Frozen chips

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Frozen chips

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:33 am

maisie moo wrote: I usually use regular olive oil for cooking (except chip frying for hubby as it doesn't reach higher temps).

I use Olive oil for deep frying. The only type that isn't really suitable is Extra Virgin as it has a maximum temperature of 190c which is about the maximum setting on an electric fryer.

The cheaper, non virgin, oils are good for 225c but you shouldn't need be using oil that hot.

Sid

maisie moo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maisie moo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks to Wicksey and El Cid for your detailed explanations. I have been misunderstanding the oil uses then. It sounds like "ordinary" olive oil is the equivalent of cheap soft margarine..which is disgusting. I like to try and "up" our intake of anti-oxidants and vits, so I will buy a couple of "virgins" on my next shopping trip....that should put a smile on hubby's face!!!!!

Maisie

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:54 am

The ventas in our village all fry chips in olive oil.
I spoke to the owner about them once. He says the secret to make them so tasty is to pre salt the fresh chips prior to frying. I have never tried it myself but his chips are really very good and crispy.

maisie moo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maisie moo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks anis...will give it a go.

Maisie

Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mydogdylan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:03 pm

I remember years ago we went to Skiathos and found this Chinese restaurant and when we asked for Chips and Prawn Crackers with main meal they replied that they did'nt do Chips or Prawn crackers :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .

We complained and then got up and left.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:40 pm

I love frozen chips alongside an effin big donner oh and frozen margueritas are good too, I had a couple last year in Puert Valletta, huge glasses :lol:
Ah! the full english!!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:31 pm

I prefer on freshly cooked chips except when I make them myself, Then It's frozen oven chips cos i'm too lazy.
All this talk about food is making me hungry I'm off to buy a donner and chips with plenty of chlli sauce. mmmmm :D