Flour

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Flour

Postby Anntonio » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi
Can someone let me know if there is self raising flour here and if so what is it called. I know that harina de trigo is wheat flour,but since my oh passed away I have to do the cooking and shopping. If you can only get plain do you just put more bicarbonato sodica with it?

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Flour

Postby costagirl » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi

I am not sure if you can buy self raising flour here but hope this link helps in some way.

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/breads ... _flour.htm

Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Anntonio » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks for the link costagirl. Will follow that. Delia seems to think we all have access to self-raising.Had a bash today with some bicuits and as I have 3 cockers I knew there would be no waste!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:57 pm

How did the biscuits turn out, Anntonio?

I just buy the normal Harino de Trigo and a tub of baking powder. (our Mercadona only sells the baking powder in sachets). when self raising flour is needed in a recipe i just add a teaspoon or 2 to the plain flour. that turns it into self raising.

Hope this helps, and hope the biccies turned out good! :D

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Kamila
Resident

Postby Kamila » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:05 pm

A lot of chefs don't like using self raising flour. they say that you can't say how fresh the flour is and therefore don't know how well will the raising agent work.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:41 pm

You can get self raising flour here and it is called Harina de trigo con levadura (Mercadona) Frankly I no longer bother just buy heaps of plain flour and baking powder which I buy in a pack of ten sachets at lidl. They are called Levure Chimique but most shops sell baking powder which is levadura en polvo.

Biggest problem I found here is trying to buy powdered gelatine, as I essentially wanted it for home made pork pies and game pies. I gave up asking in the end as all they could offer was the 'jello' type powder for sweet jelly. I just buy a trotter now and slow cook it with seasoning, strain the liquid and leave until set and freeze. Dogs really appreciate the trotter too :mrgreen:

Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Anntonio » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:48 pm

Thanks for the tips. The biscuits turned out fine, but went soft the next day. Wanted to make ginger biscuits, but don't know the Spanish for ginger (help) Anyway the dogs liked them. I like the game pie idea. I used a lot of game back in the Dales, as I did a lot of shooting and beating, but has I was by myself I'm affraid I very seldom used a whole bird, but when you have 18 pheasants and 6 ducks to do and your lodger is a vegitarian, you have to act quick!She found 1 feather and b----- me! and then took me to task of keeping them in MY freezer next to her Linda Mc mince! as if they would cross contaminate.In those days I used to make a batch of, chilly, spag bols or whatever and save marge tubs, then freeze them, when I got home I could micro one and have a god meal, although being male I never thought to label them!! Thought about making chicken curry once, then thought about all those pheasent,duck and partridge breast in the freezer so made a curry out of those. Could not keep my friends away from the door.I still save marge tubs and cook a batch to freeze,of whatever, don't have a micro w here, but defrosts quick. Sorry for the long whinded reply, but when you are alone on the campo this site and your patience realy helps.
Anntonio

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi

the spanish word for 'ginger' is jengibre