Just to ask.........

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Sandramay
Resident

Just to ask.........

Postby Sandramay » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:10 pm

.......... if anyone else suffers from leg cramps in bed at night? Do you have a cure?
Sandramay

Andy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Just to ask.........

Postby Andy1 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:53 pm

I think its a lack of salt, probably due to the hot weather there. Drink plenty and maybe try some rehydration powder drinks?!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi Sandramay,
Know the pain too :twisted:

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Cramps-in-the-Leg.htm

I'm still working on some way to overcome the problem.
Could be we're all getting old :cry:
Hope Crazyred can come up with a natural remedy. :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Andy1 wrote:I think its a lack of salt, probably due to the hot weather there. Drink plenty and maybe try some rehydration powder drinks?!
Yes, I think that's the prescribed remedies, it's generally put down to dehydration and lack of salt. I had two miserable years in the Middle East whilst in the Forces, and salt pills were dished out free. Not sure how a salt free diet would fit in! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi,
I would go easy on the salt theory :twisted:
Doesn't really hold up in cold Northern countries. :?

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Here I am!!! :D :D

Cramps can be caused by a quinine deficiency so sipping Indian Tonic water can help.
There are many homeopathic remedies suitable for cramps including Cuprum, Chamomilla, Dulcamara, Graphites & Rhus Tox. The best remedy to use is dependant on the type of cramps, when it occurs, where it occurs, what (if anything) makes it better or worse and if there is an underlying reason for it (eg. medication, an accident).

The best ones to try if it is simply cramps from getting on a bit are Cuprum Metalicum & Rhus Tox.

Very important to keep well hydrated with water too although, unless you are severely dehydrated rehydration drinks probably won't be much help. Here's a homemade recipe which can be mixed up quickly if needed: 950ml water, 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) bicarbonate of soda, 2.5ml salt, 30-45ml (2-3 tblsp) sugar. This is (apparently) not suitable for children under 12 as parents are totally inept at getting the measurements correct. However, you can increase the water to 1 litre in case of emergency if you can't get sachets. Also, do not drink rehydration drinks alone for more than 24 hours.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Sandramay wrote:.......... if anyone else suffers from leg cramps in bed at night? Do you have a cure?
Just have another bottle of red before retiring Sandra!

Sid

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Well, the reason for the question is that for quite a few years I have suffered with cramp, sometimes two or three times a night. Frequently my legs still ached the next day. If you suffer you know what I mean. I do drink enough water but also try not to have too much salt.

Three weeks ago I was told to do something absurd and since then I have not had a single cramp..... I can't believe it, don't understand it and would like to try and evaluate it with other sufferers, just in case it's "all in the mind" :lol:
It's natural, free, recycles and it's not compulsory to quaff a bottle (or 2) of red every night Sid :wink: ..... though I suppose with enough there would be no memories of cramp :lol:

Sooooo, if you promise not to laugh (like I did) I'll share. :wink:
Sandramay

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:45 pm

H Sandramay,
I'd be happy for you to PM me with info 8)

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:12 pm

When I get cramp I jump straight out of bed and stand on floor.Find that this stops cramp immediately.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:55 pm

I'd be very interested and promise not to laugh :|
PM me if you prefer..

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi bunty,
Does that need to be a cold tiled floor, as I use the bed side mat and that doesn't work. :evil:

geo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby geo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:18 pm

come on sandra you gotta tell us now, I suffer from leg cramps bad but not at home in Spain, mainly when offshore at work, I think its to do with the strain on my legs with walking up and down so many stairs.
G
How come there is always to much month left at the end of the money???

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:26 pm

you have to share Sandra!!! I have them on and off and it drives me crazy in bed!!! :twisted:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:36 pm

I seem to get cramp in the pool more than anywhere else :? My OH suffers badly which is I think because he loses too much fluid/salt working out :roll: Doctor recommended drinking Aquarius.
Think we need your cure Sandra.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Well, having leg cramp two or three times most nights, I have tried almost everything to end the agony. Hubby almost pulling my legs off or trying to tuck them behind my ears (not a pretty sight), taking more salt, hobbling a groove in the bathroom tiles, legs up the wall, raising the bottom of the bed, leg cushion etc. etc. all to no avail.

Then recently I was staying with my cousin (and apologising in case I had woken her in the night with my cramp antics) and she said............... "PUT A WINE CORK IN THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BED"
Now I can just hear your reaction, much like mine was :lol: :lol:
She is a courier for a holiday coach company and always packs a cork or two in her luggage for herself and her clients.

So, overcoming my scepticism (and knowing her weird wart cure works) I decided to give it a try. I trimmed a wine cork......... yes it was red wine Sid :wink: Put the cork in the bottom of my bed and went to sleep. Result........... cramp once and found the cork on the floor in the morning. Next night the same. I then put the cork under the bottom sheet and mattress protector............ BLISS :D Not even a twinge and it's now three weeks on and I am still free of cramps!

I phoned my cousin at the weekend to thank her and said I would share her tip with any fellow sufferers, willing to give it a go :)

To me, there is no rhyme or reason behind it, all I know is that it works for me :D However I would be interested to know if you have any ideas or scientific insight.

Sorry I didn't get back on earlier, busy entertaining my granddaughter.

Now, all together, 1,2,3, :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Sandramay

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:20 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOh Karen! I bet John loves you being crazy in bed :lol: Nina en 2010 :wink:
Sandramay

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:25 pm

PS not sure of the efficacy of screw tops or synthetic corks :wink:
Sandramay

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:18 pm

I have always been told that cramps can (are?) caused by a deficiency in potassium.
A good source of potassium is bananas.

I find when I regularly (or semi-regularly) eat a banana, my exposure to leg cramps is much reduced.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:53 pm

Sandramay - you have just reminded me this was a cure my mother in law used when she was alive. When I changed her bedding there was always a cork down there somewhere.
Trouble in this hot weather is I sleep on top of the bed with no covers over me. Where do I put the cork so it will work??
I have had terrible cramps in the summer over here. I don't eat salt because of another medical condition and to be honest can't stand it on my food now. Because we don't eat ready meals over here I probably don't get much salt at all.
I have even taken to eating crisps to get some salt.