Free tapas

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Free tapas

Postby Ursula » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:53 am

Hi guys,

In some bars inland in white villages such as Alameda, Campillos, Ronda, Antequera a free tapas is given with every drink for about 1.50 euros. In Granada the tapas are huge, teaplate or small dinner plate size as opposed to a saucer. Do you get free tapas where you live?

I am interested to know if this happens anywhere else.

Thanks and regards
Ursula

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Free tapas

Postby costakid » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:33 pm

All bars in our village give a free tapa with an alcoholic drink. It was re introduced last year.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:58 pm

costakid wrote:All bars in our village give a free tapa with an alcoholic drink. It was re introduced last year.
And your village is called............ :?

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:08 pm

When we were camping, we always used to get free tapas with drinks in Orgiva up in the Sierras, and very good they were too, small but tasty.
There was one tiny Spanish bar in the back street of A el Grande who would serve free tapas with a drink but I don't know if he still does because I haven't been there for a while. Usually pork stew.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:37 pm

A large percentage of the bars in Nerja offer a choice of free tapas of varied quality. Some are a good size and some are freshly cooked to order. Often the drink is priced a little higher in the better quality bars but still not over the top for what you get.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Lovely and free tapas here.

We got a shock a few weeks ago though in one bar. No tapas - too early!! No wife to make them? cost saving? Who knows.. Needless to say we don't go there anymore.

Four rounds of drinks the other night. First round was delicious chicken and seta (mushroom) stew with bread. Second was an individual homemade small tortilla on a round of bread , third was a pork stew with dried chillis and bread. Fourth was crisps, slices of jamon and a side dish of cracked olives.

Drinks are reasonably priced too. 1 euro to 1.20 for a beer.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:02 pm

[quote="Laslomas"]A large percentage of the bars in Nerja offer a choice of free tapas of varied quality./quote]

That's good news as it must have changed over the last couple of years but I don't think it is yet the norm in Nerja.

Generally the farther East you go the better the tapas. In Granada province you will get good free tapas in every bar - even in the supermarket cafes.

I think the difference is that most of the tourists in Granada province are Spanish and expect free tapas but in Nerja they are mainly foreigners and they don't expect it and sometimes send them back as they think they might have to pay for them.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 pm

olive wrote:Lovely and free tapas here.

We got a shock a few weeks ago though in one bar. No tapas - too early!! No wife to make them? cost saving? Who knows.. Needless to say we don't go there anymore.

Four rounds of drinks the other night. First round was delicious chicken and seta (mushroom) stew with bread. Second was an individual homemade small tortilla on a round of bread , third was a pork stew with dried chillis and bread. Fourth was crisps, slices of jamon and a side dish of cracked olives.

Drinks are reasonably priced too. 1 euro to 1.20 for a beer.
So how can they make a profit, philanthropists or what, figures don't actually stack up do they :lol: No suprise that loads of bars have closed down!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 pm

katy wrote: So how can they make a profit, philanthropists or what, figures don't actually stack up do they :lol: No suprise that loads of bars have closed down!
I sometime wonder that but they do seem to survive.

Our favourite bar/restaurant in Almunecar where we sometime have breakfast will sell us a double cafe cortado and a pitufu ( a small roll) stuffed with 3 rashers of bacon and crushed tomato for a total price of €2 each.

They are heaving with customers all the time!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Take any bar as above who does 4 stews whatever, they have to buy their ingredients, gas for cooking, electricity for the premises, water bill etc. Small things like paper napkins. toothpicks etc. Cleaning stuffs for washing up and floors. Then there is social security and IVA...can't work. As for Nerja, always seemed like Marbella prices to us.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 pm

El Cid wrote:
Laslomas wrote:A large percentage of the bars in Nerja offer a choice of free tapas of varied quality./quote]
That's good news as it must have changed over the last couple of years but I don't think it is yet the norm in Nerja.
Generally the farther East you go the better the tapas. In Granada province you will get good free tapas in every bar - even in the supermarket cafes.
Sid
I tend to agree, never found Nerja great for free tapas, certainly some do, but loads don't. Yes, Granada is great for large free tapas, after a few drinks, you're full! Friends of ours often take us to a bar in Almuñecar, can´t remember it´s name, but they go there simply for the great free tapas.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:00 pm

I suspect the answer is simpler. These inland bars haven't changed much over the years. No new owner, no loans, loyal clientelle. No new bars springing up every five minutes and closing six minutes later. The dynamic hasn't been upset. people make a living and that is about it.

We went to a bar on the sea front in Malaga (near those tall chimneys) in March. We were shocked. Shocked at the apalling service and shocked at the prices (and they under charged us initially). We were brought a dish of those teeth breaking mixed "things", Couldn't say whether it was tapas or not. Roasted bird food by any other name.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Olive, I hate that stuff too. The only free tapas we got in Marbella was in restaurants when they knew you were going to order a 40€+ meal per head. Those 100 montaditos chain aren't bad but hardly a bargain at 1€ each. Our worst experience was a superb location on the beach, found it by chance and I was so impressed I said should we go back in the evening to eat there. We had a drink and about 12 olives. When the bill came we were charged 3€ for the olives! naturally, I kicked off a bit :lol:

Being a pessimist I can only think that the free stuff is the previous days left overs.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 am

The tapas in the two bars here in the mountain village I visit above Orgiva are fresh made daily, As are the ones in the bars I use in Orgiva and the camp site at the bottom. All serve generous portions and the drinks are not expensive by anybodies prices.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:46 am

All along the coast were we are (Adra area) give free tapa, even some to the kids or people who drink coke etc.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 am

The tapas trail in Nerja has certainly improved over the years. As I said there are some very good, and some rather standard, as you find everywhere. They are also free with non alcoholic drinks in most bars too. There are a few bars that charge, but they are now the minority. :thumbup:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 am

ValL wrote:The tapas in the two bars here in the mountain village I visit above Orgiva .
¿Lentegí?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Nope Cañar

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Laslomas wrote:The tapas trail in Nerja has certainly improved over the years. As I said there are some very good, and some rather standard, as you find everywhere. They are also free with non alcoholic drinks in most bars too. There are a few bars that charge, but they are now the minority. :thumbup:
We always used to find Nerja expensive but it has changed a lot in recent years and there are plenty of places offering good value meals and drinks these days. We haven't there for a couple of months, but one Italian restaurant was doing a home made pizza for 3.50€ and drinks for 80 cents .... we had a really nice lunch there for 2 of us for 8.60€. We haven't tried the pasta yet but from what we saw others eating, it looked very nice. When we came out there was a huge queue of people waiting to come in. I find the choice of restaurants and their prices in Nerja is better than Torrox Costa now. I have noticed a lot more offering free tapas with a drink - they have to be more competitive these days.