Frozen chips

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Frozen chips

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Why do so many bars, restaurants etc, both here and in the UK, insist on using frozen chips. It would be so much cheaper for them to use fresh potatoes.

We are not great chip eaters but if thinking of having them we make a point of asking if they are fresh or frozen. One of our local bars uses frozen but will do fresh if you ask nicely. :)

Not a lot of point asking in Burger King though!
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

murbisa
Resident

Re: Frozen chips

Postby murbisa » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:32 pm

Burger King chips are not even made from potatoes :lol: :lol:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:47 pm

murbisa wrote:Burger King chips are not even made from potatoes :lol: :lol:
Not entirely true, they do contain some potato, but with some extras! According to Burger King itself, their "fries" contain:

Potatoes, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Modified Potato Starch, Rice Flour, Potato Dextrin, Salt, Leavening (Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Sunflower Oil, Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate added to preserve natural color, Natural† and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Smoke Flavor. †Natural flavors from plant sources.

BTW They removed flavourings made from meat products a few years ago to make them vegetarian, and nobody noticed!

As I said in the opening post, what's wrong with a proper chip?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Campo Steve wrote:Why do so many bars, restaurants etc, both here and in the UK, insist on using frozen chips. It would be so much cheaper for them to use fresh potatoes.
So what is wrong with frozen chips?

Do you never eat frozen peas?

Frozen chips are cheaper for the restaurant as they are usually partially pre-cooked and there is no preparation involved - one shot in the deep fryer and out to the customer.

Makes sense to me - I would never consider making fresh chips.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:31 pm

El Cid wrote:Frozen chips are cheaper for the restaurant as they are usually partially pre-cooked and there is no preparation involved - one shot in the deep fryer and out to the customer.
Sid
Like you, I'd have thought it was obvious, no prep, and five miutes in the fryer, and the food is ready.
"Real" chips, by the time you wait for someone to peel them, then about 20 minutes to cook them, at best the customer is going to be waiting 30 minutes minimum. Personally, when I took over most of the cooking at home, I threw out the chip pan, so we might have chips if we eat out, but that's the only time, and if they are prepared, that's fine by me.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:56 am

We normally get a bag of frozen chips when we go to morrisons~usually a good make like Aunt Bessie or something along those lines.
I always find oven chips thrown in the oil crisp up far nicer than "frying chips".
Nothing wrong with frozen chips. :D

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:40 am

El Cid wrote: what is wrong with frozen chips?

Do you never eat frozen peas?

Frozen chips are cheaper for the restaurant as they are usually partially pre-cooked and there is no preparation involved - one shot in the deep fryer and out to the customer.

Sid
I do eat frozen peas, but at least they are, in the main, just that. Frozen peas.

I had a conversation a while back with a bar owner out here and he couldn't work out why fresh chips aren't used. He had all the figures and worked out that decent frozen chips actually cost 3 times as much as real chips. Many places use the cheapest frozen chips, regardless of quality. I accept that there is additional prep time but with so many bars etc struggling I would have thought every cent counted.

My point, though, is that unless a decent frozen chip is used, they just aren't appetising.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:01 am

Each to their own I guess Steve. If somebody is in the frozen chip and Turkey Twizzler camp then I think your very understandable wish for proper ingredients to be used wouldn't draw much sympathy :mrgreen:

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:06 am

Oh dear - we HAVE all lived here too long - me included! Turkey twizzlers, frozen peas and the raging debate to peel - or not to peel!!
Campo Steve - you need David *beep* on your side - very apPEELing and cheap as chips :)

Sorry for the post :oops:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:06 am

Dikinson :shock:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:45 am

We once ate at a place in Mijas which said all their chips were handcut etc. Worse chips I have ever eaten! soggy and greasy. Looking at the price of potatoes in spain I would think that the large catering packs of frozen ones will work out cheaper.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:00 am

Regardless of the origin of the chip, they still have to be cooked properly. If the fat isn't hot enough to start with the chips will come out soggy and greasy.

Prices may have changed since I last worked it out. But, to me, a properly cooked hand-cut chip is far preferable to any frozen chip.

Mind you, since moving out here permanently two years ago we have cut way back on the amount of chips we eat. My shrinking waistline is testament to that!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:14 pm

I have nothing to say on this subject - absolutely nothing.
Dave

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:19 pm

... but I do have a tip if you keep cutting your gums while eating crisps. Simply steep them in water for a few minutes.
Dave

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:56 pm

:lol: :lol: ...... bet you wished you'd never started this one, Steve :lol:

I do agree with you though. I never cook chips at home so occasionally if I have them out I do like them to be proper chips, made freshly with potato. The frozen ones seem to be all floury inside or they are those skinny little French fries which I hate. On the occasions I have been back to the UK I always treat myself to fish and chips where the chips are 'real' chips.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:44 pm

Real chips for me too, everytime :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:57 pm

Now, if you REALLY want to know how to cook chips

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 542776.ece

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Mowser wrote:... but I do have a tip if you keep cutting your gums while eating crisps. Simply steep them in water for a few minutes.
How on earth do you soak your gums?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:13 pm

Stop - is there anyone who cuts their chips to exact measurements? Scary :shock:

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:25 pm

My granddaughter picks both ends off her chips with her fingers and eats the middle. It is disgusting!!