My Bread Machine Has Been Working Overtime.!

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

My Bread Machine Has Been Working Overtime.!

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:20 pm

We've used bread machines for a long time to produce our own tasty loaves with all sorts of exotic ingredients, previously it was used about 3 times a week but because of the splendid selection now available in the supermarkets it had reduced down to once every ten days.
But during the lockdown we've used the machine nearly every day and to be honest we now realise that not only is our home produced bread tastier and free from additives, it's actually tastier..yum yum
Because we've had more time on our hands we've experimented with different ingredients..very tasty...and our humble home has had the cosy country kitchen smell of home baked bread wafting through the house and constantly tantilising our taste buds..

The nasty virus has actually made us appreciate our dwelling more, it's now our lovely cosy house instead of just 'our house'
Has anyone else spent more time in the kichen than usual ???
Regards,
Gordon the Gourmet.. :wave:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: My Bread Machine Has Been Working Overtime.!

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:49 pm

I started a thread in the amigos lounge about what people are cooking in lockdown but it didn't get a lot of posts. I think it got lost down at the bottom of the page!

I had been baking more but have cut down now as my waistline seemed to be increasing in girth. I made hot cross bun bread for Easter in the machine, but otherwise have made a few cakes, the most recent being an apricot and almond one as the fresh apricots are in the shops. I have managed to perfect risotto and made a few of those, especially when the young asparagus was in season. I've bought more smoked salmon than usual and we've had a steak on the BBQ at the weekends together with a nice bottle of wine. We've treated ourselves as there's not been much else to do!

I've been thankful of living in the Campo in nice surroundings during this time. I should have been in Porto this week but I've kind of used to not going out, or away on trips, so am quite content at the moment.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 am

Wicksey,
Sorry, I didn't see your post in the Amigos Lounge, I don't go down to the basement very often.. :D
But great to see that you and others have been making good use of their bread machines.

Just before the lockdown I bought 4 of the big bags of flour in Mercadona, very reasonably priced and good quality.
Having my World War Three reserves well stocked down in my bunker came in very handy, nobody making jokes now about me being prepared for any eventually.. :thumbup:

We also started making our own yogurt again and will continue, it is cheaper .

Anyway may I wish you a very pleasant day..... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:49 pm

I am baking a lot more. I have a Antony Worral Thompson bread-making machine and it has made good bread for years but, as Gordon wrote, it fell into disuse with the local Mercadona selling 100% whole wheat bread. Anyway, I started using the thing again but could not buy yeast anywhere. I make some yeast-free breads, including date and walnut. Wonderful. It's a perfect breakfast bread and is better than anything we can buy here.

With lockdown meals became an important focus of the day. As the Spring has been so wet my OH's veggie garden is flourishing. Meals are much more creative and every one has at least four vegetables pulled or picked or cut from the garden just minutes before they are cooked. De-licious!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:47 pm

Mercadona sell dried yeast.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:11 am

Mercadona yeast is excellent. It is called 'Levadura de panadería fermento de padaria'. I used to buy Allinson yeast from Iceland but the Mercadona yeast gives far better results.

I haven't bought a loaf of bread since I got the bread machine about ten years ago.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:07 am

Thanks but I do know the Mercadona and Carrefour sell dried yeast as I have bought it from them in the past. They haven't had any since the lockdown started — which is weird because Spanish women do not seem to make their own bread — must be the English panic-buying. Ha! Ha!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:48 am

I have made soda bread which doesn't need yeast although suppose it wouldn't work in a bread maker. Did a nice one with seeds, stays fresh too.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:03 pm

I saw packs of fresh yeast in the fridge where the butter is in our Mercadona but I always use their dried as it's so easy in the breadmaker. I found it difficult to get the strong flour and only got my first bag from Lidl a couple of weeks back.