Junk food

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Junk food

Postby markwilding » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:22 am

My wife used to make burgers but over recent years we only tend to have one when we are travelling.

In London I like having one in a restaurant called Maxwell's in Covent Garden. Last time I had a super double decker but it's the whole atmosphere of the place playing sixties soul music which I like. Another great place is The Big Easy in the Kings Rd. Good Burger and great live music.

Nothing wrong with junk food as long as it's eaten on occasion.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:39 am

My last 'burger' was about twenty years ago when my wife and myself were cajoled by our fifteen year old niece who was staying with us into some garish burger joint near what was then Pryca Los Patios in Málaga.

When I took the first bite I thought I had started to eat the cardboard container by mistake. I left them to it and went to a nearby salad bar for a decent snack.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:37 am

markwilding wrote:My wife used to make burgers but over recent years we only tend to have one when we are travelling.

In London I like having one in a restaurant called Maxwell's in Covent Garden. Last time I had a super double decker but it's the whole atmosphere of the place playing sixties soul music which I like. Another great place is The Big Easy in the Kings Rd. Good Burger and great live music.

The Big Easy in covent garden is better. Bigger building so not as cramped. Excellent food in both though. You always see a few faces in the Kings Road branch.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:04 am

I wouldn't call a home made burger junk food. I use pure beef mince with herbs and a little paprika, we BBQ it and put it in a seeded bun with lettuce, tomato and gherkin. I use mince to make other dishes like bolognese sauce, chilli, moussaka, so why is it any different when you make a burger out of it? I think Burger King make their burgers with only beef and they are flame grilled. I've had some very tasty veggie ones out as well. We would never have the chips or drinks that Burger King sell, and I think that's where the calories, fat and salt add up.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:24 pm

Agree Wicksy, it is the bun, fries etc that make it a non healthy meal. A good burger depends on what is in it but depends on the quality of mince too. Seen some dodgy stuff on sale. But if buying good quality meat why not just have a steak sandwich :lol: I am with Beachcomber can't remember when I last had one, although OH has one occasionally. But sometimes if Grandson is staying. He was coming unexpected late one evening so popped into Tesco express and bought some Birds eye ones. They looked vile when I opened them, gave them to the Fox and cooked him some pasta :mrgreen:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:59 pm

markwilding wrote:My wife used to make burgers but over recent years we only tend to have one when we are travelling.

Joe Allens used to be the place for a burger in Covent Garden. Now the burgers aren't on the menu but available "on request". Last year they had a special event month where various well known chefs created burgers. Has lots of musical events and a regular pianist. Very theatrical crowd. Joanna Lumley recommends it :roll:

Away from burgers, we often eat at the Crusting Pipe right in the centre of Covent Garden in the old cellars. They have excellent opera and classical music by students, but you have to sit outside to appreciate it. (Or you can just stand around and listen without spending). Been going for decades, has changed a lot from having waiters with tea towel over arms, selling prawns by the pint etc. now more trendy, no burgers though.

Have you seen the open air one selling paella from a very huge pan? Always a queue whatever time of day.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:34 pm

costakid wrote: The Big Easy in covent garden is better. Bigger building so not as cramped. Excellent food in both though. You always see a few faces in the Kings Road branch.
Thanks,
I had heard there was a newer branch in Covent Garden. I will definitely go next time I’m there.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:48 pm

I can't remember the district, it was many years ago but the best burger I ever had was at a place called the "Texas Lone Star" somewhere in london, Kensington I think, they had huge wooden statues of an Indian and a cowboy outside, very good food and service !

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Manchesteral wrote:It's a very rare occasion, maybe once a month, I don't live like a monk :-)
Thought you were on about burgers ?

anyroads