keg of beer

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
metalmonkey
Resident

keg of beer

Postby metalmonkey » Tue May 10, 2011 2:47 pm

does anyone know if its poss to buy a keg of english beer from anywhere near malaga/ :eh:
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: keg of beer

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 11, 2011 6:11 pm

you can get heiniken from the mahou supplier. they do supply to private parties too.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

guineapiggirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby guineapiggirl » Wed May 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Heiniken isn´t English beer!!!!! madre mia!!! In fact I wouldn´t even call it beer!!!

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Wed May 11, 2011 9:48 pm

I assume you have a perticular beer brand in mind and you have facilities to dispence same, that being the case you can buy it from some of the English bars in your area and they will probably charge you a premium to sell you a keg.
It is a pretty technical process and some equipment is necessary to do this.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu May 12, 2011 7:43 am

I'm sure some of the British bars in Fuengirola, Torremelinos etc must sell British beer. Ask nicely and I am sure they will point you in the right direction to get a "keg".

Mind you, don't know why anyone would want a keg of British beer. If we were talking a "cask" of cask conditioned ale, that would be different.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Thu May 12, 2011 10:51 am

Watney's Keg Red Barrel anybody!!Oops showing my age.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu May 12, 2011 2:24 pm

it might be easier to buy a DeLoreon and travel back in time??

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Fri May 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Campo Steve wrote:If we were talking a "cask" of cask conditioned ale, that would be different.
Steve, just for the record, there’s a ‘micro brewery’ in Vélez Rubio in Almeria, that produces ‘cask conditioned beer’ Their ‘Saxon Bitter’ is as good as you get in Britain….Feel a thirst coming on mate?

gretch

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat May 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Guess where I am going next time I visit Almeria! Cheers Gretch

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun May 15, 2011 12:11 pm

When did they stop making it?
Dave

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sun May 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Maybe I'm dense, but when did who stop making what?
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun May 15, 2011 4:58 pm

JAWG wrote:Maybe I'm dense, but when did who stop making what?
When did they stop making Watney's Red Keg Barrel?
Dave

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun May 15, 2011 5:15 pm

I still have one of these:

I think Red Barrel met its end in the early 1970s
Let's go Brandon!

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sun May 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Thank you, Mowser. I couldn't get back that far in the postings, and anyway, I know nothing about Watney's Red Keg Barrel
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Fri May 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Actually it was marketed as just "Watneys red barrel, I don't know if it's still available it always tasted like **** though anyway, give me a flagon of good old Theakstons "Old peculiar" or Timothy Taylors "landlord " and I'll be happy !

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Fri May 20, 2011 9:46 pm

metalmonkey wrote:does anyone know if its poss to buy a keg of english beer from anywhere near malaga/ :eh:
metalmonkey, keg beer is sold in several different forms:

English Cask conditioned beer is normally available in wooden barrels but I doubt you can get it in Spain, if you can you will need to "rest" it for a couple of days on a solid stillage then tap it, first you need to remove the top bung then bang in a wooden "tap" (and you need to do it in one smooth action, and you need to know how to do it, then rest it for another couple of days then you can drink it.
If it's delivered in a stainless keg then you need a chiller and a delivery system (not normally available to the general public).
Sorry to sound like a stuffed shirt but as an ex landlord I know how difficult it is to get it right, without the right background and equipment it won't be easy !

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Fri May 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Sorry I forgot to add, if you just need a keg of beer for a large social function then the San miguel brewery at San Julian do a package whereby you can rent a chiller and dispenser for a deposit and they will sell you the beer.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat May 21, 2011 7:12 am

Bowler said
and you need to do it in one smooth action, and you need to know how to do it
How true. Get it wrong and you could get very wet.

Cask conditioned ale brewed in UK would require a lot of work if shipped from UK to Spain to get it right when served. I have seen bottle conditioned ale on sale in Spain though. There used to be a small company that sold it in some of the markets, including bottled Old Peculiar) here but I think they went out of business.

As suggested, if it is for a party, then maybe a keg of San Miguel or Mahou would be more practical. Check with your local bar who their local supplier is. They will often rent out the equipment and sell you a keg or two. The one in Benamargosa certainy will. Easier than going to San Julian and they will normally deliver and set the equipment up.

As an aside, if you are ever in the west of Scotland you can do worse that pop into the Glenpark Hotel in Ayr where they have their own micro-brewery producing some very nice ales. They are now also supplying some others pubs in the west of Scotland and Glasgow. The brewery is the Ayr Brewing Company. They do four beers - Leezie Lundie abv 3.8%, Jolly Beggars 4.2% (Bronze medal winner at the Scottish Beer Festival in Edinburgh), Towzie Tyke 4.6% and Rabbies Porter that won Best Ale at The Troon Ale Festival. That may sound like abit of an advert, it is, the owners are friends of ours, but they are genuinely nice ales.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat May 21, 2011 7:44 am

Mowser wrote:
JAWG wrote:Maybe I'm dense, but when did who stop making what?
When did they stop making Watney's Red Keg Barrel?
Watneys Red Barrel (changed name to just Watneys Red in 1971 in what they called the Red Revolution) ceased production in 1979. The name continued though. A 3.9% abv pale lager with the name Watneys Red Barrel was sold by the Sleeman Brewery until 1997 and a 6.0% beer with the same name is still brewed by Alken-Maes. Nothing like the original Red Barrel, which is maybe not a bad thing although I haven't tried it.

Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQLhfbBt1Lc

The main thing I remember about Red Barrel was that if you were going to a party you could get it in Party 4's and 7's (4 and 7 pint cans)! Legless (ish) on one can!

ianorpe

Postby ianorpe » Tue May 24, 2011 8:23 am

The Robin Hood at Estepona has just taken delivery of 3 cask ales. Bitter, Porter and a Red Ale.
These are Cask conditioning now in their own air conditioned cellar below the bar, the beer is then drawn up to the beer engines through a cooled python, they hope to re open this week, and will be serving the real ales. Well worth a visit.