rock stein

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Cádiz
Resident

rock stein

Postby Cádiz » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:56 am

Good morn...
Looking for advise as to what to do with salt cod (bacalao) how do the Spanish cook... Got some and first time we cooked was tasteless...

luckyjim
Resident

Re: rock stein

Postby luckyjim » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:02 pm

You have to soak it first 24/48 hours. Changing the water 4/5 times. This is a crucial Step. Then cook it as you would want it, saute, battered and deep fried or poached

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:32 pm

A lot of the Bacalao sold now is “punta del Sal”. That means you can cook it straight from the packaging. The old fashioned dried salt cod is getting rare and needs a huge amount of preparation. The current fish is just brined, not dried.

I much prefer fresh cod but it’s not so common. Mercadona have some nice fresh cod but they are a bit small. It will become in short supply because most of it is caught by the Russian factory ships in Arctic waters. Same with Haddock but they don’t sell that in Spain.

Sid

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:14 pm

Thanks for replies... this is the real stuff i am pretty sure... it was covered in salt... it has being soaking for 30+ hours and will remove in the morn... tomorrow be the day but last time i did not like so i will try to fry in oil... what should i cover with... the Spanish seem so good at it which is why i asked here...

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:17 pm

Bread crumbs(Panko are great) or a very light batter, like a pakora batter.