F 1 Abu Dhabi

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: F 1 Abu Dhabi

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:18 pm

They can still escalate the appeal to the FIA.

We will see, but for Verstappen it will always be a tainted victory.

Lewis will get his eighth victory next year. Red Bull will never match them without Honda.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:02 am

My OH watched the latter part of the race - she who always finds something else to do while it’s on. Her sage comment was how could Max feel any pride in his win?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:08 am

I doubt the people lining up to sponsor Verstappen will worry too much nor will Verstappen. I've been following Fi for decades and there are always controversies. I remember the old days when there used to be carnage and fatalities on the track but no one ever felt his title was not deserved just because a rival was killed or in hospital. Hamilton can come back next year BUT, and it's an unpopular BUT, in my opinion, any sport that is dominated by one person for years on end diminishes that sport. Look at what happened to tennis, for example.

Hamilton should have secured his championship races ago and not have left it to the last moment. Another unpopular thought.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:29 am

Good read in tthe Telegraph today and here is one bit:

"There is an easy temptation, given the acrimony around Verstappen’s snatching of a victory that looked for 57 laps like a lost cause, to portray his championship as somehow tainted. But this does him the gravest disservice. He won the most races this year, amassed the most pole positions, led the most laps, and was on the podium more times than any other driver in F1 history. If consistency is the defining virtue of a champion, then he delivered it in abundance. He also showed superlative race-craft to shade the last-lap shoot-out as Hamilton defended for all his worth."

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:46 am

El Cid wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:18 pm They can still escalate the appeal to the FIA.

We will see, but for Verstappen it will always be a tainted victory.

Lewis will get his eighth victory next year. Red Bull will never match them without Honda.

Sid
In a few years how it was won will be forgotten but his name will always be on the trophy. In my eyes LH was robbed.

The new engine factory in Milton Keynes looks very impressive from the road. They have invested heavily so there could be a surprise. The AMG Petronas factory at Brixworth is very impressive also.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:47 am

peteroldracer wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:02 am My OH watched the latter part of the race - she who always finds something else to do while it’s on. Her sage comment was how could Max feel any pride in his win?
His name is on the trophy, I doubt for a second he cares.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm

I think the Race Director was in a sticky situation to be fair. Had he insisted Hamilton give the place back on the first lap I'm thinking that race would have ended behind the safety car.

I also understand there's a pact between the teams to finish the race if at all possible and avoid it finishing behind the SC. The Race Director has authority to use the safety car as he deems fit which he did yesterday.

Mercs biggest blunder was not handing the place back, or at least giving the second back they gained, they should have done it there and then as they had the better car for this circuit.

Very difficult for him to penalize Red Bull twice.
I personally thought they should have thrown the red flag in and restarted on the grid for the last 5 laps, there'd be no arguments then from anyone, it's happened before.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:46 pm

I know it's just a fantasy but I would love to see Hamilton and Verstappen in a 2 car race on any f1 track in the world, level start, no safety cars and no interference unless absolutely necessary, I know it probably sounds dumb but I could almost guarantee it would be a huge money maker for the media/Tv companies so why not ?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:48 pm

Something else. The other lapped cars NOT allowed to pass the safety car were denied the chance to fight for a place in the top ten. If I was the team principle of Haas I would lodging a protest too.

Motoring press seem to be unanimous :

That Verstappen is a worthy champ.

That the rules are totally inconsistent

That Masi has not shone.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:05 pm

MASI has been sacked.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:57 pm

Not sacked but given another role. As reported in the Mirror "But the incident has seen Masi relieved of his duties, and instead offered another role within the FIA " . No doubt with a pay rise !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:08 am

Pushed to a backroom with a massive demotion. The fall guy but he messed up several times last season so had to go. Lots of rule changes re team principles and the FIA so in my opinion the FIA have admitted faults and LH was robbed.