Healthcare for pregnant wife

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
pieman
Tourist

Healthcare for pregnant wife

Postby pieman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:53 am

Hi, Looking for folks in the know here.
My wife and I recently moved to the Cadiz area where I was employed by a Spanish company but now self-employed. We have now discovered my wife is pregnant and have tried to find out the options we have from the local Doctor as far as healthcare is concerned. She said that we have 3 options, I pay the 250 euros a month for NI as being self employed and we go to the local hospital or pay for private insurance, which will cost a couple of thousand in total over the 9 months including the delivery, or 'pay as we go' in effect, at every appointment.
Is this normal? Can brits not use the Spanish NHS just like the Spanish use UK NHS?
We are now making plans to return to the UK as we are planning on more than one child and do not want to pay through the nose. We dont speak Spanish that well either by the way..

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:57 pm

If you pay the 250€ a month autonomo you and your family should be entitled to state healthcare (you get a card sent to you when you register at a doctors) the same as anyone, Spanish or English who is paying into the system.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:58 pm

Do you have your E106 from the UK? If so, it is valid for 2 years from the issue date so you can get it stamped at your local social security office, then you can register at the local GP and use the state health care. It will be recharged to the UK where you will (hopefully) have paid your health contributions.

pieman
Tourist

Thanks

Postby pieman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:13 pm

Thanks for the input.
After reading and hearing about 1st hand experiences with hospitals/maternity wards involving English people in the part of Spain we are in, my wife has decided that she doesnt want to be a part of it so we are moving back.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:38 pm

What have you heard that is making you want to move back Pieman?

I am in the Costa de La Luz also, and have heard nothing different to how english people are treated as opposed to spanish.

I agree things are done very differently here, ie almost guaranteed an episiotomy, no gas & air.....but it is the same for every woman, be it spanish, english or whatever.

I am pregnant with my first child and would rather have the baby "spanish style" rather than go back to live in the UK. When i feel aprehensive of giving birht here, i think of all the spanish women i see, walking around pushing their babies, smiling and proud....and tell myself it cannot be that bad.

I do hope everything works out for you all.

Best wishes,

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 pm

congratulations on your attitude, Karen. I really hope you carry it through, and wish you the best.

some others should really cut the cord when they move from the motherland :roll:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:06 pm

Thanks Colin. You are right, it is all in the attitude. I know it is different having a baby in Spain, the same as it is different having one in Holland (only go to hospital to give birth if there is a problem) as to having one in UK, etc etc.

We have chosen this life in Spain and are very happy here. We want to share this life with our baby and know it is a lovely place to bring a child up.
I keep looking to the bigger picture when i feel worried, and know that a few hours of pain and some possibly unneccessary stitches are a small price to pay, for being able to continue this life we have chose. Yes it is daunting, but for me, seeing all these happy women walking around pushing their prams, it shows it can´t be all that bad! :lol:

pieman
Tourist

Postby pieman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:52 pm

Cork AND Spain hey? Looks like you need to practice what you preach. We were looking for advice not judgement but thank you.

Karandjon -
*Turns out the EHIC / E106 doesnt cover full maternity and therefore we would need to pay privately. I am self-employed but invoicing using a UK company so have no claim to the social security here.

*The differences in the general care dont sit well with my wife (who just happens to be medically trained and has worked in UK hospitals) eg no non-medical care, which is an issue for us

*Men have been asked to leave the delivery room before the baby is born for no reason. (Same for c-sections)

*Our English doctor here went back to the UK to have her child. This was the deal breaker.

I am sure its different where you are and good luck with the new baby.

If anyone has any different experiences in the Cadiz area then please let me know.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:09 pm

pieman, I too, have heard about the father being asked to leave the delivery room before the birth. However, I see no reason why the father cannot put his foot down and demand he will stay exactly by his wifes side, to see his baby come into this world. (as long as it is a straightforward birth, obviously). Also, you can put your views across, along with your birth plan, on your regular hospital appointments, so it is known what you are wanting, BEFORE you are admitted.

