Wasp Stings

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Wasp Stings

Postby country boy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:41 pm

:cry: I was stung on the knee by a wasp yesterday and my leg has swollen up like a balloon. It looks a lot worse than it feels, although it is starting to itch :twisted: I never used to swell up like this after being stung but this is the second time I have reacted this way recently. My question is: Does anyone else react like this, and have they any remedies that have proved sucessful. As my dear wife says...it's alright when it goes like that on your leg, but what happens if it is somewhere vital :shock:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:06 pm

I suffer adversely from wasp stings and as soon as I get stung I take a Polaramine antihistamine tablet made by Schering-Plough. They come in 2mg or 6mg doses.

La Raya
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby La Raya » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:19 pm

We find Antihistamine cream (roll-on) applied quickly to the sting area, has an almost immediate effect. Always have a stick roll-on in my pocket when I'm cutting hedges as I usually disturb the odd nest. :o

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:16 pm

If the wasp sting makes anything swell up, let me know where I can get a very stroppy wasp, I have an idea that will delight my OH, assuming I can putup with the itching. :shock: :lol: :wink:
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:31 pm

You have my sympathies, Countryboy, join the club.
The swelling hurts like heck and you can't bend your leg/arm properly can you ?
I have to take Polaramine 6 mg twice per day and 1 Alerlisin at night.
I have very bad reactions to wasps and bees, but like you, didn't always react in this way to them.
Fortunately, only arms and legs stung so farand the wasps here are the gentle variety, not out for a deliberate kill. I always wear an anti insect spray before I go out or garden in the vain hope it will repel them.
The only trouble I find with the medicine now is that I am out of action completely for 24hrs because they make me go to sleep all day.
My medicines make the swellings go down but I am far more dopey than usual ! :lol:
Doc says I have to be very careful if I start getting breathless or wheezy with a sting in the wrong place ie near neck, face and go straight to hospital with a bad one.
My poor old mum was the same funnily enough ( worse ) and so is my daughter - can it be heriditary ? Anyone in your family with same ?

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:43 pm

The first twice I was stung by wasps I ended up at the doctors where I was given an injection, but now I don’t seem to react so bad, maybe I’m building up a resistance?

gretch

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Without any prejudice to people on here when it comes to personal health (i.e something quite important) I'd consult a doctor.

Don

Postby Don » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Indeed griff, I concur.
Countryboy, you say your leg has ballooned. Is it really your leg or just the knee. I was bitten on the knee by a spider and it ballooned up very painfully and it needed urgent antibiotics to deal with the infection. Check your temperature and if it is way up, get to urgencias pronto. In my case by the time I got to urgencias the poison was getting going and I passed out while waiting with a core temperature of 40 which predictably alarmed the urgencia doctors. If core temp is not rising then antihistamine is a pretty good thing to take for any sting or bite.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Well Guys and Gals, Thanks for all the input. I'm glad to say that the swelling is just now beginning to subside but Anis you are so right; my leg, from above the knee to mid foot was swollen as tight as a drum, and extremely painful, it didn't like being walked on and ice packs seemed to make it worse. As for the itching, I am beginning to fantasize about the dog's grooming mitt :oops:
I'm off to the Farmacia tomorrow AM to get some Polaramine to keep in the cupboard for the next time.
I really think it could be dodgey if you got stung around your airways...gulp!
Alaninspain...if you want a throbbing itch, a wasp in your pants will cure you ...trust me :P

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:47 am

I got stung whilst on the beach the other day on the foot and my foot came up like a football. I took some anti-histamine tablets and put my foot in a bowl of cool water. My foot turned a lived scarlet colour, but it went down after 5 days. I still have the scar (a round puncture mark) where the sting went in though.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:27 pm

That sounds like a painful one, Patricia. Must have been pretty bad to leave a scar. I have never had a scar from a wasp or bee yet and don't want one either.
I have a scar on the calf from a horsefly that attacked me whilst trying to rescue the wretched sickly feral kitten a couple of months ago. Those horseflies are worse than wasps - it chased me three times - biting, taking lumps out of me. To add insult to injury, the kitten bit right through my nail too.
The kitty is OK by the way still ( taken up enforced residence from bedroom to lounge now permanently, as advised on here) and my mad dog is still trying to chase it, but the kitty has learned to stand up to the dog and spits at it like mad and holds her ground.
Brave little scrap that deserves a decent life :D . Sorry to drift.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:03 pm

Well I presumed it was a wasp. I was reading my book and felt something crawling on my foot so I wiggled my foot thinking it was a fly and the next thing I felt was this eye watering piercing pain and as I was near a rubbish bin I presumed that was what it was. Yes I have a scar where the sting went in and a round white ring around the sting :? It must have been a large sting.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:46 pm

Patricia, I hope you didn't think I was inferring wasps etc don't scar - I wouldn't be so presumptious or arrogant.
Sorry if it sounded so, I really did not mean that at all... it's hard to try convey a point across, just writing it as opposed to conversation, with facial expression and so on, hope you did not take offence, none was intended.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:01 pm

There seem to be more wasps around in these parts this year - much more than last year. The Town Hall are coming to fumigate on Wednesday.

The locals around here swear by a home made remedy - mud and vinegar mixed and slap it on the affected part. It seems to work.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:18 pm

:( I've got a scar Patricia, with a white centre. Damaged goods :lol:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Phew thats a relief :lol: No I was wondering if it could have been some other insect as I didnt see it and I must admit I have never ever seen a wasp on the beach before, never mind being stung by one, but I did notice the rubbish bin although it was some way away, but still I now dont go near a rubbish bin when I go on the beach 8). I was also thinking thank goodness it did not sting me anywhere else (such as my face or me neck) and that it obviously liked the aroma of my feet :P