Any English Adults on here that went to Spanish school

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Any English Adults on here that went to Spanish school

Postby princess peach » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:22 pm

I was just wondering if there are any adults that are members of this forum who actually went to school in spain and are still here?
The reason i ask for is because we have terrible trouble with the spanish maths homework that my son brings home.
We can get the answer to the sums,but we cant figure out the spanish way of actually working the sum out(we only know the english way,if this is shown to him,he will be even more confused,so we cannot help him at all.)
Does or did anyone else have trouble with the spanish way of Maths.
My son has to result in putting up his hand in class telling the teacher he doesnt understand(i know its the best way,but he is embarrassed :oops: )
Are we alone in this?
As the work is getting harder and harder we are all getting more and more frustrated.
If i get stuck with helping him is there anyone on here that might be able to help us understand the spanish maths working out?
Thanks

HKM
Resident

Re: Any English Adults on here that went to Spanish school

Postby HKM » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi

My son is 9 and we are having the same problem.. After last school term we decided that this term we would pay him to go to a maths tutor, she is actually a teacher at the school 8 hours a month is 60 euros, but well worth it in our eyes saves a lot of stress at home.. I think some of the ways they work things out is just plain stupid..

H x

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:18 pm

Our son had problems as it completely different to the way any of us had been taught in the UK. We paid our Spanish teacher for one extra lesson a week to help him with his maths for a few months and that did the trick. It has also given him confidence and if he does not understand anything in class now he will ask :D

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:26 pm

My 8 year old's maths homework seems to be the worked out same way that I was taught in the UK. Why don't you arrange a meeting with the teacher and ask her to show you the logic behind the way that they are doing it so that you can help him?
The only difference I have noticed is that they do the tables the other way around.

worldbookday
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby worldbookday » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:58 pm

My son is 9yrs old, back in yr 2 his teacher gave me a maths lesson after I explained we did maths differently in the UK. I have since learned long division the Spanish way, and like evreything else its easy once you know how, and I did like maths when I was at school :D I have to say where we are its unusual not to send you child to classes de particulares, (many parents themselves did not have a good education and dont want their children ending up like them - working in the campo) if my son had any problems I would certainly get him extra help just as I did for my eldest son in the UK 16yrs ago - a severe dyslexic.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:25 am

well first of all,im glad its not just us that suffer the spanish way of maths homework.
He did pluck up the courage to ask the teacher for help,he says the teacher is quite aggressive and that is why he didnt want to ask him.but he was o.k with my son,but another girl asked him for help and he shouted at her. :shock: this is what put him off. :evil:
I will go in to the school if he continues to struggle,but its difficult, as i speak limited spanish and my son has to translate if i get stuck.

worldbookday
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby worldbookday » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:17 am

Maybe you could find an older Spanish Student who would be willing to show you and your son how to do the maths or any other homework in exchange for a little English conversation?
Might help your Spanish as well :D

Trackbikes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trackbikes » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:29 pm

My daughter showed her teacher how to do division the english way... now either way is acceptable

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:58 pm

well,i never thought of that trackbikes. :oops:
I have just presumed the spanish way or no way.
I will get my son to ask his teacher - providing he gets the correct answer,does it matter how the sums are worked out?.
This would be a great solution to the maths problem.
Thanks for that!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:00 pm

online maths dictionary might be of help to some of you
http://math2.org/math/spanish/eng-spa.htm
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Thankyou Silver i have added that site to my favourites along with the other one you sent me.Your a star! :wink: