Cooking Indian

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Preppie
Tourist

Cooking Indian

Postby Preppie » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:47 pm

Ever since my daughter came back from her gap year in India she has been cooking delicious meals using ingredients bought in our local shops in UK :P Where can I get these ingredients in Costa del Sol, East of Malaga :?:

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:20 pm

My place is in Sabinillas preppie and most ingredients I need, I can find in the local supermarkets.
What ingredients are you actually looking for?
I used to follow the Madhur Jaffrey recipes but a Goan friend of mine told me that though they were good I was being daft buying so many spices and ingredients when the 'PATAK' range of pastes were available. I still sometimes cook the long winded way as per Madhur but have had excellent results using the Patak pastes and they are readily available in the local Mecadona and Hypersol.
Give them a try.
P.S.
There used to be a spice shop at the bottom end of Gibraltar main street.
Also I have seen fresh Coriander for sale at the Sabbi Sunday market.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:27 pm

Preppie, try the street markets. There is an excellent stall for herbs and spices at the Almunecar market. Sow some coriander seeds and water well and you will soon have your own fresh coriander. It's also easy to grow a variety of your own chillies which can be dried or frozen. Must admit I like a variety of poppadoms which I have not found, so I still get them in Indian supermarkets in the UK. Nemaste, :) Sandra
Sandramay

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Try Iranzo in Nerja. They are on the main road through town at the top of the road going down to the Parador.

They have the most extraordinary collection of food and spices from all over the world. You can get all the Patak range and many others and they have a huge number of spices.

I go in there regularly and always spend at least 30 minutes just browsing - Cueva de Aladdin springs to mind!

Sid

oddies

Indian Food

Postby oddies » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:25 pm

For Indian recipes try the website below

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/

Robbbo57
Andalucia.com Amigo

Indian Ingredients

Postby Robbbo57 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:17 pm

Hi Preppie

Most of the larger local markets stock the standard spices like cinnamon, coriander, cumin, cloves, and cardamoms, etc.

However, there is a small but well-stocked indian grocers in Torremolinos, near the bus station, for authentic poppadoms, gram flour (for onion bhajis), curry leaves, and much more.

Enjoy!!!

(Pataks????? pleeeease!!!)
Smile - you're going to die!:-)

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:43 pm

What is wrong with Pataks curry pastes? I have done the route of the curry snob using all seperate ingredients to make my own masalla, pataks pastes (not cook in sauces) are an excellent masalla base from which to work. :roll:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:07 pm

Has anyone come across any inland shops ,ie Loja, Antequera, Granada etc, where we could obtain genuine Indian/ Chinese ingredients ?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Why re-invent the wheel, just go to the nearest Indian restaurant :)

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:43 am

katy wrote:Why re-invent the wheel, just go to the nearest Indian restaurant :)
Trouble is it would cost even more than your rip off 8 euro Menu del Dias, what's wrong with the good old Vesta Curries, that's what I want to know?
They were truly a tantalizing taste of the east. Authentic and mouthwatering and in their dried form not very heavy, you could smuggle loads into your suitcase if you find them on special offer somewhere. :lol:

Robbbo57
Andalucia.com Amigo

Curry ingredients.

Postby Robbbo57 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:47 pm

spanish hopes wrote:I have done the route of the curry snob
Good for you, and of course, there is a curry somewhere to suit everybodies taste! A lot of people like to cook from scratch, however, and it is ultimately more economic, and more fun to do so, unless you only eat curries occasionally, and/or you don't like to cook. In general, I prefer to know what goes into my food, (as far as that is possible these days!). I don't think "snobbery" enters into it.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:41 pm

The reason I suggested snobbery robbo was not at the thought of preparing your own masala which of course should always give you the taste you enjoy but at your "pataks????? Pleeeease" jibe
Pataks make make excellent curry pastes and are ideal for anyone who does not cook curry enough to warrant having a cupboard full of spices, some which do deteriorate over time. :lol:

Los_Vecinos
Tourist

Postby Los_Vecinos » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Totally agree - Pataks Pastes are excellent bases for making curries.

I have done the whole homemade bit, from start to finish, but there's nothing wrong with alternatives.

Robbbo57
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pataks? Please.........

Postby Robbbo57 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:06 am

Independant review of Pataks.........

Ingredients : water, onions, vegetable oil, tomato puree, whey powder, onion powder, modified maize starch, wheat flour, salt, sugar, mixed spices, coriander, skimmed milk powder, garlic pulp, lemon juice, turmeric, acetic acid, milk protein, colour - paprika extract, parsley

Top ingredient = water and the sauce shows it. It is very runny and a brownish colour rather than the expected red hue of tikka masala. Smells unpleasant when cooking and tastes like spiced-up gravy when cooked.

Comments include "yuk, yuk, yuk", "gravy like", "horrible", "salty".

Taste test - 2 OKs, 3 poors and a resounding 9 yuks.

Need we say more?

Robbbo57
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robbbo57 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:21 am

katy wrote:Why re-invent the wheel, just go to the nearest Indian restaurant :)
Why reinvent the cave?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Patak's Garam Masala Curry Paste lists vegetable oil as the main ingredient and not water. One would be using oil to fry the meat or vegetables anyway. Water & salt are the next two ingredients listed then cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, tomato puree, sugar (always recommended for any dish when using tomatoes), maize flour, cardamom, coriander, acetic acid, cumin and spices.

A Goan friend who is an excellent cook and often caters for large functions recommends the use of Patak's pastes.

papajohnsplace
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby papajohnsplace » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:41 am

Good for you, and of course, there is a curry somewhere to suit everybodies taste! A lot of people like to cook from scratch, however, and it is ultimately more economic, and more fun to do so, unless you only eat curries occasionally, and/or you don't like to cook. In general, I prefer to know what goes into my food, (as far as that is possible these days!). I don't think "snobbery" enters into it.
I too prefer to know what goes into my food. It also makes a big difference to health. Since cutting out all artificial ingredients from my diet, I have been much healthier and also suffered far less from migraine problems, usually only getting them when have eaten/drunk something by accident that has artificial sweeteners or colouring in it.

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:49 pm

Preppie, as you are near Vinuela try the Torre market on a Thursday morning. There are a couple of stalls which sell very good spices including turmeric, curry powder, coriander, cayenne etc at excellent prices.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:05 pm

Bendidorm I have a business in the Granada region, and being a lover of Indian food I did consider stocking Indian herbs/spices. I have a supplier, but I have to do a little market research and see if people would like this sort of service/product. If this proves to be a viable option I will pm you with details, as I am sure it would be possible to post to you if distance was a problem.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:32 am

Jane

I presume you mean the Torre del Mar market. If it's on Thursday will be going tomorrow. Any info on how to get to the market and also the map & book store would be greatly appreciated

Fred