Shelf shortages

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Shelf shortages

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:23 pm

I don't really understand it.

If 6 months ago the cost of running your truck all day was say, €150 and you are self employed, you get all the iva back on the fuel, so they charge say €300 for the days work.

If now the fuel costs €200, and they still get the iva back, and they charge €300 for the days work, it means they make less profit.

If their base costs have gone up (the price of diesel) then charge enough to cover that so that the profit is the same? Charge €330 instead of the €300.

If the price of fuel has gone up due to the war in Ukraine, driving about beeping and causing disruption is not going to make any difference, the companies will just find other drivers who are willing to move the goods?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:48 pm

spanish_lad wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:23 pm I don't really understand it.

If 6 months ago the cost of running your truck all day was say, €150 and you are self employed, you get all the iva back on the fuel, so they charge say €300 for the days work.

If now the fuel costs €200, and they still get the iva back, and they charge €300 for the days work, it means they make less profit.

If their base costs have gone up (the price of diesel) then charge enough to cover that so that the profit is the same? Charge €330 instead of the €300.
I imagine many of these drivers have contracts negotiated a while back, and if the contract says 300 per day, that is what they'll get paid, regardless of whether their cost has now increased fro 150 to 200 or 250. That is, unless the contract includes clauses related to the cost of fuel, which, since they are honking and annoying the rest of us so much, I guess their contract does not.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:51 pm

local bus company near us in the UK that does the school runs work on 15% profit margin as cut throat business. Fuel has gone up over 50%, how long will he survive? At this rate and looking at the age of his fleet i think skint in next few weeks.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:49 pm

Went to get a new gas tank today but the BP station in Torrox had sold out of all butano. No idea when the next delivery may be. We didn't drive around looking as it was a Cepsa tank and we have mainly Repsol around us. We do have a spare Repsol tank so we may end up taking both out next time we go out in the hope of finding some.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:36 pm

Seems to be a worldwide problem. Doubt if its just Ukraine crisis. There was a report on El Pais in English with same issues happening in the USA. Next thing the travel industry will be adding surcharges especially cruises.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:02 pm

Our shortages problems here are also due to the hauliers strike. Our local fruit shop had bananas though so we'll survive for now!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:37 pm

Wicksey wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:49 pm Went to get a new gas tank today but the BP station in Torrox had sold out of all butano.
The BP in alhaurin had about 10 left a minute ago, I felt bad taking 2 :thumbdown: one for us, and one for dad.

He said "don't worry, we will get more tomorrow"...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:07 pm

Mercadona and Lidl had a fair amount in today (although not the catfood I needed, nearly all dry cat and dog food were sold out in Mercadona) and a fair selection of fruit and veg. Still no gas in though. I noticed things were more expensive. The catfood was priced at about 60c more than previously and the wine I usually buy was more too.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:24 am

It is reported in the press that an agreement between the Government and transport sector representatives was reached in the early hours of this morning on the financial help to be provided to bring an end to the protests (including subsidising the cost of fuel by 20 centimos per litre) so hopefully the shortages should ease next week.

https://elpais.com/economia/2022-03-25/ ... porte.html

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:42 am

The shops weren't too badly stocked on Wednesday and we managed to get the last gas tank from the garage yesterday. Hopefully things will start to get back to normal if this agreement all goes through.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:54 pm

It was only milk in short supply yesterday. Only Puleva products available. Presumably they have their own in house haulage. I feel sorry for the farmers- you cannot just switch cows off.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:11 am

Maxi Dia must have deliverers more strident. Last week, it looked like the locusts had been in and, a few days ago, the normal fruit and veg section was just a row of collapsed plastic trays where the produce would normally be. Not quite so bad in Maskom and Carrefour but I hope that FaL's post is a sign that things will return to more normal.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:19 pm

I've heard that Mercadona have their own supply chain as there was barely any shortages in there apart from animal food. A lorry was just delivering more stuff as we were leaving, so it's not been so bad. I am fully stocked with everything we need this week now and hopefully things will ease if they do end the strike.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:15 pm

Here in UK, I went to Lidl today, & there were quite a few empty shelves - no tomatoes(apart from baby plum ones), some medicinal items were things I had gone in for, can't remember what else, but gaps were noticeable..
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:32 am

Where i live in the Uk the local Morrisons store has never had fully stocked shelves in the past 2 years. Before covid/brexit there was never a gap to be seen.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:05 am

Yes, I was stuck in UK through most of 2020 and practically all of 2021 and I can vouch for the Morrisons (more so than others, for some reason) scarcity. Mineral water, bizarrely, was about as easily transported as an oligarch's yacht. The odd 1.5 litre of something but mostly packs of lunchbox 330ml bottles. Apart from HGV driver shortages, I have no rational explanation for UK springs turning dry (although other basics were clearly missing).

Given that the locust-shelves in Malaga province have coincided with very noticeable protest drives here of the camiones, it does go to show how much we rely on truckers to get what we come to expect actually landing within walking distance of our domiciles. I know a bit about their abysmal treatment in the UK, and have started to read about fixed-price deliveries in ES that take no account of fuel price increases, so I do have a fair bit of sympathy for their plight.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:46 am

It seems the agreement reached a couple of days ago may not bring an end to the protest as many of those taking part say they will keep the protests going as they are not happy with the terms agreed, and don't consider them to go far enough. The new measures are not supposed to come into effect until 1 April anyway, and the subsidies involved will have to be claimed so it could be ages before they would see any benefit. I too feel sorry for them.

https://www.malagahoy.es/malaga/Camione ... 33114.html

So we will have to see whether the shelves are better stocked during the coming weeks. I shop at Mercadona and have also found them to be pretty much fully stocked, although we couldn't get a pack of 3 kitchen rolls yesterday morning (although they did have the packs of 6) nor any salted peanuts (there were very few other nuts either). Certainly nothing we couldn't manage without.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:49 am

I wonder the same about Amazon. Next day ( often “ free” ) rural deliveries. We are used to the various carriers having a specific day of the week for our area. The pressures on the carriers must be immense.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:49 pm

Check the YouTube documentales about amazon delivery drivers. Anyone with a vehicle can do it, and they get paid per package etc. Not sure if that's only in the USA or its in Europe as well.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:51 pm

https://youtu.be/TlcP2aTOp-Q its called "amazon flex" and the opening scene is a queue of 20-30 cars waiting to fill up with packages .