10 Essential Foods from UK..

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: 10 Essential Foods from UK..

Postby hillybilly » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:As a friend of mine once said about a famous female actress/singer..........."She'll never be a true vegetarian until they invent the Quorn willy" :mrgreen:
Trust me, it's amazing what you can create with a packet of Sosmix and a healthy imagination :wink:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Hilly, after you put me straight about my flu pipes I certainly trust anything you say now mate :D
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 pm

hillybilly wrote:Oh yes, mange tout...why oh why can't you get them
I know!!! I may have to raise the issue with Manky D's!! I love sugar snap peas & would often buy them when I worked in Gib as an afternoon snack at my desk!!

Mowser, if I gave you my closely guarded secret family recipe for peanut butter then I would have to kill you!! Not really, I discovered this recipe one night when I really fancied a PB & jam sandwich! Packet of salted peanuts, rinsed in a collander and dried with kichen paper, tip into a food processor and blitz. It will already start to look like a thick sticky butter. Add some sugar or honey (to your taste) and then add peanut, sunflower or mild olive oil (don't use the extra virgin that you use on salad as it's too strong and will give a bitter aftertaste - I use the 'suave' one in Manky's for cake baking). Drizzle through the spout while the mixer is going until you have the consistency you like. If you like crunchy then add some more peanuts now and pulse.
For Nutella, replace the peanuts with Hazelnuts and add a teaspoon or 2 of dark cocoa powder... yummmm!!!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:53 am

Crazyred,
We can always rely on you for great ways of producing alternative food and products at home....Keep up the Good Work.. :thumbup:

We have just arrived in UK and noticed a huge 'Eastern Products' cash and carry opening tomorrow...so we are going to check it out....I'd better take plenty of money with me, I know that my wife will want to stock up with loads of unusual spices etc...
I'll let you know how we get on....

Regards,
Gordon....

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:17 am

crazyred

Thanks. I'll give it a go and get back to you.
Dave

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Mine are:

PG Tips
Heinz Beans
Fray bentos Steak & Kidney Pie
Extra Mature Cheddar
Robinsons Orange Juice (concentrated)
Ginger Biscuits
Malt Loaf Soreen
Crumpets Warburtons
Sharwoods Papadoms (the type you cook yourself)
Eccles Cakes (flies cemetery)

Would have added Heinz Sausage & Beans, Shredded Wheat but not at the prices they charge here Last but not least Port LBV with a nice piece of Stilton.

Why is it that you cant get a DECENT bottle of Port in Spanish Supermarkets? Portugal is only down the road. Do Spanish and Portugese not get on together or something? If not why?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:48 pm

telboy wrote:. Do Spanish and Portugese not get on together or something? If not why?
It is a bit like Scotland and England - those north (read west) of the border envy most things about those the other side, but instead of accepting they come from an inferior country, try their best to get to live on the other side whilst going on and on about how great their culture and country is! :lol:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

We who come from north of the border are indeed blessed. The only downside is our dreadful neighbours to the south. Still - we can't have everything (not even the riots). :wave:
Dave

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:02 pm

So true Dave and at least we have a culture and a country to be proud of :think:
Ann

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:03 pm

telboy wrote:
Why is it that you cant get a DECENT bottle of Port in Spanish Supermarkets?
Mainly because the Spanish don't drink it much and the market for Port has always been mainly to England.

In the early 18th century you could not buy French wines in England because of the various wars with France and Portugal signed a treaty with England where they could export Port with no duty. That made it a very popular drink in the UK and it has remained so ever since. In fact many of the traditional Port shippers are of English origin - Cockburn, Croft, Taylor and Warre to name but a few.

It's the same with Sherry - it's very difficult in Spain to find the sort of sweet sherries that have traditionally been popular in the UK. When did you ever see a bottle of Bristol Cream in Spain?

Sid

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Port is a fine way of getting a massive hangover.
Indeed in the 18th century the English had no other wine to drink as they were denied the fine French wine being landed at Edinburgh :P
Ann

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Just raided the freezer of most of my bramley apples, making mincemeat for pies. Almost out of currants now and mixed peel :thumbdown: had a hunt in Eroski and Mercadona today for currants, vanilla essence and peppermint essence, no luck! Sister is visiting next week so she is fetching vanilla and peppermint essence for me, can't ask for too much, she only has hand luggage!
Does the Iceland store sell the above mentioned items, along with suet, shredded wheat and mixed peel?
Or the British shop at Mollina? Does anyone know the Brit shop phone number please?
Thanks!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:31 pm

You can buy all those things on the coast at Alcampo and Supersol.

We are going to Marbella for a party in December and if I were to take out everything I had been asked to bring I would need to bring a cabin trunk...plus a couple of days shopping. Have they not heard of the internet :D

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Mercadona have quite a reasonable selection of sultanas, currents and other dried fruit including arguably the world's finest sultanas from Malaga provence!!!!!
Goggle mixed peel recipe. You will find it is very easy to make, the ingredients are oranges, lemons, sugar and water. Both oranges and lemons are just coming into season in Andalusia.
Or go to a Brit shop it's up to you :thumbdown:
Ann

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:57 pm

annfoto wrote:So true Dave and at least we have a culture and a country to be proud of :think:
....aah! Where would humanity be without the Deep Fried Mars Bar?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:41 pm

....aah! Where would humanity be without the Deep Fried Mars Bar?
You're making me feel a tad peckish, Chunky!
Dave

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:43 pm

"at least we have a culture and a country to be proud of" says annfoto.
Not proud enough of it to tolerate actually living there though..... :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:47 pm

I lived there for 50 years. I don't think it's unreasonable to retire to a sunnier climate after all that time.
Ann

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:58 pm

annfoto wrote:I lived there for 50 years. I don't think it's unreasonable to retire to a sunnier climate after all that time.
What's Peter's excuse? Fed up with black puddings 'n' tripe? We get enough of it here!
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

If you look under cooking aids at Iceland you can get all those things and more.

Probably cheaper than the spanish shops. I know the suet and sultanas are.

http://overseas.es/category/201