A minor problem but I'm fed up with it

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
alisonb
Resident

A minor problem but I'm fed up with it

Postby alisonb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 am

Is there anywhere you can buy lean York ham which isn't swimming in water when you open it? I must have tried every type in Mercadona, and there's no other word for it but processed and slimy. We were getting small packs of Dulano ham from Lidl and it was lovely but they seem to have stopped doing it and the bigger Dulano packs are OK but not as nice. Lidl have also got some German prepacked ham which is OK, but I would love to find someone who does real sliced ham, and not minced and reformed. I would happily buy ham sliced off the bone if it's out there. Lacon (?laicon) is much better but tends not to be lean. Am I the only one who cannot abide the feel of most prepacked ham here?
AlisonB

Laslomas
Resident

Re: A minor problem but I'm fed up with it

Postby Laslomas » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:07 pm

I agree with you concerning the ham available in the shops here. I do sometimes find a good one in MAS at the deli counter. I ask for it to be cut thickly and it is really good for a Ham Egg and Chips meal. :D
I see you are located in the Vinuela area, I thought it would be easier for you to find a good ham as I know there are a few UK food shops in your area. I know one used to advertise 'if you need it we will supply it'. :?

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Laslomas - yes we have English food shops, but I try to use the Spanish supermarkets. I wouldn't know what brand to ask for, as I haven't bought any in UK for a long time. We used to get some freshly carved on deli counter at Tesco. Will try MAS. I also love cooking my own - but on the odd occasions I've found a gammon joint, I needed a mortgage.
AlisonB

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:22 pm

There is a butcher called Espejos in the Mercado Municipal in Torre del Mar who often has this type of ham, and he will slice it to whatever thickness you like.
Hardworking resident !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Some delis/butchers sell Westphalian ham on the bone. It is slightly smoked and has a great flavour.

The German ham in Lidl is similar and probably the best you will find ready sliced.

York ham is a dry cured ham and tradition has it that originally it was smoked in the oak shavings from the building of York Minster.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Never found any eatable. I used to buy some for the pets from Mercadona and made me feel sick when I opened it. Had to do it as I had spoilt the dogs and the little buggers wouldn't eat their meat without ham on the top :roll: Morrissons in Gibraltar has some nice carved ham.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:47 am

Alison, you cannot buy "york ham" in Spain, El Cid is partially correct, york ham should be smoked with any shavings found WITHIN the original walls of York, I was born here and I know, however modern techniques have surpassed the truth and apparently you can purchase "York style" hams in other areas of the world but I'm pretty sure you won't get the real deal in Andalucia, I can describe to you how to do a close copy yourself if yuo like by pm, Retro P.
Ah! the full english!!

Kamila
Resident

Postby Kamila » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Alison, if you are near Hipercor/Supercor then buy Jamon cocido ahumado Praga. It is a slightly smoked ham sliced of the bone. The ham is dry, not the wet type. Have a look at their brochure, http://www.hipercor.es/hiper/hipercor/p ... DM=27&NM=1, it is on page 7.
http://www.hipercor-espacioypunto.es/hipercor281010/#

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:51 am

iceland sell a nice one, or dia - they have a nice "off the bone" ham, i think its about 2,75 for a 1/4.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:41 pm

I was in a local bar the other day, and they had ham on the bone - peppered, which was fabulous. I bought some to take home and even him indoors enjoyed it. It's from Colmenar, and looking round some of the bars in Velez, several of them seem to get this from Colmenar. So now I've got an excuse to go in the bars regularly - who needs a deli?!
AlisonB

cassiegirl

Postby cassiegirl » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:30 am

Just seen this post - (not been on here for a long time!)

The big butcher at the crossroads at Puente - near to Vinuela - has excellent cooked ham which they carve off the bone. It's far superior to any pre-packed ham from a supermarket.

I also buy large gammon joints from either of the English food shops in Puente or from Shelley at the Trapiche market on Tuesday or Friday market at Puente, and cook it myself - boiled and then glazed and roasted - it's always very good :)
Read here about the weather they don't tell you about in 'A Place in the Sun' ;)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Extremes-of-...Costa-del-Sol#