Dementia

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Dementia

Postby olive » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:16 am

I thought I would do a post on dementia. We have had or got five family members who all lived well into their nineties and inevitably developed dementia. My dad is the last of them and was only diagnosed during a hospital visit connected with his heart 3 years ago. Since then his short term memory has worsened. There are plenty of resources on the internet on the subject.

One thing I found with my dad was his balance worsened. Having had a number of elderly relatives in good health, die as the direct result of a fall, I called the falls clinic for Scarborough and was astonished when someone came to the house during Covid lockdown. He was from New Zealand but working for the nhs and brought a sheet of exercises to improve balance that my Dad has done every day since. They take about 15 minutes. I recomend them to anyone with dodgy balance. They are a version of Otago which again is a New Zealand initiative. More info here . https://www.physio-pedia.com/Otago_Exercise_Programme

What brought this home to me was a few months ago, good friends in Cornwall had one diagnosed with dementia. My age!

It got me thinking what would we do if one of us was diagnosed too. What resources are there available here? I have just applied for the higher rate of attendance allowance for my dad and noticed that those of us here before Brexit do qualify to apply for this uk benefit. Good to know.

Our local village has a twice weekly but oversubscribed , women only, exercise class aimed at retired folk. OH says many of the exercises they are put through are similar to Otago. That is run by a professional and partly funded by the Ayantamiento.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dementia

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:30 am

Hi olive,
Thanks for Posting the Exercises............ I'v been recommended Brandt-Daroff exercises having picked some balance issues due to a ' winter' virus.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:36 pm

I meant to say that the transformation for my Dad, just doing 12 to 15 mins a day was very noticeable.

Had a look at those exercises. “ quickly ”! My doctor here advised getting up in a morning as follows. Wake up for 30 seconds, then sit up and wait 30 seconds and then stand up. Something to do with production or lack of Cortisol. Seems to work!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:00 pm

That's interesting olive as some years back I printed off some similar exercises that were mentioned in a BBC programme I think. I used to do a lot of dancing which helped me a lot but I don't do that now, and we both sometimes suffer from vertigo as well which makes us feel unsteady.

I had an ankle injury a few years back and bought a balance board (like half a football with a flat top to stand on). I've been rather remiss at keeping at the exercises, but could in the end stand on one leg on it without holding on. It's certainly a good idea even when you not yet 80+ (or even a lot less) to try to strengthen your body and balancing skills. As you say, so many elderly people fall and break hips etc. I'm glad it is helping your dad.

Katy Again
Tourist

Postby Katy Again » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:41 pm

Excursuses very useful but have nothing to do with preventing dementia.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:26 pm

?might it be that dementia occurs when people feel useless, unable to do the things they used to do, marginalised, dependent ... can no longer do the activities which gave them a sense of their identity, independence, contributing in some way ... ???

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:11 pm

I find your comments rather strange.
Do you have any personal knowledge of people who are actually suffering from dementia?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:16 pm

yes, I do have both personal and professional experience of people suffering from dementia ... it happened to my mother ... when she could no longer cook for the family ... and I met similar people when I was working ...especially with the Carers Network Westminster in the 90s ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:12 pm

I've read that being deaf is a contributing factor too as people end up isolated from conversations and from what's going on around them etc. My MiL was very deaf and did end up having dementia for a number of years. My hearing isn't good and is a concern, knowing the link.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:05 pm

I believe the most common types of dementia are Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia.
Alzheimer's is a disease and vascular dementia is a result of by brain damage usually caused by a blood clot in part of the brain.
If you want to read up more about types of dementia and their causes, then have a look at https://www.dementia.org.au/information ... f-dementia
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:26 pm

gerryh ... what you are describing is the physical/medical manisfestations of dementia ... I would suggest that we know very little about the interaction between mind and body ... stress/anxiety/fear are often manifest in physical conditions ...like chicken and egg, which comes first?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:18 pm

Interesting post Olive, Thank you.
My wife goes to our local Pensioners group each week for dance exercise ,at least an hour and it really helps her , she couldn't go for about 3 weeks because of a severe allergy cough and I noticed the difference, this week she attended and seemed much happier.
We also go to the pensioners dance each week, I dance with her quite a bit and she dances with the other ladies while I'm chatting with the other codgers, again she always seems more 'with it ' after physical and mental execise.
We also started Bingo this week , the first few games she wasn't really interested but then suddenly got going and enjoyed it very much, I won twice , by the way, certainly not life changing amounts but the event was good fun.
We try to go out every day and this week even attended a 'historical presentation', for me really but again Pauline enjoyed the social activity.
Many years ago I was involved with teaching occupational therapy, for the Social services, and I was always amazed at the good response from some very elderly people, keeping active both mentally and physically is so important for all ages in my opinion.

Katy Again
Tourist

Postby Katy Again » Mon May 01, 2023 11:44 am

gerryh wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:11 pm I find your comments rather strange.
Do you have any personal knowledge of people who are actually suffering from dementia?
Cheers
Gerry
My Husband has been diagnosed with dementia. He was/is very fit otherwise. Played golf 3 times a week, lots of gardening. Active socially too. Doesn’t look his age. Just his brain has gone. They lose all sense of time, started to go to bed really early when dark evenings came etc. he wears a watch but he cannot tell the time anymore. He is now in residential care as I couldn’t cope anymore.
Many seem to have the perception that those with dementia just sit around gaga but many are hyperactive and do not have balance problems.Seems to be heredity too as his Mother and sister had it. Anyone who wants to know more read posts on the Alzheimer’s forum where those caring for partners post.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 19, 2023 4:03 pm

Here is an interesting article on local support groups in Andalucia

https://www.surinenglish.com/malaga/sup ... 42-nt.html