Can you freeze fresh cheese?

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Can you freeze fresh cheese?

Postby yummymummy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:00 pm

I´ve been given a rather large piece of queso fresco de cabra and have opened the packet and, as much as I love the stuff, its impossible to eat it all .... sooooooo wondering if I can freeze it. Anyone know?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Can you freeze fresh cheese?

Postby Enrique » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi yummymummy,
There I was thinking you're a Domestic Goddess........... :D

Could always try a small portion.......freeze..leave a few days and thaw in fridge.
If it turns out not quiet right better invite some A.com members round for a cheese and wine do 8)

http://www.ochef.com/86.htm

:D
Ripped from the web........... :oops:

"This cheese will keep for several weeks in the fridge. From experience I have learned that this cheese does not freeze well."
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Can you freeze fresh cheese?

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 pm

You can freeze it but the texture may change when you thaw it out.

With a fresh cheese the water content may be a bit high and it may separate or go grainy but it may be possible to mix it back to the original texture - give it a try with a small sample for 24 hours and see what happens.

Soft creamy high fat cheeses like Camembert freeze OK but some hard cheeses like cheddar go a bit crumbly when frozen. Generally, from my experience, most cheese freezes OK.

It really is a question of try it and see.

Sid