Very cheap red wine

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Very cheap red wine

Postby El Cid » Wed May 18, 2011 7:37 pm

No, but if you want some Petrus is seems that Bernie Madoff has had all his goods seized to pay off his Ponzi Scheme debts.

There are a few cases going for a mere $60000 - a real snip - get in there fast!

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed May 18, 2011 10:13 pm

El Cid wrote:
But, as I said before, most Spanish wines have the grape variety on the back label - if you find a wine based on a particular grape variety that you like, that is the place to look first.
Sid
Certainly a lot do, but I like Albariño, and most seem to have the grape type on the front. Spanish friends gave us a bottle of this last week, and like most albariño, the grape variety is on the front label.
http://www.spanishtablewines.com/produc ... ixas.html#
I´m no wine expert, or wine snob, but I don´t think 5l at £3.99 would appeal to my palate! :)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 19, 2011 6:56 am

Yes Frank, it's more common with Spanish white wines than with red wines. I think that's because the differences in taste between the various grape types is more pronounced with white grapes.

Anyway, we can go on all day about wine nomenclature but Ken2 asked where he could buy a "Pinot Noir". My point was that it would be A) difficult and expensive to find one in Spain and B) the words Pinot Noir would be more likely to be found on the back than the front.

Now if we were shopping in Sainsburys surrounded by "New World" wines that would be entirely different!

Unfortunately Spain is very parochial about its wines and finding any "foreign" wines is very difficult!

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu May 19, 2011 9:02 am

El Cid wrote:Yes Frank, it's more common with Spanish white wines than with red wines. I think that's because the differences in taste between the various grape types is more pronounced with white grapes.

Anyway, we can go on all day about wine nomenclature but Ken2 asked where he could buy a "Pinot Noir". My point was that it would be A) difficult and expensive to find one in Spain and B) the words Pinot Noir would be more likely to be found on the back than the front.

Now if we were shopping in Sainsburys surrounded by "New World" wines that would be entirely different!

Unfortunately Spain is very parochial about its wines and finding any "foreign" wines is very difficult!

Sid
Agree, especially about buying wine from anywhere else other than Spain, very little choice and expensive. I've said before, we mainly drink Spanish wine, but also like some of the Chileans, Australians, New Zealand etc. I like to have the the choice. We came back from Spain yesterday, wife went shopping as the cupboard was bare, and couldn't resist some Chilean wines on offer, £8 odd down to £4, there are always very good wines on offer selling at good prices. We've bought Viña Sol here recently at roughly the same price as we saw it in Spain, £4 and €4+
Regards, Frank

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 19, 2011 10:40 am

Faustino1 is the same price in the UK. Sainsbury are selling £8.99 wines at 3 for £10 plus an extra 5% discount if you buy 6.

Alcampo sells a few French and new world wines.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 19, 2011 10:54 am

katy wrote: Alcampo sells a few French and new world wines.
Yes it's the best of a poor bunch! In our local Alcampo they have about 2 metres of shelf space out of hundreds but it's better than nothing! I also managed to find a Tunisian red in Eroski lurking with all the Spanish reds.

Makro in Malaga have a small selection as well.

Sid

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu May 19, 2011 5:03 pm

If you have a Makro nearby and have a Makro card, there are many many wines in there from all over the world at varying prices.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Fri May 20, 2011 1:26 pm

I don't know who is correct here but I do know that Pinot Noir IS an individual wine and native to the Burgundy region of France so I guess all Burgundies contain Pinot Noir.

It is also a major ingredient of Champagne, perhaps we need a wine expert here, would that be an Oenologist ??

€3.99 for 5 litres can't possibly be good for the liver, you sure it's not some kind of antifreeze or windscreen washer ??

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri May 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Bowler wrote:I don't know who is correct here but I do know that Pinot Noir IS an individual wine and native to the Burgundy region of France so I guess all Burgundies contain Pinot Noir.

