Malt Loaf

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Malt Loaf

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:53 am

Malt loaf...one of my favourites, and if not checked I can easily devour a whole Soreen type loaf smothered with thick creamy butter..Yum Yum.

I know..I know....Not a very healthy option...But I can't help myself. :oops:

Anyway we keep trying to make a malt loaf in our bread machine, but although we've tried several different recipes they never taste as good as Soreen or even Tesco cheap example..

So any tips or guidance to help an old malt loaf addict ????

Regards,
Gordon...The Failed Malt Loaf Producer..... :(

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Malt Loaf

Postby Wicksey » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:01 am

I've not tried making it myself Gordon as I've not seen malt extract until the other week when Russells on Torrox Costa had some. After your experiences I'm not sure I'll try, although I do love the gungyness of it myself. In fact I think Russells sell the Soreen one but we're on the crumpets at the moment. I eat the malt loaf without the butter, so maybe slightly healthier!

My friend gave me a very old recipe for what she called her fruity 'maltloaf' using bran sticks. It hasn't got that sticky gungyness but without any fat or eggs in it (and if I reduce the sugar levels) it makes a fairly healthy fruit loaf.
Last edited by Wicksey on Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:51 pm

BENIDORM wrote:
So any tips or guidance to help an old malt loaf addict ????

Regards,
Gordon...The Failed Malt Loaf Producer..... :(
Best tip is stick to Soreens. I love it, my kids love it and the grand kids love it, I cant remember if my nan did though.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:02 am

I loved Bat out of Hell & Two out of Three aint bad !!!.........................

Sorry, I misread the post !!
Hardworking resident !!

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:24 pm

My mother used to make them & she soaked the raisins overnight in cold tea.I was never a fan though.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Muchas Gracias Todo....
Wicksey, Interesting idea with the bran sticks, sometimes the old fashioned recipes are the best, I'll keep trying !! :wave:

Costakid,
You could be right about just buying the ready made Soreen etc., trouble is I live inland so would have to stock up on my monthly visits to the coast..Any suggestions as to shops who stock any make of malt loaf ? :think:

Fincalspinos,
May I recommend that you Go to Specsavers.....Quickly :D

Quebin,
Thanks for that tip I'll try that with the raisins, we use them in other recipes... :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:49 am

I use the Mercadona bran flakes for malt loaf. 1 cup of bran, 1cup sugar, 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of mixed dried fruit, Put all in a bowl and leave overnight.Heat oven to gas 5, add 1 cup of SR flour to mix. Put in a lined greased loaf tin. I usually make 3/4 per session and freeze. Lovely with cold butter. I prefer it to Soreen which has become too sticky nowadays and difficult to cut.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:08 am

Anis that's very similar to my recipe except I use the bran sticks rather than flakes. Very easy, although the uncooked mix doesn't look very promising, but it makes a tasty fruit loaf. It uses 4oz of bran, 3oz sugar, 1/2 pt milk and 4oz SR Flour. It has 10oz of dried mixed fruit, and I use a bit of everything I have in the store cupboard, including cranberries, apricots and dates. I chop up some preserved ginger too, it adds a bit of a kick if you like ginger.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:50 am

Sorry, I meant to say the sticks of bran. I will try your additions on the next batch, I really like the idea of ginger and dates.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:13 pm

I Love Malt loaf and when available, which is very rarely, I buy the Soreen brand from Carrefour. I usually cut the slices very thin and add a little butter and have a couple of slices for breakfast with a cup of tea.
mmmm

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 am

Well thanks everyone, and this is what I like about the Forum, good advice passed on by real people.!

We will try the different variations of recipes and if anyone has any other recipes or tips for different cakes and breads we would be pleased to see them . :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon & Co.