what do working parents do with their children after 2pm??

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
angie22

what do working parents do with their children after 2pm??

Postby angie22 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Hi

Can anybody point me in the right direction for childcare or child minding? I am due to start full time work in about a months time and need help looking after my 6yr old and 10yr old. What do other people do? Surely I'm not the only one in this position?? I know that there is a good after school program at the Sabanillas school, but there is a break between 2 and 4pm for lunch. Not ideal for working mums!!

Any help would be appreciated.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:01 pm

Ask at the school..headmaster or someone in the parents association..maybe there is another mum...who would feed and look after your kids
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:59 pm

I agree, ask around - on the other hand if you are close to home and working normal fulltime hours you may find you get the same lunchbreak - 2 til 4pm so you might not have a problem.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:16 pm

I have my children at Sabinillas school and both myself & my partner work. If you put them down for comedor (school meals between 2-3pm) and then activities from 4-5pm then you don't need to worry about them between 3-4 as they are allowed to stay and play in the playground. To enroll them in comedor you will need to see the director at the primary school and show him a work contract (if you are due to start your employer shouldn't have a problem giving you one to show). The comedor is quite full so if you are a single mum who needs to work then you stand more of a chance of getting them in. It's quite a hearty meal too so, you may find that they only want a sandwich when they come home.

If you need to get them into activities I would advise you to enrol them now. As they are 6 & 10 try to get them into Multideportes. 100 Eur for a year for 2 of them and you get another activity. Mine are doing Multi on Mon & Weds and Football on Friday (very useful as there aren't many other activities for a Friday). There are a few other things to choose from for Tues & Thurs. Each subject costs 13 Eur per month per child but, covers 2 days. If you have very low earnings there are subsidies available for both comedor & activities.

If you need childcare from 5pm onwards then I would ask around as many of the mum's would be willing to help out or will know of somebody.

Let me know if you need any other information.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi Angie,

just wondering how you got on with the childcare problem, did you get something sorted out?

Diana.