Chick pea recipies please!

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
dido72
Resident

Chick pea recipies please!

Postby dido72 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Can all you kind people share your chick pea recipes, particularly hummus as I have an anemic veggie friend coming to stay!!!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Was just about to post my lamb shank and chick pea tagine recipe, but then I read your details about your friend :(
Veggies are barred from our place as they boff too much :wink:

Kenny

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Ah well, at least it's not cos you think we're all weirdo, tree hugging lefties who wear hair shirts (but not from a dead animal :wink: ) and listen to Morrisey :lol:

Dido, will consult my spells, sorry recipes, for you :)

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:18 am

Ooooh, houmous my fave. Get a jar of those cooked chick peas (or cook your own if you prefer) put into a blender with some chopped garlic (2 or 3 pieces ), Olive oil, lemon juice & Tahini (if you can get it, if not don't worry). Blitz it all up and add olive oil & lemon juice until you reach the consistency & flavour you like. Don't overdo the garlic as after an hour in the fridge the garlic flavour gets much stronger.

Chick pea stew,

Fry some chopped onions, garlic, celery, carrots & courgette in a pot until the onions are opaque. Put in some tomato puree and stir well. Then add a tin of triturado, some fresh ginger, paprika (pimiento dulce) & cayenne pepper to taste. Allow to cook for 10 mins and then add a jar of cooked chick peas or your own pre-cooked chickpeas, and cook until the vegetables are nearly ready, throw in some spinach and check the seasoning. When the spinach has wilted it is ready. Butter up some fresh crusty bread & get the bowls out :D :D
This is a real favourite in our house, and we're not vegetarian. Nest day we sometimes have it re heated with some chopped gammon or bacon in it :D

If she's anaemic she could probably do with some lentils & dried apricots too.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:53 am

Chick Pea Curry

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas , drained and rinsed

1 onion , diced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger , minced
5 garlic cloves , minced
1-4 teaspoon mrcurrys.com curry powder (or your favorite curry powder blend)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium tomato , diced
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
water

Directions
1Saute onions in olive oil for 3 minutes.
2Add ginger, garlic and curry powder (I use about 3 teaspoon for medium-spicy), stir and cook for another minute or so.
3Add chickpeas and salt and a tablespoon or so of water.
4Cook and stir about a minute.
5Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring gently.
6Add another spoonful of water if it seems dry or if it's burning or sticking.
7Serve with flatbread and rice.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:50 am

Falafel

675g/1½lb/6cups canned chickpeas, drained
1 red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
100g/3½oz wholemeal bread
2 small fresh red chillies
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp chopped coriander, plus extra to garnish
1 egg, beaten
100g/3½oz/1 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
Salt and pepper
Tomato and cucumber salad and lemon wedges, to serve

Put the chickpeas, onion, garlic, bread, chillies, spices and coriander in a food processor and process for 30 seconds. Stir and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Remove the mixture from the food processor and shape into walnut-sized balls.

Place the beaten egg in a shallow bowl and place the wholemeal breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip the balls first into the egg to coat and then roll them in the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.

Heat the oil to 180C/350F or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Fry the falafel, in batches if necessary, for 2-3 minutes until crisp and browned. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and dry on absorbent kitchen paper. Garnish with coriander and serve with a tomato and cucumber salad and lemon wedges.

Phew! Alternatively, get down to your nearest health food shop and buy a packet of falafel mix. Add water, 5 minutes in a saucepan & then fry to dressings you get with curries :D :D
Last edited by Cassandra on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:06 pm

I love falafel so, will definately be trying that Cassandra. Do you know if it can be baked instead of fried? I hate deep frying.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:35 pm

"Fry the falafel, in batches if necessary, for 203 minutes until crisp and browned."

Cassandra, the recipe sounds good, but not sure about the cooking instructions......... guess the kitchen might also be crisp and brown :lol:
Sandramay

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:39 pm

I roast veg (pumkin/squash is my favourite) with onions or leeks with some tomatoes and whole garlic cloves in olive oil with ground cumin, ground ginger and cinnamon. When it's just about cooked I add chick peas and fresh coriander for the last 5 mins, then serve this on top of couscous. I fry a little onion and garlic in oil until well cooked, add the couscous and get it coated, then add the water. I take it off the heat for 5 mins then break it up with a fork.

I like the sound of the fresh falafel - I wouldn't recommend dried packet mixes though. Once had onion bhajis made from a packet - the results were legendary :oops:

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:48 pm

:oops: slip of the finger, have now edited to read '2-3 minutes'

Crazyred, I don't see any reason why you couldn't shallow fry instead, it would just take a little longer. Not sure about baking though, I think they might dry out too much.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:17 pm

I've really got hooked on houmous since trying Tesco's different 'flavours' I particularly like their caramelised onion one.

Try this quick and easy James Martin recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 5668.shtml
and add chopped fried onions to it.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 pm

I've attempted to make felafel many a time...and every single time they disintegrate whilst being fried... :cry:

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:19 pm

Yum! Thanks everyone, I will keep trying these recipes even though my friend has gone home now, I think I am addicted to chick peas and they are only 38c for a huge jar at lidl!!!!! :shock: