Carobs

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Carobs

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:21 pm

We have a large carob tree in the garden, well away from the house.

We have read that carob can be used in many ways, as a thickening agent, as a chocolate substitute etc.

What are the best ways of using carob. Is it the seeds or the outer shell that is used, or both? If different uses, what is the best way to open the fruit to separate the seeds from the outer bit as they can be quite hard, when are they ripe etc?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as it would be a shame to see all that usable produce go to waste.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Carobs

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Have a look at " CAMPO, A guide to the Spanish Countryside" by Sandy Walker. Page 33 is a good place to start.

I am sure you will have a copy or at least know someone who has; a good friend, perhaps!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks ajtg1952. Sounds like a good book to get/borrow.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:10 pm

According to Spanish friends, it is used as animal feed, but despite having many sizeable trees on their properties, I know they don't bother doing anything with them.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:47 pm

I remember once picking for hours with others, filling a van with them they then weighed what seemed like tons of them and gave us 1,000 Pesetas at the factory.
After that we decided it wasn't worth it and gave them to the local goat man. The goodwill was worth much more than the cash.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:07 pm

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a market for Carob. After all, Cadbury add it to their chocolate. At least, they do at their New Zealand factory so I assume they do at their others.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:19 pm

Now we have established what the Spanish don't do with them, what CAN you do with them.

As they are used elsewhere as a chocolate substitute I assume you cab bake with them.

Is it the pod, the seed or both that should be ground down for use in baking?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:47 pm

After harvesting, the long bean-like pods from the carob tree are cooked for a short time or roasted and then ground into carob powder (roasting enhances its chocolate-like flavor). Carob can be used to make such items as cakes, cookies, candy, pudding, icing, bread, beverages, shakes, ice cream, muffins, fudge, and brownies. Carob is naturally sweet and requires much less sweetener when used in recipes. When replacing chocolate with carob in a recipe, use 3 tablespoons of carob powder plus 1 tablespoon of water for every ounce of unsweetened chocolate called for. When substituting cocoa powder, use an equal amount of carob powder. Remember to reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe because of the natural sweetness of carob.
Seemingly it's also good for severe cases of diarrhea, and " A decoction(sic) of the leaves and bark has been useful for syphilis and venereal diseases, and seems to have a soothing effect on epilepsy." :thumbup: I think unless you use a lot of chocolate in cooking, or suffering from any above the above, is it worth the bother. :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:24 pm

friends in coin "weigh them in" to the fruit co-op - they got quite alot for them, but it was alot of the "fruits".

they have to move them because they have horses and they apparently are not supposed to eat too many, because of the sugar content?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Our friend Josè took us into someones stable/ house, where there was a large mound of them and gave us a couple to taste. He then told us you get some massive rats running round in here! We looked at each other slightly shocked, but he said don't worry, we only feed the carobs to the animals! Nice!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:47 pm

It is primarily used as an additive in the food processing industry - as a thickener and stabiliser. You will probably not find a commercial ice cream that does not contain it.

It is known as E410

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:06 pm

it's also good for severe cases of diarrhea
Do you mean it is good for giving you diarrhoea (note English spelling!) or curing it? :wink:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.