Serving Red wine

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
jonbar.1
Resident

Serving Red wine

Postby jonbar.1 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 pm

Does anyone else have a problem getting restaurants to serve "Vino Tinto" which is not freezing cold?
I'm not a fussy diner but I hate the taste of lovely Spanish red wine murdered by keeping it in fridges.
I always ask for "Temperatura Ambiente". Occasionally they understand.More often than not they nod and then still produce a freezing cold bottle.Since the bottle is often opened when they bring it, it is difficult to refuse it as it will,to them,seem like we are being awkward or over-fussy. :silent:
Obviously,as this is a hot country,I'm not too bothered if it's served a little cooler than normal.Otherwise we sit holding our glasses for a while to warm it up.
At the end of the day it's difficult to be too critical when we have easy access to some beautiful Spanish wines at ridiculously low prices :D

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Serving Red wine

Postby ashtondav » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:24 pm

In my experience red wine is served at room temperature except in summer months when it would be like mulled wine. If they bring a glass or bottle of tinto june to August cold it aint long before its warm!!!!!!!

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:09 am

That is true Ashtondav. Although personally I like to enjoy my drink right away not wait for it to thaw :wink: .

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:32 am

I actually prefer my red a little cooler, not freezing but colder than room temp. For years I always had it at room temp then went into an Argentinian meat restaurant who insisted on us trying a cool red. I was converted from then.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:39 am

I agree Costakid.
As I mentioned in my initial posting: I am happy to drink it "cool" in a hot climate. :thumbup:
It's "straight-from-the-fridge" which I don't care for. :(

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:54 am

It's really simple.....they cool it to coverup the fact that it's goneoff or rubbish to begin with.

Add to the fact that Spaniards are very pretentious and jump on trends to show they're "cool".

I've drank loads of wine in Spain over the last 20 years. At least 1 in 5 bottles could be characterised as gone off.
2 out of 5 rubbish taste. The remaining 2 out of 5 good to drink. Price of bottles is irrelevant. The cheap, high volume sellers are more reliable than the expensive ones sitting on the shelf for years.

These days we prefer to buy a reliable 5 litre bottle, to keep us going, lol.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:00 am

A bottle of Lidl's Merlot we've just had suggested a serving temperature of 12-15 degrees which is quite cool. In the summer we use a vinoteca to store our wine as our house reaches up to 30 degrees which would spoil it otherwise, and we set that to 14 and that feels quite cool. We usually always put the bottle in the kitchen to warm up before drinking. At the moment the drink is stored in the spare room wardrobe which has been down to 13 degrees so always needs warming a bit before drinking. A joven red wine is not too bad fridge cold though.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:42 am

jhonie99 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:54 am I've drank loads of wine in Spain over the last 20 years. At least 1 in 5 bottles could be characterised as gone off.
2 out of 5 rubbish taste. The remaining 2 out of 5 good to drink. Price of bottles is irrelevant. The cheap, high volume sellers are more reliable than the expensive ones sitting on the shelf for years.
I bought a bottle of Faustino 5 in the airport the other day, 9 euros but hand luggage only so had to buy airside. We cracked it open that night and it was lovely

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:54 am

jhonie99 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:54 amI've drank loads of wine in Spain over the last 20 years. At least 1 in 5 bottles could be characterised as gone off.
2 out of 5 rubbish taste. The remaining 2 out of 5 good to drink. Price of bottles is irrelevant. The cheap, high volume sellers are more reliable than the expensive ones sitting on the shelf for years
Blimey Wicksey you've been unlucky.
9 years we've only been served 1 "corked" bottle.( we've been served some which were not very good,but not "Off/ Corked"
Incidentally we buy a totally excellent "Ribiera"( Roble) at Mercadona for a ridiculous €3.85!
Last edited by jonbar.1 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:02 am

Just to digress....re my last reply: When I try to include a quote in my reply, it appears as part of my copy not framed above with the quotation marks ( see my last reply)..... can anyone tell me why I am currently having this problem?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:13 pm

Do you click the inverted commas on the top right of the post ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:32 pm

Cheers Chrissiehope.
Yes: I clicked the inverted commas, then I deleted the irrelevant part of the quote; then, under the bit where it says " [ quote ]" I typed my piece.
I have always done it this way and never had a problem until recently.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:47 pm

You deleted the first set of quotes. I have corrected it.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:16 pm

Nice one Sid.Thankyou.
I'm learning :thumbup:
Sorry to have gone-off on the old tangent guys. :think:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:24 pm

jonbar.1 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:54 am 9 years we've only been served 1 "corked" bottle.( we've been served some which were not very good,but not "Off/ Corked"
Incidentally we buy a totally excellent "Ribiera"( Roble) at Mercadona for a ridiculous €3.85!
The Merlot we like is 1.99€ from Lidl and is very drinkable. Our usual Rioja is Faustino VII for around 3.65€.

Some menu del dia places always used to give us a very chilled bottle of red as part of the meal, together with a bottle of Casera, so most people just made it into a tinto de verano. I wouldn't like a 'nice' wine being served so cold though.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:40 pm

That Merlot is exceptional value for money and a very nice wine. A few weeks ago they had it on offer for 99c. We are now well stocked!

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:11 am

El Cid wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:40 pm That Merlot is exceptional value for money and a very nice wine. A few weeks ago they had it on offer for 99c. We are now well stocked!

Sid
The Sauvignon Blanc in that range is also very good. Excellent value!

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:58 pm

El Cid wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:40 pm That Merlot is exceptional value for money and a very nice wine. A few weeks ago they had it on offer for 99c. We are now well stocked!

Sid
Strewth! When you think that,in UK you would pay that for packet of "Walkers Salt & Vinegar" :crazy:
Last edited by jonbar.1 on Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:45 pm

When in Rome etc etc... what's the point as its an adventure... that's unless we do not want to adapt to our new life... there is a possibility they are right as the Spanish have being around the world like us...
In saying that if the bot €20 say what you need... if €5 bot enjoy the alcohol...