new parent with qu's!

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
spanishcrusts
Tourist

new parent with qu's!

Postby spanishcrusts » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:34 pm

Hi there

I am new and have posted my introduction in the general section. We are plannign to move to Granada or nearby at the beginning of August this year to be near family already living there.

We are a family with three children aged between 2 and 6. Currently we home educate but will be looking at schools and childcare in the area we move to.

My work is as a behaviour management consultant and sleep trainer and I run parenting courses. I am planning to fly back to London (somewhat unwillingly!) to work once a month. I would prefer to work in Spain but am unsure whether there would be a market for this in either the ex-pat or wider communities.

I have many questions about childcare arrangements as I will probably need to make use of this type of thing at some point for our three children. What do you find works?

I would be grateful to know your thoughts on whether there might be a market for my type of work in the region as if there were it would free us up massively in terms of plans.

I look forward to chatting with you!

:)

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi..

During school hours, schools offer a breakfast service, school lunches and after school activities.
This means that although school hours are 9 till 2 you can infact drop them off at 7.30 and leave them there until 6 or 7 depending on the activities..

In holidays or half terms nearly all schools offer campamento, which is school with no lessons ..lol..
Activities take place such as sports, art, cooking and a general organised doss.
Some schools will also offer lunches in campamento if yours doesn't you can put them in a different one.

Your 2 yr old can go to a Guarderia (nursery) which open 7.30 til 20.00 (depending on the nursery), they do start school here at three though so if she/he is three before christmas you can get them into school

spanishcrusts
Tourist

Postby spanishcrusts » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:25 am

Hi Costachick

That is extremely helpful advice, thank you!

Sounds pretty cool if one should ever have need to virtually invisible-ify the children for a day or so!! Much better than here where working parents have to fret and cajole childminders when the holidays come around.

Is all this out of school provision very costly do you know? It surely can't be as much as it costs in the UK but I have no idea.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susi » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:50 am

Costachick is of course talking about the Malaga area. You might find the Granada area to be a slightly different story, unless you are in Granada itself. Our village school runs from 9 til 2 but has no extra curricular activities, no holiday facilities, no sports facilities in school time in fact it doesn't have much of anything. For this reason my children are moving to a bilingual private school just outside Granada in September.