any hair and skin beauty tips for living in spain!

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

any hair and skin beauty tips for living in spain!

Postby princess peach » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:04 pm

the climate here is very different to the UK(thankfully :lol: )
what hair and skin tips do you have that you would like to share with us all!

I will start:
hair:

If you do not have any protection for your hair whilst on the beach-use your sun cream on it.and wash out afterwards-you may stuggle a little with oil-i would recommend just using creams.. 8)

No matter how long you leave a normal conditioner on your hair-it will do exactly the same as if it was left on for 2 seconds-they are not designed to penetrate thru the cuticle of the hair like intesnsive treatments-they are designed to lay your cuticles flat only-thus creating smooth hair(think of your cuticles as roof tiles-when hair is dry and damaged they stick up-when its smooth and soft they lie flat like a roof tile should be)

Head and shoulders/vosene and any anti dandruff shampoo will all strip your hair of colour(the sun is bad enough).they are nasty shampoos.the best remedy for anti dandruff is T gel.all supermarket anti dandruff shampoos do-is strip the top layer of your scalp and colour(the dandruffy bits will be gone for a few days,but it will always come back.you need to massage the scalp to produce the oils and use T gel(beautiful product)
when i worked in a salon we used to refuse anyone perms or colours that had been using any two in one shampoos-perms dont take too well,and colours certainly dont.its horrible stuff,that leaves your hair feeling coated with product.

and last one-If you are a regular user of hair wax(which will also protect your hair from damage)-never ever put water on first when you come to wash the product out-the wax creates a film which water is unable to penetrate thru(like when a duck gets wet)to remove the wax you need to put the shampoo on dry hair,shampoo it in well,then rinse with warm water and wash as normal-the wax film will then be gone! :D

hope this has been of help to someone!
look forward to reading anyone elses tips. :D

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks princesspeach....liked the one about sun cream on the beach for hair protection. Will use this one.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks for that.

I have very long straight black hair but when I am in Spain, after a couple of days it is wavy and a few days following that, definately curly! Why is that?

By the by I work with a girl who was losing a lot of hair and she went to her G.P. and he asked if she was using Tresemme products which she was and he advised her that she was the fourth person who had reported that problem using that product.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:44 pm

annie_d wrote:I have very long straight black hair but when I am in Spain, after a couple of days it is wavy and a few days following that, definately curly! Why is that?
Heat/humidity?

Taking into account I'm male I'd wait for PP to give a more informed opinion.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Another good produce for dandruff/seborreic dermatitis is Nizoral Shampoo. It is now available from the chemists (UK only) and costs about ten pounds for a small bottle...but works wonders! And more importantly, doesn´t strip your hair of the colour!

This wind is playing havoc with my hair! It is long and wavy...and now, also very knotty! Any tips on how to keep hair de-tangled in this windy weather?
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:38 pm

I used to have a terribly irritated & flaky scalp. I tried many of the different shampoos, none of which made any difference, and I eventually found that a last rinse with rosemary water (either steep fresh rosemary in boiling water until luke warm, or add 4-6 drops of rosemary essential oil to a litre of luke warm water) did the trick for me. Also made my hair shiny and less static :D

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Karandjon. I had that problem (also i sometimes, often! don't brush my hair) and my husband bought me a tangle teaser brush and it is BRILLIANT! Works beautifully

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:25 pm

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks so much Annie! Looks fab! Will do the job nicely, i reckon! :lol:
Cheers

Karen

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:35 pm

I thought, "no chance" when my husband gave it to me but it really does the job beautifully.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:39 pm

Thats cheered me up no end Annie, as over the past few weeks, working in the garden in the wind, it gets really knotty! I thought i was gonna have to have it all cut off! :cry: The wind has made it feel very dry too, although i use some avon products on it, it hasnt made any difference. this is very unusual for me, but i have let my hair grow a lot longer than usual! :lol:

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:42 pm

I will have to get one of those as mine is long thick and curly, I can't brush it when it's dry as it goes so frizzy and ends up almost as wide as it is long so it's always REALLY knotty!!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Let me know how you get on girls.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:23 am

annie_d wrote:
I have very long straight black hair but when I am in Spain, after a couple of days it is wavy and a few days following that, definately curly! Why is that?
annie_d Griff is totally correct,it is the heat and humidity here..even my poker straight hair goes kinky and furry with the humidity...nothing you can do about that. :cry:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 am

another good product for knots,and also for using on babies cotters-is the spray on shine(any make)this is excellent for removing knots...

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Thankyou pp. Curly hair it is then, when in Spain.
The thing with the spary on shine stuff is that i have to use so much of it to get through the knots that my hair ends up looking greasy.

c_mego
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby c_mego » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:45 pm

The thing with the spary on shine stuff is that i have to use so much of it to get through the knots that my hair ends up looking greasy.

Annie, if your talking about the shine you add to dry hair, just spray it in the palm of your hand and rub together to warm it and work it through your smooth or scrunch on for curly hair.

Tip for hands: Use regular cooking oil (vegetable) and warm in the microwave for a minute (don't make it too hot, just warm) and stick your fingers in to soak (5 min or so) towel off a little and rub the oil massaging your cuticles and pushing them back. You are ready to give yourself a file and buff.
Doing this with a friend (and a glass of wine...ahem or two) can feel even more like pampering. ***** Remember not to share nail files though, please.
Life's a journey not a destination.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:02 pm

It's MAGIC.....how does it do that???? The tangle teaser I mean, I tried it on my daughters hair and she said wow mummy it doesn't hurt! I thought it's got no chance with my hair but it works!!!!! It only takes me seconds to brush my hair now....amazing!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sat May 03, 2008 9:15 pm

I know! It really is magic. I have the knottiest hair in the world and this just takes about 6 brushes and my hair is knot-free

timzony
Tourist

Postby timzony » Wed May 07, 2008 7:31 pm

A really good tip is to put a big blob of mayonnaise on your hair after washing, leave it for about 30 minutes, then wash off as normal in COLD water. (Hot would cook the egg element!) This leave your hair feeling silky soft and very shiny! A great tip given to me by Micheal of Panache Hair & Beauty of Alhaurin.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder