Fly Fishing

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Design Guru
Andalucia.com Amigo

Fly Fishing

Postby Design Guru » Sat May 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Has anyone been fly fishing in the Malaga region? I'm keen to have a go and could do with a bit of advice.
Are there any places to learn fly casting in the area anyone knows of? English or Spanish.
I know there's Trout fishing at Rio Frio but can't find out much on the web about it.
Maybe Ken knows?

Cheers

ken2
Resident

Re: Fly Fishing

Postby ken2 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Sorry, i know about as much as you as to where to fly fish, i have fly fished most of me life, but because i could not find any locally, i have gave all my tackle to my grandson, ha ha rods reels ect ect ect, they are stuck in his mothers garage because he has move over here too,please post if you get any good results,keep promising to go for a ride to the rio frio, will do one day, i think you have lite a fire with a little spark,get out in some open space with your fly rod, put a cast on and a fly, cut the hook part off, then have a practise, you will find you are going to fast at first, slow down, you will feel the rod bend on the backward movement then bring it forward, great fun when it comes right,where are you, i'm in Mijas, i would like to watch you cast and give you my advice,blimey i would love to help you, but give it a go .if you can get a few yards, then have ago after the little barbel that are in all the rivers,

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Sat May 02, 2009 7:24 pm

I can recommend a good book by J.R.Hartley that should help :wink:

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:07 pm

redsoxbrit wrote:I can recommend a good book by J.R.Hartley that should help :wink:

well there you go, that is the fly anglers bible.

Design Guru
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Design Guru » Sun May 03, 2009 8:25 am

Apparently nearest places in Malaga are Igualeja and El Burgo according to a site I found.
Think there maybe a reservoir also North of Malaga city.

Thanks Ken, may take you up on that although I wanted to try it before I bought any tackle!

Design Guru
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Design Guru » Tue May 05, 2009 10:39 am

Ken, apparently you can fly fish salt water! Now you have some local water you can use.
Get your tackle back. ; )

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:24 pm

hi ya, to be honest ,all fish that feed on the serfice, will take a fly,even the odd carp,don't think i will start fly fishing again,it does take up a lot of work on big waters, the odd stream would be ok,my fishing days are on the computor with fishsim2.did a fly match last night, i had 177 fish 254lbs, it was far to easy, much to much work, never even got time to drink me gin,by the way that was a one hour match, and i will be no where near the winner,but thats fine with me,just had a go at next weeks, great ,a lot less fish and a bit harder,might get two gins in, ha ha

Design Guru
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Design Guru » Mon May 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Went out Saturday a.m. for my first saltwater fly session, bloody hard work!
Anyway got a little Sea Bass.
Would love to try the little streams as well, but the freshwater license is a pig to get hold of.
Did u manage to get one?

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Yes it took some getting, i had to have a u.k licence and fill in some forms and waited for months, only to find in was in the bank that i had paid it to,waiting for me to collect, but that was years ago, it was for five years, but at my age now, its free, but yes it is a bit of a nightmare,perhaps you can do it on line these days???well done on the bass,

Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Campo Gill » Mon May 11, 2009 7:33 pm

there is fly fishing at the lake at iznajar and also rio frio just before loja.
good luck

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed May 13, 2009 9:30 am

swerve wrote:Tried to click on your link but it doesent seem to work?
I think the link is:-

http://www.relaxinrealspain.com/thinkstodo.asp
Dave