Ski pass + insurance Sierra Nevada

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Ski pass + insurance Sierra Nevada

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:19 am

Any ideas on where to get a season ski pass or just cheaper passes in advance of the season?
Also, can insurance be added to the pass at resorts?
Normally, I would cover this on travel insurance but as I will be in Spain for 6 months, I figured insurance would cover any slope rescue and the EHIC would cover the medical if ever needed.

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Ski pass + insurance Sierra Nevada

Postby AndyT » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:24 am

No idea about insurance but you buy the forfaits from the resort themselves. Looks like they are offering a 12.5% if you buy something now - http://www.sierranevada.es

Although bear in mind that the ski season is extremely unpredictable there. Last season was great and lasted three months or so, season before consisted of about 2 days good snow

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:36 am

Any idea son Spanish companies that insure for winter sports or just general sports activities?

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:14 pm

We have gone to praddollano for the last three years and have never had any problems buying ski passes while there. Avoid weekends when the population increases with the spanish coming up to ski. How long are you going up for ? If the weather is at all dodgy (foggy or windy) you are better off not having ski passes as they can be slightly clever & not close "all" the slopes. This means you dont get a refund on the pass. 8) 8)

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Err...it's not that I think there'd be a problem buying them...it;s simply that I want to get them cheaper.
I believe they are 12.5% discounted until end Oct but was wondering if there were other places:
http://www.sierranevada.es/activa

How busy does it actually get? Weekends are the ideal time for most people I suppose.

Do they have night skiing also? Any ideas on the prices for that?

Also, are there any deals for the parking?
I think it works out as EUR20 for 24hr but maybe EUR10 fur the duration of a day ski session.

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 am

Weekends are horrendous, you can spend two hours in a traffic jam just getting out of the place. Depending where you are going to be based the best bet is always to keep a very close eye on the webcams and weather reports from the site and then make a decision and drive up the next morning

Personally, I wouldn´t buy anything upfront as you have no idea on conditions and could be wasting a lot of money. In the season there are always really good deals on ski passes that include parking, hire, accommodation, etc. For example last season we paid 48€ for a days pass, equipment hire and parking (high season) - you get these deals by joining their Sierra Nevada Club, which is free

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:12 pm

I wouldn't even bother looking for deals, because as other posters have pointed out weather conditions are unpredictable, it's dirt cheap to ski in Spain anyway just turn up and pay on the day.
Ah! the full english!!

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:55 pm

Andy - how do you join the Sierra Nevada club?

nicks

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Go to their website, on the right/halfway down there is something that says Sierra Nevada Club and next to it: ¿No tienes cuenta? ¡Regístrate! click on ¡Regístrate! and fill in your details, attach a photo of yourself and then next time you go you pick up the card. For single trips up there it made it a bit easier (although you still have to queue in the Club office to pickup the bits of paper required for parking/equipment hire!) especially as the card becomes your lift pass and is automagically charged.