Sierra Nevada

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
pentaqua-new
Resident

Re: Sierra Nevada

Postby pentaqua-new » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Ulli

I guess that Tuesday will be relatively quiet? If so, would a 10am'ish arrival be in order? I guess that the approach road is clear and chains won't be necessary?

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:25 pm

I have just come off the piste (have to pop down to the coast) and there is "not a soul" about. No waiting times in lines for lifts etc and so much space in the pistes it is a dream. I think it will be the same tomorrow.
Roads are clear and snow is fabulous!
F?dd i Sverige men med Guds hj?lp Sk?ning :)

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:50 pm

Well we braved in yesterday (Sunday), still a huge queue but no road blocks. We left at 7.30, got there at 9, carpark closed!! However we did manage to park in the car park at the top of the village (Nieves?) and got the bus down. Apart from Borreguiles it wasn't crowded. And we had a lovely day's skiing.
Finally really and properly living in Andalucia.

muneca
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby muneca » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi Ulli

Do you have any recommendations for accomodation for 2 (this friday & saturday). the usual place we stay at in monachil is full and i cant find any offers on the SN website under 100 euros

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:15 am

If there is nothing on the SN website then that means there are few rooms available. Have tried Hotel Telecabina? Apart from that the offers on SN might include other perks like forfait and half board so make sure you check that.

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Hy, Ulli, I'm just curious (nosy!) but what do you do there? Are you a ski instructor?

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Well done Zofia :lol: I've been DYING to ask that for ages :lol: I'd also love to know what the bit at the bottom of her posts says in Swedish I think?
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Oh no someone has finally asked me :lol:
No I am not a ski instructor, which means I am impartial when I recommend schools etc lol.
I am, ahem, the local ski bunny ...?...! Will that do for you? :lol: (international woman of mystery here)
As for what it says on the bottom of my page, yes Chrissie it is indeed Swedish and is tounge in cheek for someone who is Swedish, not that I think I'd find many on here :lol: , and for others really wouldn't mean anything... :( It says "born in Sweden but with the help of God "Skåning" " which is a person from the very very south of Sweden. Not so funny if you don't anyone from Skåne :? but quite funny if you do...

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Thank you so much for that Ulli (aka Ski Bunny!)Image

I wonder if there are any Britons on here who write Swedish as well as you write English :lol:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:51 am

:lol: you guys are funny :lol:

As for skibunny maybe that was a wrong choice of words :? Perhaps my answer to your question of what I do in Sierra Nevada should be "I ski" 8) Well I attempt to anyway, some people would probably call it throwing yourself down the piste hoping for the best :lol:

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:08 am

So I have finally made my way back up here after the horrendous accident on Monday, to say that we are in a state of shock is understatement!
What meets me when I get here... loads and loads and loads of more snow. Yes it seems that when I was away the weather gods took their opportunity to refill where there were icy bits coming out and we are again a snowy paradise (on the outside).
Today it is very windy so I have decided not to go up skiing and also the amount of snow from the last few days means that have not finished preparing all the pistes. However I will say that from my livingroom window I can see most of the mountain and it looks stunning!!!
For those worried about the lifts, and I can say that I was very hesitatnt in my decision to come back, this time it is not only Cetursa doing the checks on all the lifts but also the guardia civil and somone else which is the body that deals with these kinds of things. I find it very hard to believe, mind you we all know where we live.., that this time they will be able to sweep it under carpet and not own up to faults etc which in an ideal world would mean that at this point in time this would be the safest place in the world to ski... but then again...
Personally I don't know what to think but I will be out and about today catching up on all the news and "gossip" here and then I will make my own opinion...

I am planning on skiing tomorrow so I will come back then with more news and report on piste conditions too.

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:13 am

I've been in Ireland all week - what's with "the accident"?

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:40 am

Hi,
Katy gave us a heads up on it see link.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19159

and more info from Ulli

J

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:50 am

you can find info on most news websites, I think sur in english too but here is "one version" http://www.expatica.com/es/news/local_n ... es-23.html

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm

I am coming out at the end of March.

Do you think there will still be skiing or toboganing in the first two weeks of April?

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Well I can say that so far in my previous 3 seasons here we have never closed before the end of April and considering that we have about 3m more snow this year I think you will be fine.
Actually from what I understand tehre is talk that they will extend this year's season to mid May offering half day ski passes for the morning since the afternoon snow isn't all that good in May :lol:

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:39 am

Ulli, can you let me know if it is still as busy at weekends as it was in February? We want to ski on Sunday, but getting up at 6.30 to get there at 8 makes the children (and us!!) too tired to ski! Are the carparks still full by 8.30? We really would prefer to come mid-morning, but also don't want to spend half the day in traffic queues. What's the situation now?

Mark Smith
Tourist

Postby Mark Smith » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi there, myself and my family (including a toddler just under 3 years old) are visiting Spain again this week and are planning a visit to the Sierra Nevada. We visited last year in early March and unfortunately there was no snow at the time, but this time I understand we have a much better chance/

I would like some advise on if there are any suitable places to play in the snow, too young for skiing but maybe something like tobogoning (or dog sledding?) and just areas to play together in the snow. Could somebody please point us in the right direction we would appreciate it, so far we plan to visit on Thursday for the day and parking in the underground car park - could anybody help with more advice?

Thanks in advance

Mark, Sharon & Aron

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi Mark,
On one of our trips up to Pradallano, within site of the underground car park there is a sharp turning off to the LEFT we followed that road round to Hoya de la Mora where we parked and people were
hiring out all kinds of kit, we tobogganed there. Saw some Huskies walking but not pulling.
Hopfully Ulli will come on and give more info.
Have you checked out the webcams

http://www.sierranevadaski.com/En%20Pis ... 0A%20M%20S
Last edited by Jennifer on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Smith
Tourist

Postby Mark Smith » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks Jennifer, I have been checking out the webcam and I am a little concerned as the snow does appear to be melting a little and all the forecasts I can find are not forecasting snow! I will take a look at Hoya de la Mora and see what I can find if the weather is favourable!

Appreciate your suggestion.

Mark