Burger meat/mince

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Burger meat/mince

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:08 pm

I'm sure in the past that I have bought ordinary beef minced meat from Mercadona but I notice that it is all labeled as 'burger' meat these days. I have known that Lidl's is like this, but I am disappointed that Mercadona is now the same. It is not 100% meat and has additives, when all I want is beef meat, minced. Do any other supermarkets just sell minced meat these days?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Burger meat/mince

Postby gerryh » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:02 am

I think most butchers, including the meat counter in supermarkets will mince a piece of beef for you.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:13 am

gerryh wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:02 am I think most butchers, including the meat counter in supermarkets will mince a piece of beef for you.
Cheers
Gerry
Hi Gerry, Why are you not listed as a Mod now. Still listed as Guru.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:35 am

Wicksey,
I also noticed the same change with the minced meat in most supermarkets.

Now I only buy the minced meat from our local butcher, much better, maybe a little more expensive but better quality, I like to select the piece of meat and watch it being minced in front of me.
Also the chicken is much better from the local shop, seems a bit more expensive but fresher and I'm not paying for ice !
You get what you pay for. :think:
Saludos,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:00 am

I shall have to have a look thanks. I haven't been in a butchers here for years apart from the English one in Nerja. The parking is awful though to get to him otherwise we may have popped in more. He says his meat is all free range which is even better. I don't buy a lot of meat and a kg of mince lasts me months (frozen in portions) so it's worth paying a bit more for better quality.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:20 pm

In mercadona the minced meat is about 80% meat and 20% filling, we have a liking for the lidl 'fresona' mince, it seems to be tastier
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:35 pm

Found some 400gr packs of organic beef mince in Eroski. It was on offer but was about 12€ a kilo. They did also have another pack of pure beef mince but that was about 16€ a kilo. I don't use much and if I get to Nerja one day may look at the English butcher whose mince is on the website at 10€ a kilo.
Eroski's burger meat was only 70% beef from memory, whereas other makes are higher percentage, about 90%. I just don't want soya and cereals added. I'm sure that Mercadona's used to be pure beef, but this is just a way of cutting down the quantity and quality but charging the same.