schools on gibraltar

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
charliek
Tourist

schools on gibraltar

Postby charliek » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:31 pm

I am considering taking a job on Gibraltar and understand there is a private school there. Does anyone know what its called / what its like and if I need to be resident there. Also a nice area to live thats within 1 hr of Gib. Needs to have a healthy mix of spanish and ex pats,

Thanks,

Charlie.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:37 pm

As far as im aware,there is no private school in Gib!
If you are not resident in Gib you will have to pay for your children to have their education in Gib.I really wouldnt bother.My child spent 1.5 years there and was never excepted.He has been going to spanish school for a few years now and has never been more happier and his grades prove that.
Perhaps try the international school at sotogrande if you want private education(in spain)
To live around an hours drive away(thats a lot of commuting from Gib everyday,have you considered just whats involved ,border que etc..)

here is a Gibraltar forum,you may get more info from here
http://www.gibraltarnewsonline.com/forums/

fantasy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Schools in Gibraltar

Postby fantasy1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:31 am

Hi,

I have to ditto the above my daughter went to a school in Gibraltar and within 6 months her grades dropped and she was very unhappy, she moved to a school in Spain where she left with 11 high passes and is now at college studying triple science and other subject, she has just completed her 1st year there and has passed everything.
As for private schools in Gibraltar there is one but it does not carry onto senior level so you spend all that money only to have to put them in the senior school which in my opinion is not worth it.
I am not saying that there have been some great success stories of people sending there children to school in Gibraltar but ours were not one of them.
What’s more if you send them to school in Gibraltar and live in Spain you will have two problems.1.Come the holidays and after school most of there friends will be in Gibraltar 2.They are not taught how to speak Spanish properly they speak a mixture of English & Spanish neither spoken correctly and when you talk to them they will hold a conversation using both languages.
I have no problem with Gibraltar itself as without we would not be where we are today as it has allowed us to earn a good wage and live in a nice house in Spain but I personally would not send a child of mine to there senior schools as PrincessPeach stated they may well like our children find it hard to be accepted and i am not just talking about the students.
As for places to live we live in Manilva and compute everyday it takes about 30 mins depending on traffic then we park round the back of L-Linea for nothing and walk through the park which takes about 5 mins then we have a scooter, but there is also a good regular bus services or you can walk into town which does not take long.
If you pm me i can give you a list of good rental agents and one in particulr that you avoid with your life.

charliek
Tourist

Postby charliek » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:34 am

Thanks, do you know what the school is called,

Charlie.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:36 pm

Charliek use the link i gave you for the Gib forum,they will tell you what the school is called,where it is and how much the fees are.They are very helpful.

fantasy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Schools in Gibraltar

Postby fantasy1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:43 pm

Its called Loreto Convent First School and Nursery (private)
Loreto Convent Middle School (private)

Loreto Convent School -Europa Road

Telephone: 20075781 Fax: 20044889

Hope this helps