Jersey Royals

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Troglodyfae
Resident

Jersey Royals

Postby Troglodyfae » Mon May 26, 2008 10:32 am

I have just received a phone call from a friend who has just brought me back a 2 kilo sack of Jersey Royals. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am. I have not had them for nearly nine years, and they are a particular passion of mine.

I am going to the supermarket in a few minutes to buy a huge slab of butter, there should be complete silence from me for at least a day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any of you who live near Gibraltar they are on sale in the Morrisons supermarket, they are not cheap, but it is only money 8)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 26, 2008 10:44 am

I love them and am green with envy :) Bought some last week in Gib. Think they were about 3 GBP a kilo. My favourite. Leg of Lamb, Jerseys and fresh mint sauce. Have to send the chauffeur again this week. (Well, the OH that is :wink: )

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon May 26, 2008 12:19 pm

Don't know if this is an urban myth or not, but I did hear that Jersey spuds were fertilised in human manure :shock:

Still, years ago I'm sure that some rhubarb growers used human urine to boost their plants growth :(
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Mon May 26, 2008 3:19 pm

katy wrote:I love them and am green with envy :) Bought some last week in Gib. Think they were about 3 GBP a kilo. My favourite. Leg of Lamb, Jerseys and fresh mint sauce. Have to send the chauffeur again this week. (Well, the OH that is :wink: )
No need for lamb or mint sauce. Just a large bowl and plenty of butter. Image

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon May 26, 2008 3:44 pm

I have them all season, OH brings them back along with anything else on the shopping list! :)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 26, 2008 4:25 pm

I was in the UK the other week and I forgot to buy any .... doh :roll: . I really love them too and have only had them once in the 8 years since I left the UK. Are they a special variety or is it what they're grown in (see Concorde's earlier post :shock: ) .... they have a unique flavour and texture and I haven't had anything that matches them.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 26, 2008 4:40 pm

Wicksey wrote: Are they a special variety or is it what they're grown in (see Concorde's earlier post :shock: ) .... they have a unique flavour and texture and I haven't had anything that matches them.
They are a very special variety and only grow in Jersey - they won't even grow in Guernsey!

I doubt the story about the human waste - they did originally rely on the local seaweed as a fertilizer though.

Good site here http://www.jerseyroyals.co.uk/

Sid

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Mon May 26, 2008 11:18 pm

El Cid I have to agree with your post. As far as I was aware they were grown on a bed which had previously been fertilised with a seaweed mulch, however I was told that the EU did not agree with this method and would not give the potato growers in Jersey the authorisation to import them within the EU. This could be complete *beep* and if so I apologise in advance I have had a poop weekend I feel really ill, just had a massive asthma attack. I have just been ordered to bed :shock: and as I do not feel in the least bit well I might just let him think I wanted to do this :?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu May 29, 2008 5:54 pm

Thanks to this thread we're having lovely little pure white Jerseys tonight..........along with a rack of lamb (Katys idea of lamb) and a little spring cabbage, haven't had Jerseys since I left my mum and dads, we always go for Cyprus or Eddies so looking forward to it.

Anyway bit of an issue.................I thought a nice rich thick oxo gravy would fit the bill tonight but OH insists not..she's advocating just tossing the spuds in butter and a bit of chopped mint :? ...........I think the meal will be dry without me gravy but she just says "It's not a bloody Sunday roast".............what would any of you guys prefer just to settle this sulking match that's just kicking off 8)

Thanks,
Kenny

Chrissie
Resident

Jersey

Postby Chrissie » Thu May 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Kenny - just beg a little red wine and use it to deglaze the pan in which you've (or OH) :!: ) has cooked the lamb. Yummy gravy and not an OXO cube in sight :lol:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 29, 2008 6:48 pm

OMG I can tase and smell it. The chicken pasta suddenly seems bland an tasteless :(

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:42 pm

Don't know how I missed this item :oops:
Ok..........here are the facts: Jersey Royals are an absolutely delicious early season "kidney" potato. The classic way of preparing the cotil [ very steep sided field ] is by putting bladder vraic seaweed on it which is harvested from the bays in the autumn. No other fertilizer is used especially NOT what was purported earlier in the thread :shock: :!:
The most favoured way to cook is to boil with some fresh mint until tender and to serve with a good lashing of Jersey butter. That's it........it is about the only local delicacy I miss when in Spain apart of course from real ale :!: :!:
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:56 pm

Bandy wrote: Jersey Royals are an absolutely delicious early season "kidney" potato.
Yes, that's how I remember them but we have had two deliveries this year via friends visiting from the UK and in both cases they were much larger than I remember and certainly not the old kidney shape.

They tasted wonderful but I wonder if the growers are now finding it better business to sell them when they are a bit later but larger.

Sid

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:51 pm

I always thought "Jersey Royals" were a bit over-hyped...........a number of years ago (in my youth) we were privileged in Scotland to be able to buy Ayrshire new potatoes......and they indeed were scrummy served with a dollop of butter :-)

never see them nowadays and don't know why :-(

Gus

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 pm

I know I am a bit biased.......................... :lol: but I must admit that in my opinion the royals are not over hyped at all. In fact I have never heard of them having any hype at all more a sort of mystique like truffles and cavair and other premium grub. The Scottish potatoes will be much later season and so really can't be compared propely. However I have never tried them but being a devoted foodie would be delighted to have the opportunity :D I will ask one of my Scottish pals to do a rekkie for me when they are next back north of the border :!: :!:

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:52 pm

I totally agree - not over-hyped, but just fabulous! They're one of the (quite small) selection of things I do miss since moving here. Will have to have a trip to Gib and get some - I can feel a craving coming on.
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:47 pm

sampedrena wrote:I totally agree - not over-hyped, but just fabulous! They're one of the (quite small) selection of things I do miss since moving here. Will have to have a trip to Gib and get some - I can feel a craving coming on.
You will have to wait until next year - I doubt that they are available now.

Sid

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:26 am

Gosh - yes, that craving will be huuuuge by next spring! Thanks for the warning.
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:30 am

They are still available but are a bit larger called "mids" and the flavour is not so intense. They are however quite a bit cheaper than the very early dug ones. We had some yesterday and they were good but not like the "earlies". We find it best to boil them till tender , cool and then saute with a little local butter and some good olive oil..........YUM :!: :!:

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:14 am

Definately over hyped in my opinion too but then I come from Scotland where potatoes come in many splendid varieties, all much better than them :D I never liked the taste to Jersey Royals at all.