S1 question

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
casita-bonita
Resident

Re: S1 question

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:50 pm

Oops.. Couldn't see delete post button
Last edited by casita-bonita on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:55 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:02 pm The EHIC is for UK residents travelling in Europe, the GHIC for Spanish residents going to other EU countries. As a UK pensioner with an S1 you are entitled to NHS treatment if you visit the UK - when we go I register as a visitor with a practice local to where we stay, and get any treatment and prescriptions free based on my list from Spain, though there can be shortages of e.g. insulin there so I try to take enough meds for my trip.
Not quite true. You can apply for GHIC or new EHIC. The latter covers a few more countries. Having registered our S1s we applied for EHICs. They turned up a couple of weeks ago.

From NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/health ... card-ghic/

If you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, you can choose to apply for a new UK EHIC instead.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:41 am

Useful information and links, thanks.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:53 am

Despite the hassle of claiming for my pension, I was surprised to have an email today from the NHS with a link to claiming online my S1 certificate. It isn't valid until my birthday, but I already have it downloaded and ready now to apply to the INSS. I was rather surprised at how efficient this was!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:19 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:53 am Despite the hassle of claiming for my pension, I was surprised to have an email today from the NHS with a link to claiming online my S1 certificate. It isn't valid until my birthday, but I already have it downloaded and ready now to apply to the INSS. I was rather surprised at how efficient this was!
Once your S1 is registered here in Spain you can apply for your EHIC, but not berore. The application can be made online and the card arrived after a couple of weeks.

If you try to apply before S1 registration you will win an error message saying that your S1 isn't registered. Then when you reapply after your S1 is registered you'll win another error message saying tjat you have previously applied for an EHIC. Easily sorted by a couple of emails, but unnecessary hassle.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:30 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:19 pm If you try to apply before S1 registration you will win an error message saying that your S1 isn't registered. Then when you reapply after your S1 is registered you'll win another error message saying that you have previously applied for an EHIC. Easily sorted by a couple of emails, but unnecessary hassle.
Yes I discovered that as I thought I'd have a look at the registration process for the EHIC this morning :think: Not a problem, it's only for when we travel outside of Spain and we've managed OK without it so far. We will not be going back to the UK much now, which I think you also need it for, so it's not urgent.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:42 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:30 pm

Yes I discovered that as I thought I'd have a look at the registration process for the EHIC this morning :think: Not a problem, it's only for when we travel outside of Spain and we've managed OK without it so far. We will not be going back to the UK much now, which I think you also need it for, so it's not urgent.
As you were resident in Spain before the end of the Brexit transition period, your entitlement to NHS treatment when in the UK is linked to your S1 not the EHIC, therefore you will need to take a copy of your S1 (once registered) with you when visiting.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare- ... -in-the-uk

By the way, many people say it is impossible to get appointments at the INSS office to register an S1. I can only say that I did so twice, in July and September 2022. I made one in anticipation of my S1 arriving, then when it did there was an error on it and I had to request a replacement so I cancelled the INSS appointment, and when the corrected version arrived I made a new appointment. I found that if I went onto the INSS website at 9.00 am each day there were usually a very small number of appointments showing available in 7 days' time, which got taken up very quickly.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:07 pm

Free at Last wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:42 pm
Wicksey wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:30 pm
By the way, many people say it is impossible to get appointments at the INSS office to register an S1. I can only say that I did so twice, in July and September 2022. I made one in anticipation of my S1 arriving, then when it did there was an error on it and I had to request a replacement so I cancelled the INSS appointment, and when the corrected version arrived I made a new appointment. I found that if I went onto the INSS website at 9.00 am each day there were usually a very small number of appointments showing available in 7 days' time, which got taken up very quickly.