It is also a major ingredient of Champagne, perhaps we need a wine expert here, would that be an Oenologist ??

€3.99 for 5 litres can't possibly be good for the liver, you sure it's not some kind of antifreeze or windscreen washer ??
Pinot noir is a black wine grape variety of the species Vitis Vinifera not the name of a wine.
Pinot noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France.
Burgundy wine does not always contain Pinot Noir. White wines from Burgundy are usually made from Chardonnay grapes.
There is no tax on wine in Spain €3.99 for 5 litres would cost about £18.55 in the UK (£2.41 excise tax per litre + 20% vat on total cost). or £3.71 a litre.
Ann

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Most red burgundies, certainly the classic ones, are made from Pinot Noir. Beaujolais, which also comes from the Burgundy region, is made from the Gamay grape. As annphoto said, the white Burgundies are usually made from the Chardonnay grape.

Champagne is also made from the Pinot Noir grape which is very unusual as it is usually used for red wines. The production process prevents the red colour in the skins getting into the wine. They usually contain the white Chardonnay grape as well.

Spanish Cava is made primarily from indigenous Spanish grapes such as Macabeo, Xarel-lo and Parellada. Some are made from Chardonnay, one well known example being Anna de Codorniu. Just a few contain some Pinot Noir.

From a personal tasting perspective, the one French grape that seems to have done really well in Spain is Chardonnay - there are some seriously good ones available.

That said, Spanish winemakers seem to be getting better and better - there are now some superb wines available that are the equal of many more established wines.

Sid

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Fri May 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Cono sur 2009 and Hawkes bay 2005 are marketed as being "pinot noir" and it is clearly stated on the label(for those of you who like to google) I do love a good brawl :)

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 pm

I do not class myself as being knowledgable about wine but evidently there are many wines out there being marketed as "pinot noir" and stating so on the labels, it's a surprise to me as I always thought that this particular strain was always used for blending but clearly I was misinformed, apparently along with many others :think:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 20, 2011 10:03 pm

In the "New World" wines are often labelled as "varietals" ie, the grape from which they are made.

Even then they will have some other brand name. For example, you will not normally find a New Zealand wine labelled as just "Sauvignon Blanc" - it will be, for example "Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc" - a superb wine if you can afford it!

In France only the cheaper wines from a general area would be labelled just as the grape variety. You certainly would not easily find a "Pinot Noir" in Burgundy any more than you would find a wine labelled as "Cabernet Sauvignon" in Bordeaux although it is the predominant grape variety in that area.

In the Loire area of France the classic wine is Sancerre or Puilly Fume - both made from the Sauvignon Blanc grape - I doubt that you would ever see "Sauvignon Blanc" on the label - not even on the back.

Spain is somewhere in the middle when it comes to labelling. Most of the reds do not describe the grape on the front label but usually on the back. The whites are more often labelled with the grape variety on the front than the reds but they are also more commonly known by the makers name - ie. Marques de Riscal Sauvignon Blanc" or Sanz Classico Verdejo".

Sid

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Fri May 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Right !!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri May 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Very dry white and/or full-bodied red.

That's me sorted :wink:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat May 21, 2011 8:13 am

Hmmm, looks like I'm the only Blue Nunner 'ere then :think: :D
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat May 21, 2011 8:29 am

Devils Advocate wrote:Hmmm, looks like I'm the only Blue Nunner 'ere then :think: :D
Yeh, I had you down as a Liebfraumilch man, a man of no taste! :lolno:
Regards, Frank

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat May 21, 2011 8:32 am

Gracias Frankie :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat May 21, 2011 8:32 am

I don't know about anyone else but I don't recall ever having a Spanish wine that wasn't good,even the ones costing less than designer bottled water have been drinkable.
Can't say that for some of the French stuff.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue May 24, 2011 10:04 am

Hirondelle any body.it goes down well with Watneys Red or Old English cider!