Sierra Nevada

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Sierra Nevada

Postby Ulli » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:42 am

hello all.

Current piste conditions are:
9am very very hard snow, by 10 it has started softening up and the very last bit of the Rio (the piste that takes you to the bottom of the mountain) is perfect, by 11 the last bit is proper spring snow but the other lower pistes are hitting perfect. So, all in all I guess one could say "varying conditions" :lol:

We still have loads and loads of snow. We have more pistes open than ever, as a matter of fact there are so many that we have found that they don't have time to press some to perfection during the night as we are used to them doing but those are very few. As for the depth of snow I can tell you that in the borreguiles area there is still a house that is completely under snow and the only way you know it's there is because they have put some fencing around the roof (which is covered but you can see a small bump) so we don't ski over it. I think the official depth at the deepest point is 5m...

Zofia - Last weekend on Sunday it was very empty as a matter of fact but that could also be because it was a "puente" so people decided to leave earlier. I can't guarantee but it seems to be slowing down bit. Right there now it is virtually empty...

Mark - we don't actually have any dog sledding (as far as I know :? ) and the Huskies seen out and about are most probably Kiera and her "friend", they belong to one of the shop owners there. Very nice dogs but I doubt that they could pull a sledge (they love playing too much :lol: ). Playing in the snow, well that is a hard one... there are some areas but they tend to get really full. There is an aerea called Mirlo where they have skating and innertubes on snow and trineo, I don't know the word for it in English sorry, it's a kind of a "rollercoaster" but no big drops or anything it and I took my friend's 3 year old on that last year.
I will however say that if you go up the mountain there is an area up and to the right of the Al Andaluz cabin lift, just above the beginners' flat bit, by the "snow garden" where you can play to your hearts' content. It will be a bit hard in the morning and unfortunately since I don't spend any time there I couldn't tell you when it gets soft.
I hope this helps maybe a little

Finally for the forecasts, if you have a looks at the ones I have suggested in previous posts they are all suggesting snow in the coming days, not that we need more snow but it might be good to know :lol: (thursday looks good though...)http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Si ... a/6day/mid http://www.sierranevada.es/En%20Pista/Meteorología

I hope I have answered everything, if not please remind me and if there is anything else feel free to ask :)
F?dd i Sverige men med Guds hj?lp Sk?ning :)

Jennifer
Resident

Re: Sierra Nevada

Postby Jennifer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:23 am

Hi,
Thanks for the update Ulli.
I've edited my previous post ...as the road is off to the LEFT . turning right will take you straight down the mountain side :oops:
The only other dogsledding is in another resort ( Puerto de la Ragua ) some distance from Pradallano if the website is up todate.
If you have Google Earth (version 5) you can see the layout of Pradallano and the surrounding areas.
Shows the roads clearly, if you turn "photos" on you can get a feel for what is there.