Mums

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
HKM
Resident

Mums

Postby HKM » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi

I have been living near Granada for a few years now and was wondering if there are any other Mums out there who, would perhaps like to meet up for a coffee now and then. I have Spanish friends who have kids around my sons age but sometimes I crave for a good old gossip about Eastenders!

Anywhere from Loja to Alcala Real.

Cheers

H

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:30 pm

How old is your son? I have twin boys aged 3. Not in Spain at the moment but planning to be there in a couple of months, for 6 months, we are in the Loja area.

There was a parent/toddler thing going, a lot meet at the Congo play centre in Loja (run by English people). PM me for more information.

Zofia

bakeke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bakeke » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi H,

I have a 2 yr old and a 9 week old and am the owner of Congo, as mentioned by Zofia. We are holding a mums and tots (or just mums, in some cases!), get-together on thursday at 10.30am at Congo. We are hoping to do this every thursday. PM me for my phone number. We'd love to see you there.

K x
Kelly

Pirateprincess
Andalucia.com Amigo

Child benefit

Postby Pirateprincess » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:50 pm

Would you know if there is a spanish equivilent to the Irish/uk child benefit/allowence you know the one you get on a monthly basis no matter what you situation is......once you have a child or more.....if there is how do you get it and how much is it ......
LOUISE M

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:20 pm

There are no benefits available to parents unless your child is under 1 year (so I believe) also you cannot claim any benefits unless you have worked here OR have been claiming job seekers allowance in UK. You can only claim this for a short period however. It is a good system and stops all the sponging that the UK has. They will help you ONLY if you have helped and continue to help yourself first!

We have 4 kids all at school and get no help here. We manage (just) most of the time and have only one average wage coming in each month. life's tough-but, hey, mustn't grumble. :D
Donna

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:36 pm

There is a payment for large families 3 or more.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:14 pm

Silver, can you tell me more about the benefit for large families?

I have 3 children and my hubby and I will both be self employed (or he will be and I will be free labour!!). Do you know if we would be entitled or where we could find out about it?

Cheers :D

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

familia nurmerosa

Postby pilgrim » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:33 am

Familia Numerosa (spelling?) - for families with 3 children or more, but I understand that you have to be paying into the system here for at least a year before you qualify for any benifits, once you get this you will also get reductions on some school outings and cheaper enteries on to places like Isla magica - there is also a benifit for woman of the campo - something to do with being of a certain age with children and staying at home with them - suppose to be to stop families moving out of the small villages where there is little/seasonal work - well thats the case here in this part of Seville. My Spanish neighbour knows the system inside out!!!! My hubby works in UK so we get nothing from Spain or UK!!!!!!!!

dido72
Resident

Re: familia nurmerosa

Postby dido72 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:54 am

!!!! My hubby works in UK so we get nothing from Spain or UK!!!!!!!![/quote]

Bad luck with that!

Thanks for your advice pilgrim, I will look into both those...we can but try :?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:19 pm

Pilgrim wrote:
My hubby works in UK so we get nothing from Spain or UK!!!!!!!!
That hardly seems fair. :o

If your husband works in UK and presumably has a UK address and presumably pays NI in the UK then surely he should be entitled to claim child benefit. :?

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:32 pm

The child would have to be living at the UK address aswell

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:44 pm

Copied form the government website:-

Who is eligible
You may be eligible for Child Benefit if you're bringing up a child or young person who is:

under 16
16 - up to the 31 August following their 16th birthday, or up to 31 August if their 16th birthday falls on that date
16, 17 or 18 and in full- time further education, or has started a programme of approved training
16 or 17, has left full-time education or approved training, and registered with Connexions or the Careers Service (in Northern Ireland, the Department for Employment and Learning, or an Education and Library Board) for work, education or training
19, and in full-time further education, or approved training which started before their 19th birthday.
You do not need to be the parent of the child or young person to qualify, but you must be responsible for them. The child or young person does not need to live with you, but if they live with someone else you can only get Child Benefit if:

you pay money to bring up the child the amount you pay is the same as, or more than the weekly rate of Child Benefit you get for them
the person the child lives with is not getting Child Benefit for them.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:55 pm

well nothing is that simple for the UK, you speak to one person who says you are not and another says you may be......and on it goes for almost 18months now! Hubby has just filled in a form to claim CHB will keep you posted - hope they back date it :D