Paella

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Paella

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:22 pm

Am I the only expat. in Andalucia who doesn't like the over hyped gloopy yellow stuff known as paella?
I'd much rather have cottage pie!

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:35 pm

How dare you!

Anything Spanish is fantastic, and anyone who disagrees is wrong !!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:47 pm

I am not crazy about it, after a few spoonfuls I find it boring. Always loads of shellfish in it without any fish ie. just shells. Most places throw in all the rubbish, chicken and rabbit bones without any meat etc. All hype innit :lol:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:02 pm

I don't actually like the taste of saffron!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:05 pm

In my opinion, Paella is overrated by about 90%, it's tasteless rubbish!
On the other hand if you only have 5 euros for your lunch I guess it's as good as anything else for that price!
Ah! the full english!!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:11 pm

I rather enjoy Paella. I once had one at a restaurant in Orgiva,....and it had (rather large) snails in!!!

A spanish neighbour once made us some and he never stirred it once! I thought it would be a gooey mess all stuck to the bottom of the pan, but it tasted devine!! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

.:JONTY:.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby .:JONTY:. » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:05 pm

There's a venta in La Muela where they do a menu del dia, 3 courses including a large beer, for €7 and the paella conejo is fantastic. You have to get there before 14.00hrs to make sure of a table.
Paella is only over rated when it's not prepared with the correct ingredients and not cooked by the correct method
A sense of humour is the lubricant of life's machinery

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:15 pm

Alpujarra wrote:How dare you!

Anything Spanish is fantastic, and anyone who disagrees is wrong !!

WOW, thats a new one, never realised everything was fantastic. :P :P :P

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:35 pm

Our village had a fiesta last December and made a huge paella in the square...and used oars to make it and dish it up!!

.:JONTY:.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby .:JONTY:. » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:10 pm

Well Karandjon, was it good or was it 'the over hyped gloopy yellow stuff known as paella' that pigs-might-fly does'n't like?
A sense of humour is the lubricant of life's machinery

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:23 pm

i luuuuuuuuurve paella. I love it in Spain and i love it here. LOVE IT.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:33 pm

karandjon wrote:I A spanish neighbour once made us some and he never stirred it once!
The first rule of Paella making is NEVER to stir it once you have added the stock to the rice. If you get a crust on the bottom that is the sign of a perfect Paella. The crust is called "Soccorat" in Spanish.

The second rule is to use a good stock rather than just water - fish stock for a seafood Paella and chicken/meat stock for a basic Paella.

Sid

Julie
Andalucia Guru

paella

Postby Julie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:05 am

I just love it, so long as I am the one who made it LOL
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:21 pm

.:JONTY:. wrote:Well Karandjon, was it good or was it 'the over hyped gloopy yellow stuff known as paella' that pigs-might-fly does'n't like?
It was great Jonty!!!Tasted fab!!!And to top it off, the local bar brought kegs out to the square, gave us all glasses and let us help ourselves to the beer!!! A great time was had by all. :lol:

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:07 pm

There is a chiringuito at San Pedro who do a wet paella, served like a very thick soup. We have never had it anywhere else but it is absolutely delicious. :)

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:44 pm

Our neighbour gave us some she had made not long after we had moved in. It was very good, but being vegetarian we didn't eat the HUGE prawns she had put in. The dogs did though, and they thought it was scrummy too.

Anyway I make mine in winter when fresh beans and broad beans are around, and sometimes I'll put some alcachofas in as well if I've cooked some previously (say for salad).

I don't think mine is gloopy, and it isn't very yellow, just tinted. Doesn't the really strong yellow colour come from the flavouring/colouring rather than actual saffron threads? Saffron is too pricey to put loads in - just a small amount is right.

It's like anything though - you can always cook things the way you like them at home.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:49 pm

palmtrees wrote: I don't think mine is gloopy, and it isn't very yellow, just tinted. Doesn't the really strong yellow colour come from the flavouring/colouring rather than actual saffron threads?
Yes, yellow colouring is usually used. As you say, saffron would be too expensive to get that level of colour and if you did, the saffron taste might be a bit overpowering.

Sid

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:52 pm

I find that you have to be careful with those small sachets of paella colourings/additives that the Spanish ladies swear by. I think it can give the Paealla a "packety" taste similar to that found in the Paella served up from those huge communal pans at ferrias etc.

Kenny

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:04 pm

Our next door neighbour comes from Gypsy stock on the coast. :P She cooked us a paella in a pan over wood embers. The mussels were served seperately first followed by the most amazing paella we have ever tasted. :D :D :D
Basically, if it is cooked correctly by someone who knows what they are doing with good fresh ingredients it should blow your mind in my opinion :!: :!:
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:28 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:I find that you have to be careful with those small sachets of paella colourings/additives that the Spanish ladies swear by. I think it can give the Paealla a "packety" taste similar to that found in the Paella served up from those huge communal pans at ferrias etc.

Kenny
Yes, you're right. They also contain seasonings as well as the colouring, I tried some a long time ago and hated it.

Colouring has no taste at all and is quite OK to use (unless you have a phobia of E numbers!).

As I have said before, the secret to the flavour is not just in the ingredients, you need a good stock as well. I use Knorr fish stock cubes and have found (after cooking dozens of paellas) that that results in the best taste. If you are not using shellfish use a good chicken stock.

Sid