Bachierato versus International Bacalaureate

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
joscelynk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Bachierato versus International Bacalaureate

Postby joscelynk » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:35 pm

I know quite a lot about the International Baccalaureate but can anyone tell me if it is possible to enter universities in the UK with the Spanish Bachierato as a qualification?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bachierato versus International Bacalaureate

Postby frank » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Can't answer your question, sorry, but if you decide to google it, it's "Bachillerato".
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:38 pm

Bachillerato which is the the last two non-compulsory years of secondary education doesn't give entry to Spanish universities. University admissions are determined by results in the Selectividad or Prueba de acceso a la universidad (PAU). Many would-be students take intensive courses to prepare for Selectividad after Bachillerato. IB is highly regarded around the world and gives access to universities.

I suppose the choice between Bachillerato and IB would be determined by several factors:
1.whether a parent has the money to send their child to a school teaching the IB syllabus
2.assuming that the IB is at a higher standard, whether the child will be likely to succeed at that level
3.what the parent and their child want after the course has finished

joscelynk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joscelynk » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:14 pm

thank you - i really need to know if the spanish bachierato is acceptable to British universities or only the IB ?

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:05 pm

I would have thought the best thing to to would be to ring one of the universities and ask.

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Given that Bachillerato does not qualify students to get into Spanish universities, why would it get them into foreign ones?

The Selectividad is the entrance exam for universities and, as far as I know, is set by each autonomous region, so that isn't a national exam in the way that A levels, although set by different examination boards, are. I'm not sure whether the Selectividad of one autonomous region will necessarily be accepted by others but there must be some arrangement as people from Andlucia do go to universities in other parts of the country.

Whether the Andalucian Selectividad would be acceptable to British universities would be determined by contacting UCAS and/or individual universities as Marina suggested.