Nag, Nag, Nag, Nag..!!

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Nag, Nag, Nag, Nag..!!

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:27 pm

Since I admitted that I'm a serial Dairy Produce Consumer I've been 'told off' by numerous people, including a nurse..:shock:

So I've decided to put things back in order and as of today I've changed my bad habits and have noted how many people said that I was Bad Boy... :oops:

I've just had a green salad for lunch beautifully prepared by my Good Lady, but I had a forgetful moment and poured cream on my fresh fruit salad...Blimey I'm in the dog house again...

Saludos,
Gordon.....sat in my kennel.. :D

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Nag, Nag, Nag, Nag..!!

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:34 pm

:clap:
My 95 year olf FiL doesn't seem to have a cholesterol problem but slavers everything in thick cream and butter. He'll have butter on his bread before putting fatty paté on and puts cream on cakes, desserts and in his coffee (the sort that you can only get in England which is so thick you can stand a spoon up in it. Never seen anything like that here). My OH can't even stand semi skinned milk now as he's got so used to skimmed, and I only occasionally use cream in anything. I tend towards low fat yoghurt but do like cheese, although I have cut back on that as well. Boring isn't it :(

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:45 pm

I sometimes cook with butter and soak new potatoes in it. Have a lovely way with mashed potatoes as seen on TV butter and whip in lots of cream. Cream and butter in pasta too. Never put on weight. i do take a statin at night haha.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:29 pm

katy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:45 pm I sometimes cook with butter and soak new potatoes in it. Have a lovely way with mashed potatoes as seen on TV butter and whip in lots of cream. Cream and butter in pasta too. Never put on weight. i do take a statin at night haha.
James Martin keeps lurpak in business. He uses loads of butter in everything.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:35 pm

A red Indian introduced me to his wife.... This is four horses

I said WOW thats a beautiful name, what does it mean?

He said NAG NAG NAG NAG

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:44 am

As we get older we have to take care of what we eat. My mother's side of the family all suffered from high cholesterol. Fortunately, I'm not mad on cream but the problem I have is I love eating sweet things and some of the more fatty British style foods. I don't know if it is correct or not but I try to eat healthily during the week with very small amounts of chocolate and definitely no cakes.

At the weekend, however, I allow myself to go a bit mad. Today was my sister-in-law's birthday so there was a lovely chocolate cake. As usual on these occasions, I couldn't resist a second slice after a rather big first slice. Mmmmmmm

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:29 am

I find the biggest problem with being "Dairy Free" is having to milk the Almonds every morning.
Hardworking resident !!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:03 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:34 pm :clap:
My 95 year old FiL doesn't seem to have a cholesterol problem but slavers everything in thick cream and butter. He'll have butter on his bread before putting fatty paté on and puts cream on cakes, desserts and in his coffee (the sort that you can only get in England which is so thick you can stand a spoon up in it. Never seen anything like that here). My OH can't even stand semi skinned milk now as he's got so used to skimmed, and I only occasionally use cream in anything. I tend towards low fat yoghurt but do like cheese, although I have cut back on that as well. Boring isn't it :(
My Dad, now 93 years old and in fairly good health, excellent blood pressure and cholesterol levels, is a chocoholic and loves his burgers and chips but mu mum, who passed away last year at 91 years old, always ate healthily (had a thing about drinking cabbage water), neither of them smoked or drank alcohol although my Dad would have the occasional Guinness.

My poor mum had a serious stroke 13 years ago and suffered from dementia in the latter years, probably as a result of the stroke. It turned out she had high cholesterol but no-one has sussed it as she looked great weighing about 7.1/2 stones and had no previous health problems, no hospital or doctor's visits before that.
So, I think a lot of this is genetic and thankfully I take after my Dad's side of the family. I also wonder if the early lifestyle of people born in that era had an impact on later life e.g. in my dad's case, less meat (couldn't afford it) and more home grown veg, very active lifestyle, cycling 10 miles to work every day etc etc.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:39 pm

I have inherited high cholesterol unfortunately. I have been tried on several different types of statins and didn't like any of them, so I continue with the omega 3 capsules and a generally healthy diet. I have brought down the overall level a lot and eat avocados every day I can in the winter as long as the tree produces them. My good cholesterol is very high but statins brought that down, so I'm just soldering on for now. I do have a piece of dark 72% chocolate a day which is supposed to be good for you, and drink in moderation. I think sugar can be habit forming as over Christmas I do tend to go a bit OTT with the panettone and stollen, and special chocolates, and I have to wean myself off them after a few weeks of that! My glucose levels seem to rise with every lot of blood tests which I find a worry as that's something else that runs in the family (these genes ....doh!).

It is boring if you cannot have a bit of chocolate and stodge in your life at times. I'm not overweight but I do like my food, and nowadays have to think about what I eat more from a health point of view.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:37 pm

Some really interesting comments , entertaining and informative.
And you all put me to shame :oops:

Now really I should also admit that I've only visited a Doctor 3 times in the last 40 years and apart from when I renewed my driving licence haven't had my blood pressure tested, I've also never had cholesterol tests or any other form of test.
And I've never had an overnight stay in a hospital, and I was born at my parents house, so virtually no contact with hospitals apart from visiting relatives and friends, which I have to admit that I don't enjoy.
I've never smoked and although I did drink just about everything when I was in the Navy , I've only drunk wine and an occasional beer since, not even when I worked as a brewery rep.and I never drink spirits apart from maybe a small whisky at Christmas.
I've never smoked, never taken any drugs and only use paracetamol or asprin if I feel I need to,and since I was a small child I have taken a cod liver oil capsule daily, originally the liquid ,yuk, also I now take a turmeric capsule.
I've tried other supplements but to be honest didn't feel that they were doing any good.
Also it must be 60 years since I went near a gym apart from the other week I walked past our local gym and the doors were open and it sent shivers down my spine.. :shock:
I do eat loads of fruit and vegetables and go out most days for a walk, but after my walk I usually end up in the local bar having a glass of wine and tapas.
So after reading all of your input I think that I should probably at least get my cholesterol tested, can I ask the best way to do that without attending my Doctor who I've never met and can't even remember his name..
Blimey I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm a lost cause....
Saludos,
Gordon.....

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:30 pm

Gordon you're probably healthier than the rest of us :thumbup: . I have to have blood tests every 6 months for my over-active thyroid (it's the only part of me that is over-active :lol: ) so I keep a spreadsheet of my results :roll: . I was warned when I was in my 30s that both my brothers and dad had high cholesterol so I've been aware of it for some years now. So much stuff is written about statins, I feel I should try them but then always end up with more problems than before I started them. Not sure if inherited high cholesterol is as bad as when it's caused by a very fatty diet .... who knows :? My FiL hadn't had his tested until he was in his 80s and it turned out to be OK, although he does have high blood pressure which so far I haven't.

I think life is too short to worry about every single item you eat, and if you are generally healthy then it's a case of a balanced diet and everything in moderation I believe. I'm not going raw vegan any time soon, I can tell you that much, which I don't think is a healthy diet anyway.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:59 pm

Gordon, go to your doctor and ask for a blood and urine test. It is very comprehensive. If as you suspect, you are healthy then everything will be in limits and the doctor will be delighted to see a healthy customer for a change. On the other hand you may have some condition starting which can be headed off.

On my last one, Potassium was a bit high - reduce eating frutos secos. Cholestrol was also a tad high despite me not eating very much of the usual culprits. He said have a Danecol each day. About 50 cents a pop and quite pleasant.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:09 am

olive wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:59 pm Gordon, go to your doctor and ask for a blood and urine test. It is very comprehensive. If as you suspect, you are healthy then everything will be in limits and the doctor will be delighted to see a healthy customer for a change. On the other hand you may have some condition starting which can be headed off.

On my last one, Potassium was a bit high - reduce eating frutos secos. Cholestrol was also a tad high despite me not eating very much of the usual culprits. He said have a Danecol each day. About 50 cents a pop and quite pleasant.
Mercadonna's own brand works well, and is cheaper than Danecol. I have one each morning, sometime pour it on my meusili, others just drink it. Keeps my cholesterol under control.

Lidl sell so Red rice based cholesterol lowering pills. They also work well.
Regards

Bob