Artichokes -recipes

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Artichokes -recipes

Postby olive » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:49 pm

Nice simple one.

We have had a chequered history with Artichokes. Own attempt with fresh wasa failure but I once had some in a Spanish restaurant as a starter and they were divine . From memory maybe garlic , oil and chorizo bits.

We bought a bag of frozen ones from Mercadona but need suggestions on how to use them.

Anyone got a favourite way preferably from a bag out of the freezer please?

luckyjim
Resident

Re: Artichokes -recipes

Postby luckyjim » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm

A delicious recipe, although I have never used the frozen artichoke hearts. I usually prepare fresh or use a jar.

Cut about 10 artichoke hearts in half.(if you are using the frozen let them drain well and dry out).
In a pan put 4 tablespoons of extra Virgin olive oil , warm gently. Throw in three finely chopped cloves of garlic and when softened(make sure they don't burn)add 10 baby tomatoes cut in half. Cook gently until softened and starting to get gooey. Take of the heat and add to the artichokes, add salt and freshly ground black pepper. Gently stir it all together. Get loads of crusty bread and enjoy. This is also fabulous the next day when it is cold. Enjoy!

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:06 pm

luckyjim, this may be a silly question but I've never prepared artichokes - do you have to cook them before you stir them into the tomato mixture? or are do they go in raw?

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:20 pm

If they are frozen I wouldn't think that they are raw, defrost and drain well then just use as per the instructions. They are so versatile and jars of them are wonderful well drained mixed with some chopped shallots in a dressing of three parts olive oil to one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and some freshly chopped parsley. If feeling really adventurous I could give you a fab recipe using the whole artichoke stuffed with seafood. Have a look in Perez Nunez they have jars of beautiful baby ones.

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:37 pm

I've got a jar in the cupboard, in oil not pickled, so I will give that a try.

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:11 pm

Even better, use the olive oil they are in to fry off in if you are using the first recipe if the second(cold) could use or substitute for extra virgin, the oil they are in will have lots of flavour. Just one tip if you need to store them don't put them once mixed in the fridge because the oil tends to congeal.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Jerusalem artchokes are an excellent addition to mashed potatoes, cook and mash them as you would spuds, add a bit of grated cheddar, butter and cream, delish !

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:02 pm

I don't think I've ever seen them in Spain.