Employed a gestor to register ours. Simple and stress free, well worth tje few euros it cost. .
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:28 pm

You can do it all online which looks pretty straightforward
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/register-yo ... ain-online

Presumably the fact I am already registered with the centro de salud and have a health card makes no difference? Do they just send you a replacement card in that case?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:03 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:28 pm You can do it all online which looks pretty straightforward

Presumably the fact I am already registered with the centro de salud and have a health card makes no difference? Do they just send you a replacement card in that case?
Indeed you can, but nothing involving spanish bureaucracy is straight forward. Hence i used a gestir. Which as it happened turned out to be a wise move..

We didn't get a new health card once registered.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:52 am

I've managed to do a lot online myself like apply and obtain both of our TIEs and change over my driving licence from English to Spanish and it was easier than going to the offices with piles of paperwork. Everything can be uploaded and so I will certainly try that first. I would rather do things online myself if I can. (I think firsttango said earlier that they applied online although I didn't hear of the outcome.)

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:54 am

Wicksey wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:28 pm You can do it all online which looks pretty straightforward

As I said earlier in the thread, when I registered a new S1 in my own name (having been covered as my husband's dependent for several years so I already had a health card), I was told that I would receive a new document confirming my entitlement to public health assistance through the post in approximately two weeks' time (which is exactly what happened) and that I did not need to do anything with that but should retain it for my records - eg no need to take it to the health centre and register it there. My existing health card would remain valid - which it has, I have used it as recently as 3 weeks ago.

Personally I find that an advantage of going in person to INSS (or any public office, for that matter) is that not only can I explain my situation but I also have the opportunity to ask questions about what happens next and what documents I can expect to receive, but also they can check the documents I am submitting there and then and resolve any queries they may have.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:18 am

peteroldracer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:02 pm The EHIC is for UK residents travelling in Europe, the GHIC for Spanish residents going to other EU countries. As a UK pensioner with an S1 you are entitled to NHS treatment if you visit the UK - when we go I register as a visitor with a practice local to where we stay, and get any treatment and prescriptions free based on my list from Spain, though there can be shortages of e.g. insulin there so I try to take enough meds for my trip.
Err nope. As a Spanish resudent you can apply for and be issued an EHIC. Depends when you gained spanish residency... We had a choice of EHIC or GHIC. Went for ehic as it covers a couple of additional countries.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:39 pm

We obtained our health cover here in 2017 as we were tax residents in 2012 and were allowed to apply. It seemed to be a special arrangement at that time for us to be able to access the NHS here as previously we had been told we couldn't as we were not pensioners and had never worked here. We shall see how or if registering under the S1 will affect us.

There is more info here about the EHIC/GHIC cards and we have the choice of which one to have
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/health ... card-ghic/

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:03 pm

Wicksey wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:39 pm We obtained our health cover here in 2017 as we were tax residents in 2012 and were allowed to apply. It seemed to be a special arrangement at that time for us to be able to access the NHS here as previously we had been told we couldn't as we were not pensioners and had never worked here. We shall see how or if registering under the S1 will affect us.

There is more info here about the EHIC/GHIC cards and we have the choice of which one to have
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/health ... card-ghic/
We were in the same position as you. Resident prior to 2012 and as a result on the health service.. It was working fine so we were reluctant to reguster our S1s given the Spanish bureaucracy's ability to screw thing up and we would be left without cover.. However we did worry that at some point they would realise that we are UK pensioners and therefore the UK should be paying our medical costs and so cancel our cards.

After 18 months or so of not registering our S1s i received an email from UK NHS saying that my S1 hadn't been registered and that it would be withdrawn if it wasn't registered by some deadline.

After that we bit the bullet and fearing that already having a spanish medical card would complicate things we got a gestor to do it. Took a few weeks, christmas did get in the way until registration was complete. We weren't issued new cards. I guess it's just an administrative box checking exercise somewhere..

There was an issue later which the gestor sorted out in a couple of hours. Whereas i wouldn't have had a clue what to do to correct the problem.

The only change we've noticed is that my wife's cholesterol pills have gone down from 13e per month to 3e per month.
Regards

Bob