I cant comment on how this will work, personally, as obviously i have not given birth yet. I am a member of a mumsinspain site and there are many positive stories on there of english women giving birth in spain (along with some not so good ones also).

I am not sure what your comment "you need to practice what you preach" means. :? All i am doing, is sharing my experience so far, from what i have found in the costa de la luz.

I wish you well with your return to living in the UK, and all the best with your wifes pregnancy.

Karen

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:42 pm

The only time I have ever heard of the father being told to leave the delivery room in Spain is in the case of c-sections. They don't offer many drugs here which puts people off. There is only the epidural, no gas & air, pethidine etc... however, for me that would be a plus.
You can have a bad birth experience anywhere. I had both of my children in the UK and the first especially was a traumatic experience which spoiled my first 3 months with my new son. They rode rough shod over me, scaring me into having drugs which I didn't want by threatening me with a c section. One incredibly stupid midwife told me that I would not be able to give birth naturally as I am only 4'11"!!!! I could barely get up for 3 months due to the effects of the pethidine on me and, 6 months after the Epi, I started getting the cold sensation up and down my spine as if the Epi was being administered and then terrible shooting pains in my legs. As my son was very jaundiced (because of a hereditary enzyme deficiency which wasn't diagnosed until my younger son became ill in Spain 2 years ago & the UK hospital did not pick up on) we had to stay in for 5 days. The hospital was filthy, the food inedible & I cried every day just wanting to be at home.

The 2nd was different as I told them all to bog off until I was sure that baby was ready to come. Wherever you go to give birth, do your research before you go in and learn how to read the equipment so that they can't fob you off, and stick to your guns over your birth plan.

Pieman, I hope that your wife gets the birth that she wants and wish you well. If you can choose which hospital to give birth in then make sure you get opinions from people who have been there and also visit the hospitals and check out the facilities & cleanliness.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Crazyred. I am only 5´2" and tiny with no hips, so was worried about pushing a baby out of that!! You have put my mind at rest, being even tinier than me! :lol:
I am pleased about the father being allowed in the delivery room. That is a big plus for me. I have accepted that i wont be having gas, air etc, so have only to try to sort out the "new speak" of the "pregnancy language", and i´ll be sorted.
I have an appointment at the hospital next month, so will hopefully be able to see for myself what it is like there.I dont know anyone with kids to ask tho, about personal experiences, so will have to go with gut feeling. :lol:

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:36 pm

You'll never know I suppose, but you might be glad you never had the chance to have gas and air. I was given that with my first child in the UK. I didn't want it and it began to make me feel quite ill, very quickly. :(
The nurses scoffed at me unkindly and said nobody was ever sick giving birth, but I am afraid I was, very sick :oops:
I am sure it's not like that for everyone - perhaps I was one of the unfortunate few, but you never know, you could have reacted the same as me, so it's not all negative.
My first grandchild is due at the end of September here, so I have an idea what you must be feeling at this moment and I bet you are just as excited as I am :lol: :lol: My son's partner is only little like you too.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Good for you Karen (and Jon) can't see you being bullied into something you do not want to do, even though you are petite :wink:
My younger,( 5ft 3inch) daughter wanted a home birth but was advised against it as she had antibody M. However, she recently went into hospital at 8.15pm, gave birth to a son at 8.40pm and at 9.15pm was asked if she wanted to go home that night!
I've always said I would rather give birth than have a tooth out, holding that newborn miracle is unbelievable and indescribable.
35 years on I still use my antenatal breathing exercises instead of an injection if I have to have a tooth filling. :wink:
Enjoy your pregnancies all, as you blossom and radiate :)
Sandramay

SueinSpain
Tourist

Re: Healthcare for pregnant wife

Postby SueinSpain » Thu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi
Does anyone have any experiences of giving birth at either Costa del Sol or Malaga Hospitals. Having read some of the differences between Spanish and English care, I'm feeling a little nervous about the system here and would like to know what others experienced.
Thanks
Sue :?

gente
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Healthcare for pregnant wife

Postby gente » Thu May 28, 2009 10:35 pm

http://www.mumsinspain.com/ This is a good site with lots of information about giving birth in Spain