rules over the last few months - given we buy local 90% of the time there is room for some of our favourite treats. Presumably its ok to buy non-UK cheese in the UK and bring that back - the vacherin is safe, phew!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:10 pm

katy wrote:Just a one off, I was visiting someone nearby.
The Duke of Devonshire? Lives in that big house near there? :wink: :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:51 pm

He owns the farm shop! Thought I ought to support local businesses that are struggling to survive. :wink:

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:48 pm

Wicksey wrote:I went shopping in Gib the other week and bought food to bring out into Spain. I don't think there's any restrictions, the only thing they used to worry about was alcohol and baccy, but they weren't stopping many cars at the border when I was there.
Don't count on that. OK to bring food into Spain, but tobacco and alcohol over the limit are not to be recommended. It is a big no-no. Seriously. We all hear of people that do it, but do not be tempted. It is not a good idea, and it is not that expensive to buy drink and tabs in Spain.

Now, as for the food. Morrisons is better stocked now. Lots of dairy produce, and other stuff that has been missing for ages. Plus they are trying to expand the store. But, as fast as it comes in, it goes out. Best days are midweek.
K&A

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:30 pm

I wasn't suggesting that we all smuggle alcohol and baccy into Spain Palmtrees :lol: :lol: :oops: The wine especially seems to be more expensive in Gib than here and I don't smoke so have never tried to bring that back. :wink: The queueing to get out was far shorter this time - I used to buy sandwiches and ice cream to eat in the queue as it took so long!
I found Morrisons disappointing when I went at the end of Oct but this was the first time since it changed from being Safeway, and I think I just preferred some of their own brand food.

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:18 pm

Wicksey wrote:I wasn't suggesting that we all smuggle alcohol and baccy into Spain Palmtrees :lol: :lol: :oops:

I wasn't for a minute saying that you were - but it does go on, and you do hear people bragging about doing it. I've been asked once by the GC if I was carrying tobacco, and I was so surprised I just glared right back (not something I normally do) and said "Non, nada." But they were uptipping a lot of other bags - I think it was a coach tour.
The wine especially seems to be more expensive in Gib than here and I don't smoke so have never tried to bring that back. :wink:
The wine is a pain, still I can find drinkable stuff for a couple of quid. And while I wouldn't smuggle into Spain, equally so, I wouldn't smuggle beer and wine into Gib either. It just isn't worth it IMHO.
The queueing to get out was far shorter this time - I used to buy sandwiches and ice cream to eat in the queue as it took so long!
I found Morrisons disappointing when I went at the end of Oct but this was the first time since it changed from being Safeway, and I think I just preferred some of their own brand food.
I think the queues vary depending on time of day, and day of week/month.

As I said Morries seems ok at the moment. They were very depleted at the height of the foot and mouth outbreak - a real shortage of vegetarian food for some strange reason. :? I don't mean dairy produce, I mean things like vegi slices, sausages, and tofu.

They've finally got a Morrisons name outside now too. I thought it was going to stay Safeway forever.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:06 pm

Yesterday, a friend told me that there were notices inside the store informing that many items were out of stock because of foot and mouth. She said whole aisles were stocked with spanish produce. The delivery trucks will not be allowed to cross Europe. Maybe they can bring in a lot from Ireland :?

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:24 pm

I haven't been for a few days. Suffering from woman flu. I'll have a look tomorrow or the day after and see how it's stocked. It's certainly been better than it was. If anyone is particularly interested in anything pls post or pm me and I will have a specific look. If I can find it. The reorganisation of the store is a major talking point at the moment in the queues.