Menu Del Dia at Restaurants in Spain

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
pensure1988
Resident

Menu Del Dia at Restaurants in Spain

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:26 pm

I would like to know if it is a Mandatory Requirement in Spain for all Restaurants to offer a Menu Del Dia at Lunch Times or is it optional.

Thank You

David

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Menu Del Dia at Restaurants in Spain

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:26 pm

I'm sure it's by choice as there are many restaurants here that don't offer one. It would be interesting if it is law!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:45 pm

I think it was a Franco era decree for workers away from home so that they could get a cheap comida

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:59 pm

It certainly used to be a requirement but these days there is no shortage of restaurants offering a cheap MDD.

Sid

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:40 pm

Surely, they have more or less gone out of fashion ? Sign of the times...

anyroads

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 pm

Totally disagree. Most restaurants in Spain, apart from the high end places, offer a menu del día, certainly in the Spanish towns. It maybe different in the Little Britain places in the tourist areas, but who would want to eat there anyway!

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:52 am

I'd say there's fewer places in the touristy areas like Nerja, where some of the restaurants are expensive and as a friend calls it ... 'fine dining', which isn't our thing at all. On Torrox Costa we can still get a 4 course lunch with a drink for just under a tenner.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:00 am

Guess I just hang out in high end places then !

Not sure I have ever been in Little Britain places, nearest I have got is probably Sanlucar.....

anyroads

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:20 pm

The 'menu del dia' is important for workers and very few restaurants don't offer one here, even the higher end ones. There are often more than one version on offer, maybe one for around 10 Euros and another for 20-25 Euros.

Apart from that, many places offer them at the weekend which is also more expensive than during the week.

I suppose the workers get to know which offer the best value and quality because over the years I have experienced anything from poor, obviously, not so freshly cooked and heated up in a microwave, to really good
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:00 pm

I agree the quality can be a bit mixed. The one we go to on Torrox Costa is all home made including the flan which comes in a slice out of a big pan, not out of a packet or bought in. The main course is simple though, just a plate of fish, but their home made salmorejo is always something I have as a starter and fills you up.

It's what I like about the cities here too. Had great menus in central Madrid, where the local workers went, from bank manager to local painters and decorators by the look of it. Reasonably priced and home made. Not a place that tourists would go, which is what I like.

Somewhere I think El Cid once recommended in La Herradura, Nuevo Arenas, did a nicer more up market menu, although we've not been there for some time.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:03 pm

Wicksey wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:00 pm Somewhere I think El Cid once recommended in La Herradura, Nuevo Arenas, did a nicer more up market menu, although we've not been there for some time.
Correct. Had lunch there today. €13.95

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:01 pm

:lol: That was a coincidence. Is it up to the usual standard? We must go there again before too long.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Yes it’s still very good for the price. Same menu but still plenty of choice for a menu del día. QR link at https://qrco.de/transferlandia_nuevoarenas

Closed Mondays and Sunday evenings.

Sid