A word of warning - health

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

A word of warning - health

Postby Raquel » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi Everyone

This may seem like an obvious warning but I feel its my duty to post -

Like many people living in Spain during my six years I worried more about money, housing, schooling etc than my own health. I registered with private care but couldn't continue the payments again letting stuff slide.

During the six years I lived there I didn't have a smear test, it was one of those things I knew I should do, but there was always something else to be done.

Anyway recently I did finally go for a routine smear and it came back with abnormal results. I was referred to the colposcopy clinic when it was realised that I had severe pre-cancerous cells. I was treated for it but spent the last two weeks agonising over the results. I am very fortunate to say I was given the all clear yesterday. I have to return in six months for a further tests and then annually for ten years. If left any longer it may have turned cancerous, if I had continued regular smears whilst living in Spain they may have caught it earlier.

Anyway I'm thankful and very lucky, just want to remind any ladies out there who are overdue a smear please go and get one done.

xx

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: A word of warning - health

Postby Kathy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:36 pm

The final integration step for ex pat women in Spain always seem to be the Dentist and the Gynecologist.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:43 pm

So glad to hear that you've had the ok.
If anyone has Sanitas private health care, a reminder that they carry out health assessments inc. gynaecological, cardiological and urological. You only have to pay (depending on your cover) the one off consultation fee, for which you are billed quarterly, nothing at the clinic itself. I'm off to the Sanitas Millenium Health Centre in Sevilla next month for mine.
More info here
http://www.sanitas.es/sanitas/insurance ... ssessments

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks for the info Hillbilly and delighted you got the Ok Raquel

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Thank you both, it is a relief.

And thanks hillbilly for posting the link, this will be helpful to woman out there who need to keep up thier healthchecks.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Is it not true that these kindly, caring companies will quickly decide that you are not covered if they find anything on a health check - a "pre-existing condition"?
I know that the company covering a horse I owned years ago paid for the tests, but when petal ostiosis was diagnosed by the tests they then changed the cover to exclude it! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:21 am

After 5 years of being here,i too have just had a smear done,and im waiting on the results.I always went when i shouldve done in UK,but like you Raquel have let it slide(very bad)since living in Spain.
Good advice from you for all the ladies. :wink:
Glad you have been given the o.k too. :D

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:02 pm

but when petal ostiosis was diagnosed by the tests they then changed the cover to exclude it!
Yes, same thing happened to me with one of my home-breds.....discovered a 'problem' with the fetlock joint...roughening etc...and then excluded anything including and below it!!!!! (PS..did you mean pedal osteitis???!!! :wink: )
I'm still trying to decide whether the outlay is worth it for private healthcare here...yes, I know I know...aka as sticking my head in the sand and praying that I don't have any serious problems.....very 'grown-up'...not!!! But what to do for the best???
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:39 pm

I had severe pre-cancerous cells 20 years ago and had a cone biopsy which severely reduced my cervix (managed to carry twins to 32 weeks since then, quite an achievment!) and had to have smear tests every year for 10 years, and then every 2 years. I am due one now, but keep puttin git off. I don't have private Health cover, have a normal health card. so don't have to pay. All the more reason to get one done.

Thanks for the nudge, I WILL make an appointment SOON!

Glad your results were ok.
Finally really and properly living in Andalucia.

mantequilla
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mantequilla » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:40 am

Hi Raquel,

Glad to hear you are OK. I know exactly what you mean, I´ve left it a few years as well. We must all be quite nervous I guess.

x

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:16 am

I was diagnosed with endo-cervical cancer last year and had to have a radical hysterectomy followed by some chemo and radiotherapy. This could not be picked up by PAP smears. You don't want to go through this if you can avoid so can I add my voice to those who urge all you ladies to have regular smear tests. Most gyno cancers can be cured if they are detected early. Go and make your appointment now.

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:26 am

I have just had one done on the Spanish Health System, well I had one in late Sept that came back inconclusive so I had to have another, which thankfully was fine...

The results were back in 2 weeks... Both times...

And I was told by the doctor that they are done annually here in Spain...

I have some other 'womans' problems and last week was given an appointment with a Gyne in Granada a non urgent appointment, is in 2 weeks time so I can't complain...

Glad all that have had problems are 'on the mend' so to speak..

Watching the UK news last night they were reporting on 2 young woman who had been having problems and had repeatedly requested smear tests, they were refused because they were too young, they were both early twenties.. Both had young children, and now sadly both passed away after cervical cancer was eventually found too late...