TREADING CAREFULLY MIXERS

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Unicorn
Resident

TREADING CAREFULLY MIXERS

Postby Unicorn » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:25 am

I have found a great mixer from Lidl which is Tonica Pink, Baja en calorias. It is great. Wait for the disdainers & disclaimers
Goes well with all the usual suspects..............

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: TREADING CAREFULLY MIXERS

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:32 am

I usually buy Schweppes pink tonic, that's also low in calories, there are all kinds of tonic flavours on the market these days, i like the lime flavoured ones..Will have to try the one you mention from Lidl.

On another note Unicorn, i glanced at the subject of your post and at first my mind thought it was something to do with cement mixers, being in a builders household it was my first thought... :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:10 am

I'll give it a try as I like a tonic on it's own sometimes. Does the pink have a flavour Unicorn? I usually have the normal tonic as we like Bombay gin which has quite a good flavour on its own. And why the disdainers ..... nothing wrong with Lidl stuff?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:56 am

Lidls have great products, often winning 'best of' in various categories. Sure i recently recall they got the gold gong for olive oil.

I'm not really a gin drinker, rum being my tipple. However I'm pretty much addicted to tjier strawberry gin at the moment and way less calories than rum. Their perlenbacher beer takes some beating too....
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:08 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:56 am Lidls have great products, often winning 'best of' in various categories. Sure i recently recall they got the gold gong for olive oil.
Yes, they have some great products, but their olive oil was rated as the worst in an OCU test.

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2018/ ... 44323.html

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:50 pm

All their frozen chicken nuggets and similar products were taken off the shelves in the UK about a month ago due to contaminated Polish chicken. Those gongs for better than any other supermarket whatever the cost are paid for. One a month in UK media.

Some of their wine is ok.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:19 pm

I've just munched my way through the head of a dark chocolate Easter bunny from Lidl .... I enjoyed it! The Spanish stores are much smaller than the ones we've been in in the UK so the choice is less, but I can still do a week's shopping in there. Last month they had boxes of 6 English real ales so we bought up the last 4 boxes. They do some different things that you don't get in Mercadona. We like their Angus steak too, it's the tastiest we've found here. I find their products are generally good quality these days, and so much better than the first time we ever went into the Velez shop 20 years back.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:47 pm

El Cid wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:08 pm
casita-bonita wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:56 am Lidls have great products, often winning 'best of' in various categories. Sure i recently recall they got the gold gong for olive oil.
Yes, they have some great products, but their olive oil was rated as the worst in an OCU test.

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2018/ ... 44323.html

Sid
But then again. https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news ... mpetition/

Just picked up a couple more bottles of strawberry gin for the backup booze cupboard. Have to keep a few bottles at home incase it dissappears from the shelves the way many of their items do.
Regards

Bob

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:20 pm

Wicksey, disdainers who leap in every time I post, whatever I say... not Lidl!!!

The can is very identifiable as it is very pink. I think it was 22 cents per 33cl, making it a Euro a litre. I would say it has a very tonic-ey taste but not anything else I can detect. Quite a strong taste.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:26 pm

I'll give it a go as I don't drink alcohol every night and get bored with soft drinks and like a tonic, even without the gin!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:47 pm

Lidl non alcoholic beer, Perlenbacher 0.0%, in the UK anyway, not sure if they do that in Spain, is as good as any out there, and probably cheaper.

Their Chablis for the price, is the best value in the UK.

anyroads

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:44 pm

Do they do a non alcoholic lager? I've tried all kinds, even the Spanish branded ones and most are tasteless, the one i usually buy is becks blue.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 pm

The quality and choice of wine in Lidl UK is way ahead of what you get in Spain. The reason is simple, Lidl Spain are are very parochial and 90% of their wines are Spanish. If Lidl UK had to rely on UK wines, no one would buy them as they are so expensive.

Sid

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:17 pm

There is one wine they do both in the UK and Spain.

Cepa Lebrel, a rioja. I have not bough it in Spain for about three years, as the Lidl I used there closed down (replaced by a CODI, excellent meat counter)

I do remember there was a "two digit difference" in the price. Their "Joyen" was £3.99 in the UK, eur 1.99 in Spain. The "Reserva" £5.99 / eur 3.99. I believe there was a "Crianza" in between, probably £4.99 / eur 2.99.

I believe this wine is manufactured for Lidl. I top up with a few bottles when I see it as "wine of the week" in the UK( but usually the Joven ).
My local Lidl stocks the Joven and the Reserva. I do not believe I have seen the Crianza.

This is very drinkable and a steal at Spanish prices. The price has gone up a bit in the UK, and no doubt Spain. There is also I believe a white and a Rose, but the red is excellent.

I recommend it to the house...

anyroads

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:03 pm

Unicorn wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:20 pm Wicksey, disdainers who leap in every time I post, whatever I say... not Lidl!!!

The can is very identifiable as it is very pink. I think it was 22 cents per 33cl, making it a Euro a litre. I would say it has a very tonic-ey taste but not anything else I can detect. Quite a strong taste.
Umm pedantic mode on ... 33cl is 330ml.. at 22c.. x3 is 990ml at 66c.. much less than 1 euro / a litre ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:04 pm

I like their o.o tonic at 29c / can.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.