Teaching Qualification

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
Acen
Resident

Teaching Qualification

Postby Acen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Does anyone know what teaching qualification is required to teach at an International school.

Specifically what would a graduate/professional person require as additional qualifications/training to start as career as a teacher at an english speaking international school.

many thanks for any advice given.

acen
Last edited by Acen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Teaching Qualification

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Acen wrote: gradutate/profesional
An English qualification maybe a good start !!...

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:52 pm

thanks for your observation.

corrections made!!!!!!

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:57 pm

They will need the same qualification as a UK teacher.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks, I was initially told that you can do a post graduate qualification which includes classroom time, which would be a substitute for a teaching degree.

is this correct???

thanks

acen

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 am

Yes, known as a PGCE. There is one that can be taken in Spain, which qualifies you to teach in International schools and in private schools in the UK, but not UK state schools. I think it is run by Nottingham Uni.
Otherwise a PGCE taken in the UK will qualify for both countries.
I do know that if you wish to take a PGCE in the UK to teach in primary, you need to have a minimum of 10 days experience in a UK school before you can apply. Not helpful to anyone who has been living abroad as my daughter discovered. :crazy:

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:57 am

Marina wrote:Yes, known as a PGCE. There is one that can be taken in Spain, which qualifies you to teach in International schools and in private schools in the UK, but not UK state schools. I think it is run by Nottingham Uni.
Otherwise a PGCE taken in the UK will qualify for both countries.
I do know that if you wish to take a PGCE in the UK to teach in primary, you need to have a minimum of 10 days experience in a UK school before you can apply. Not helpful to anyone who has been living abroad as my daughter discovered. :crazy:

Thanks Marina for the good advice. I will look into it further. It for a privately run english school here in Spain, so i assume the 10 could be done at a spanish sprivate school instead.

Is the PGCE 1 year full time??

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:15 pm

The one in Spain doesn't have the ten day requirement. It is full time and you would be based in a school and doing the study online. You would need to secure your school placement and would probably not be paid for it, although you could probably pick up some private lessons. If you are very lucky, the school that you are thinking of may employ you as an unqualified teacher while you are getting your qualification.

For the UK one, the 10 days (They often require more) must be done in a school in the UK. An international or private school here, even with the National Curriculum isn't acceptable. Again it is a full time course.

I know that for primary there is a lot of competition for places in the UK and they require a good degree.

Good luck.