Shocking tale of childbirth, Spanish style

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
dooby
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dooby » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:26 pm

I was shocked when I read this post a few weeks ago, NOW I am terrified as I have just found out that I am pregnant, what is ante-natal care like here? do they do the usual blood tests, scans etc? After my last child my consultant in the uk said I would have to have an elective C section at 38 weeks, my last two were both Cesarean, one emergency the other elective at 42 weeks, I have read that Spain has a high rate of Cesarean births, but what do I do?? stay here or go back to the UK?? Can't say the treatment I received in the UK last time was brilliant and if I go back I would be looking at a stay of 5-6 weeks which is not really ideal. I will see the doctor here tomorrow and hopefully she can explain some of the options here but any of your input would be really helpful

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:24 pm

i have sent you a pm...

Mrs_T
Tourist

Postby Mrs_T » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:14 pm

Knee op without pain relief??
Well, since I've been waiting 10yrs in the UK (since I was 15) for a knee operation despite having been told my MRI scans (which took long enough to get each time too) showed I needed an operation and having damaged my knee repeatedly and been on crutches for long periods of time.
I have another MRI next week and we'll see what happens.

But when I read that my initial reaction was that he was very lucky, he got his op at the same time! Right now, if it would fix my knee, I'd go through pain to get it sorted once and for all!!

bakeke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bakeke » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:33 pm

That is absolutely shocking! That poor girl. I just can't believe it. On a brighter note, I just wanted to say that I gave birth to both of my sons in Granada, and although (from what i've read and been told), it is way behind the UK in terms of pain relief (epidural was the only form of pain relief available - no gas and air, etc...), I had a very positive experience both times and would definitely have a third child there if the situation arises. There are no birth plans or water births. You can forget bringing in music, candles and the like. It is strictly on your back on the bed with legs in stirrups, but the midwives were friendly and professional and I felt well taken care of.

K x
Kelly

SunnyGuernsey
Tourist

Postby SunnyGuernsey » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:43 pm

Hi,
Sorry to move off the subject of childbirth, but after reading the postings on here I thought I would share the experience I had with my 18mth of son (flew back to the UK at 34 wks to give birth).

My young son then 18mths had to have a large lump removed from his leg, we were told that due to his age it would be done under a general anaesthetic and he mustn't eat or drink for the 12 hours prior to the op. In the August heat with a crying toddler we arrived at the hospital at the time given only to be asked to wait in a corridor with him 3 hours later , after being told the doctor was running late and my son crying bitterly for a drink, a nurse came out and just took him from my arms wailing with his arms outstretched to me. I stood there shocked and then became somewhat horrified when I was then told that they has taken him in to the operating theatre. I paced the floor for what seemed so long when eventually a nurse came out and said I was allowed into the recovery room to see him, What I saw made my blood run cold!

My 18mth Son was strapped arms and legs to a bed and screaming his head off, the Spanish doctor told me to "keep him quiet as he was disturbing the other patients". It turns out that as the surgeon was running late they decided to take a scalpel to his leg using a local only and strapping his leg with leather straps to the bed so he couldn't move it. I undid the straps and picked him up with a nurse shouting after me as I preceded to walk out of the hospital. The nurse came running out to me only to present me with the bill. We had kept him nil of mouth for nothing.

As soon as we got home my son still shaking and crying I called our doctor out to our home who checked him over and gave him a sedative.She was wonderful and couldn't believe what had happened, she came to our home to remove the stitches as there was no way I was taking him back to the hospital.

To this day he still has such a terrible fear of hospitals

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:18 pm

OMG What horrendous experience!

I've had one child treated very well in hospital here and another treated dreadfully. Luckily she was a teenager so we could rationalise the experience, but for a child the age of yours it's just unforgivably barbaric.

I've told my doctor that I will only return to the hospital concerned if it's for a post mortem and he now knows better than to even suggest it to me.
I really do feel for you and your son.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:47 pm

You poor thing that really is awful, I hope your son has recovered now, and you have too, you can't help blaming yourself when something happens to your children even though there is nothing you can do,

All the best :D

kareena
Tourist

Postby kareena » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:10 am

That is absolutly disgusting treatment. When we lived in Almeria my eldest (then aged 9) feel off his bike and put his teeth through his top lip. I won't go into details but he was held down by 4 nurses while the doctors put the stiches in (no anesthetic) it makes me cry just thinking about it. He is still terrified of hospitals now and had a dreadful scar.

But on a more positive note, I have had two children over here (in different hospitals) and have found hem to be on the whole very good experiences. If anyone whats any information please feel free to contact me.