Is anyone out there?

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
hopeful in Southampton
Tourist

Is anyone out there?

Postby hopeful in Southampton » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:36 pm

I am really keen on any ones advice or knowledge in to opening a nursery in spain. Are there regulations such as OFSTED in the UK? Are nurseries in demand? I would be leaving everything to do this and need some idea on how to find relevant information and no one has as yet responded to my previous post :(

PLEASE can anyone at least point me in the right direction? :oops:
Hopeful in Southampton

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Well you could start by opening a nursery here on this forum, you would be busy.

But to be serious..., my niece was involved with a Guardaria/Nursery, it was a while ago, but I do know that it was quite complicated. If you can't speak fluent Spanish, I doubt that you could accept Spanish children, and rules and regs. are now very complex with regard to any involvement with children.

A good idea , first , would be to contact a Spanish Gestoria, and find out what licence is required ..
I don't want to put you off, but it is quite complicated opening any business in Spain, and the paperwork is costly before you start.
Still ..I wish you luck, nothing is impossible...

Regards,
Gordon...
Last edited by BENIDORM on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Nurseries apply to town halls and comunidades for licensing.
Im sorry,but i am struggling to find any more info for you.Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.
:cry:

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:27 pm

A good starting point would be to get a copy of the book Starting a Business in Spain which will tell you a lot about the legal structures that you could have, start up costs, issues about employment etc.

For many it's probably the end of the dream when they understand what's involved.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:47 am

One problem with any advice you may receive is that what applies in one town may not apply in another :D My Early Years Care and Education NVQ 3 was not valid to convert to Spanish Course as I had not practiced for 2 years, If I wanted to work in that area I would have to start all over again!! If your qualifications are up to date there is a course for you to do to convert to the Spanish equivilent. Good place to start would be the Oracion ( Not sure if the spelling) office in the town where you wish to start up your business. There is also a course to help you set up your own business, I think you would need to have a fairly good knowledge of the Spanish Language to do the course. Good Luck

hopeful in Southampton
Tourist

Thank you

Postby hopeful in Southampton » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:38 am

Thank you all so much for your advice, I am depressed now ! Every avenue I go down employment wise I get hit with a brick wall! Firstly I looked at Social work because by the time I reach Sapin I will be a Social worker and then looked at nurseries as I ahve an NNEB, and everything seems so impossible, seems like the end of my dream! :(
Hopeful in Southampton

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:00 am

My daughter is a secondary teacher in French and Spanish and the only schools she has been able to teach in, in Spain with her British qualifications and degree, are the private British or International schools. It might be worth contacting these to enquire if they need anyone in the nurseries.

Good luck

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 am

Don't give up, it is really hard to get here unless you are a lottery winner and it is even harder to stay but if you want it enough you will find a way.

I don't think nurseries are the way to go as state nurseries are free here if both parents work and private nurseries only charge a small amount compared to the uk, I pay 200€ per month for 9-3 5 days a week and that includes breakfast.

Try to find a job frst, there are plenty around if you are willing to look hard enough and rent somewhere, if it all goes wrong you just pack up and go home with no strings!!!

Good luck :)

yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby yummymummy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 pm

My advice would also be to get a job here in a nursery first to understand the system and how things work. If you really love in than you can spend time in your spare time sorting things out.

Don´t get depressed just be realistic and go for it when you feel you are totally in tune with the local market.

As Dido72 said, prices here are nothing like the UK. A year ago I used to pay 180€ per month for my daughter to go to nursery from 9am to 2pm and that included lunch. Nothing like the UK where you would be paying more than that per week.

Whatever you decide, good luck.