Childrens Clothing

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Childrens Clothing

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:16 am

As long as I can remember , childrens clothing in Spain has been expensive, I don't mean the cheap t-shirts etc., but normal nice clothing...
I've never been able to understand why an item of small clothing can be more expensive than an adult item...Especially when it probably won't be worn for more than 6 months, due to rapid growth size of children.....

It is also very difficult to find garments that have been 'Made in Spain', nearly all the clothing we have looked at recently is from the Far East, I'm not 'knocking' the quality, or style of the imports, it just seems a shame that very little is made locally......Same applies to UK, at this moment in time , all of the big Supermarkets are offering imported clothing at really 'knocked down prices ' ..
.My Wife retailed babies and childrens wear, in Spain ,for a number of years, and the prices in UK are now cheaper than she paid wholesale...more than 10 years ago..
She did find that her Spanish customers really loved her range of imported British clothing...I wonder how and where Mums now buy their childrens clothing in Spain, and is it easy to find good quality well designed garments , ?..We are now buying for grandchildren, but find very little in Spain, that's different or now available in UK at much lower prices.....

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:59 pm

My kids clothing comes from either of these 3 shops:

Dunes Store
C&A
Mayoral
El Corte Ingles (when the sales are on)

I have bought clothes from the big supermarkets like Carrefour and Eroski but the quality is very poor.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:21 pm

Is this a gap in the market??? :wink:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:18 pm

Dido,
Well it was a 'gap' in the market , when we were involved, perhaps it could still be...Check it out... could be a good business for you in Spain..... :wink:

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:51 am

I buy my childrens clothes from H & M, Zara, C & A, Kiabi, Dunnes and El Corte Ingles. I never buy really expensive clothes and I like to get things in the sales if I can. My children go off the clothes so its hardly worth buying very expensive good quality items. Also if we went for a walk and they wanted to play on the beach I would hate to have to stop them because they have such expensive clothes on! Decathlon is great for swimsuits, tracksuits, casual trousers and shorts. Locally there is not a lot and a childrens clothes shop would be good. Also there is a lack of childrens shoe shops locally. A shoe shop that measured feet and fitted the shoes properly would be very popular. I am asked about this all the time.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:18 am

I'm excited now :roll: Come on I need somebody to tell me what a bad idea this is before I start looking into it :wink:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:51 am

Diana,
If you are really looking for a business to set up in Spain, I would recommend anything to do with children's and babies clothing and footwear. I would go for the middle range, reasonably priced good quality items, that appeal to both expat and local Spanish trade..The lower end of the market is well catered for at the local markets, and the top range is very limited unless you live in Madrid or similar.
You don't have to set up a shop initially, try car boots,markets, party plan, ebay etc. to build experience and a customer base.
Years ago I set one of my Nieces up with a baby and children's wear business, she visited all of the Guarderia's and nurseries in the area and set up a stall about an hour before they closed. The idea was that parents and grandparents who called to collect their offspring would look and buy...and it worked..She did well and only 'packed up' when she left her Spanish husband and returned to UK, she didn't make fortunes , but it was well worth her effort.I did the buying for her, and imported from UK, Holland and Germany..She also bought secondhand items from her customers and sold them at the local car boot, surprisingly the local Spanish were her best customers for the second hand, all presented clean and in good repair..
Good Luck to anyone who has a go at this business, and feel free to ask me for info.., if I can help...I will... :wink:

Chrissie
Resident

Children's Clothing

Postby Chrissie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:28 pm

dido72 wrote:I'm excited now :roll: Come on I need somebody to tell me what a bad idea this is before I start looking into it :wink:
Diana, Sorry, but I can't tell you it's a bad idea as it sounds a very viable business to me.
Seems like you just found your new business venture :D
Best of luck
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

fantasy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

childrens clothes

Postby fantasy1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:24 pm

Dido72 have sent you a pm

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:32 pm

Well that's encouraging so far, well worth looking into I think.

Benidorm, if you have any ideas/contacts etc I would be really grateful, selling on markets etc sounds like a really good way to start and I imagine you would only need a licence to trade which should be simple enough (HA!)???

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:43 pm

One of the things that has amazed me is that most of the clothes worn by the Spanish (of all ages) seem to be made of stretch nylon/polyester.
They do love their tracksuits as well, bright orange seems to be the favourite colour at the moment.
The only time I have seen cotton/linen worn is usually by non-Spanish.
Sorry, apart from jeans.

How on earth do they keep cool?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:07 pm

There are a lot of smart/trendy dressed adults and kids around here, much more than the foreigners. What I find difficult about buying clothes here they are either aimed at 17 year olds or the 60 year old blue rinse brigade, padded shoulders of the eighties etc.

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:55 am

Katy, I agree. Not being 17 any more does not worry me at all...on the contrary. However not being able to buy modern clothes without looking like 'mutton dresses as lamb' is a problem. :cry: Certainly with the growing 'greying' population, with money to spend, there must be a good business plan in this sector. :D
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:53 pm

Dido,
Just noticed your request for info., so if you are serious please pm me......

Katy.....There has always been a 'gap' in the market for fashionable ladies clothing for the 25's to 60's age group...better to dress 'smart' .....than, as Laclotte stated to go down the 'mutton' route...Only in my 'humble ' opinion ..of course :oops: ...I am after all only a bloke...so what do I know ?
ps Shoulder Pads... they are 'back in', ...well they were the other day ...in Oxfam.. :wink:

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Benidorm, I have sent you a PM.