Prawns shelf life

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
CTID Hants
Andalucia.com Amigo

Prawns shelf life

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi all

I bought a bag of langostinos cooked from the Mercadona on Saturday, today is Tuesday will they still be ok to eat?

Bloominforgot we had them on the fridge!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Prawns shelf life

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:37 pm

Were they frozen when you bought them? If so and they have been kept in the fridge they should be OK. if they were from the counter they were probably originally frozen but defrosted for sale. If so you need to be more careful, but if they went straight into the fridge they should be OK.

People are unnecessarily concerned about food poisoning from shellfish. You can get very ill but usually because they came from a contaminated source. Seafood that has gone off because of poor storage will probably not do you any harm but it may taste a bit odd and then should be avoided.

Rotten food is often safe to eat (but I doubt you would want to do that) but fresh food, if contaminated, can be toxic. The best test for most food is a basic smell test. If you don’t like the smell don’t eat it.

Incidentally, I saw some big prawns the other day in Almuñécar market and they were jumping around! A pleasant change as 99% of the prawns you buy are imported frozen. The last time I saw prawns like that was in Turkey and they were jumping out of the frying pan!

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Prawns shelf life

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:56 pm

El Cid wrote: Incidentally, I saw some big prawns the other day in Almuñécar market and they were jumping around! A pleasant change as 99% of the prawns you buy are imported frozen. The last time I saw prawns like that was in Turkey and they were jumping out of the frying pan!

Sid
I remember seeing a very large langoustine making it's way across the shop floor in Supersol many years ago :lol:

As Cid says, sniff 'em and you'll soon smell if they are off. If they smell fresh then they should be OK.