A Cook's Tour of Spain Thurday Ch4 8pm

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
concorde
Resident

A Cook's Tour of Spain Thurday Ch4 8pm

Postby concorde » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:20 pm

A new 3 part series starts this Thursday at 8pm(u.ktime) on Ch 4

Sampling the regional cooking of rural Spain in a 1hr programme.

This series is by the presenters of Wild Gourmets programmes.

I loved the last series and hope this is as good.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:51 pm

thanks will look forward to it,

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:21 pm

me too! Thanks concorde. :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:10 pm

well that was good, can't wait for the next one,shame my oh hates galic, but i am sure i can still enjoy some of it with out,??

Chrissie
Resident

A cook's tour of spain

Postby Chrissie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:49 pm

That was an excellent programme :D Lovely to see the shots of Sierra de Aracena - such a beautiful area.
I'm really looking forward to the next part, and I must say it was nice to see somebody presenting who could communicate in Spanish :roll:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:30 am

Sorry me and the wife thought it was rubbish.

Her great tip that she got from Dolores about rice in the paella was that for every cup of rice you needed two of stock.

Great tip? Even I knew that.

Also, while I know animals are bred and kiled for our meat, I really did not need to see the animals being killed on screen.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:26 am

i think rubbish is a bit strong,??no i don't think we needed to see it's throat cut, but they did give you lots of time to not look,and to be honest i think Alan you are being a little picky about one cup to two,it possibly does help some people, and i am looking forward to the next, we watch alot of cooking on t.v and i thought the Spanish way, of more or less just cutting it up and chucking it in was refreshing,sorry to disagree,am not looking to argue.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:53 am

ha ha ha Alan i must tell you, the oh did not watch this last night, ha ha she as just passed me on the way to kitchen, and said would you like a nice bacon sandwich, ?? i said yes please, she said whats the matter, it seems i didn't put the normal WOW factor in my voice ha ha

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:04 pm

I really enjoyed it....didn't like the pig killing but i looked away!!

Looking forward to nexts weeks :D

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:11 pm

I watched it expecting to get some nice recipes or tips, all seemed pretty basic stuff, no great recipes I felt the need to try.
I switched over as soon as I realised I was about to witness a pig killing.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:58 am

Hi
We watched it too and enjoyed some parts, did not look during the pig killing but then still remember things like that from visiting my grandfather's farm as a kid. Was disappointed that the recipes on the Chanel 4 website relating to it were not the Spanish ones though! Still having looked it up, ended up downloading way too many recipes from the site. Will be busy putting them in my database for weeks now. Guess it will be something to do when not weeding.
Fred

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Good programme. It was nice to see a presenter actually able to converse with the locals.

I have never got on with two cups, two and a half is nearer the mark!!

In the programme guide it did say they were going to a matanza. I feel for any true vegetarians out there as the killing of any animal is distressing. For the rest of us meat eaters it is a fact of life that the animal has to die and it was right to show us the process. Perhaps everyone who eats meat ought to visit an abbatoir and get a permit before they can buy meat from a supermarket!

What I did find a bit poor was the way they had the pig by the nose with what looked like tongs. All of the matanzas I have been to don't use that method. Three or more strong men quickly wrestle the animal onto the killing bench and then one plunges a double sided dagger deep into the animals neck. They don't all catch the blood to make black pudding either. Of course that is Granada province.

Roll on the next programme

olive

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:02 pm

Tommi, the cook, apparently won Masterchef a couple of years ago, and I believe owns a Mexican restaurant in Covent Garden. Her partner on the programme seems to be a bit of a spare part at the moment.

Yes, it was a bit gruesome the pig killing, but surely this used to happen in the U.K. as most people used to have their own pig,

Still better for the animal than being stressed out travelling miles to an abattoir. I once saw a programme about the island of Tristan de Cuna, the island that was evacuated due to a volcano erupting. A cow was grazing quietly in a field and was shot with a high powered rifle, very quick and no stress for the animal.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:42 pm

It seems to be the latest trend in cookery programmes to show the barbaric side. Anything for the ratings :roll:

As for spanish cooking I agree with Michael Winner (probably a first) on how he rates it.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:16 pm

I agree with Michael Winner (probably a first) on how he rates it.
You will have to enlighten me Katy; I don't know his views on spanish cooking (or anything else for that matter).

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:07 pm

katy wrote:It seems to be the latest trend in cookery programmes to show the barbaric side. Anything for the ratings :roll:
I agree that anyone who eats meat should know exactly what happens to get the meat onto our plates. My grandfather taught me how to kill a chicken when I was 12 and although it's not something which filled me with joy to do, I know that if I had to feed my kids I would be able to do it again.

I thought it was a really good programme and I will definately be trying some of those salad recipes. I was starving by the end of the programme :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:26 pm

I must admit I found the programme disappointing. There were only brief glimpses of Spain and much of it seemed to be filmed in her kitchen (with that style of filming where the camera whizzes about following her every move which makes me feel sea-sick!). It was interesting to see the products from the wild pigs and made me fancy trying some better quality jamon and chorizo to the bog-standard stuff I usually buy, although I was surprised she fried the jamon in her recipes. If it was so wonderful, surely it should be eaten 'raw'?

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:59 pm

SECOND PART JUST COMING ON

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:59 pm

THIRD PART STARTS IN TWO MINUTES
Last edited by ken2 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Watched last weeks and found it really interesting so cheers for the reminder. Just caught the start in time to Sky+ it for later.